Author Topic: Fiire remote no longer working properly - gyro function intermittent  (Read 3717 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Just bought the Fiire remote (along with Darronmason, jo006, mortar and richardp)

I didn't have to do anything to install it - just plugged the dongle into a USB port and away it went. Have been using it for nearly a week, across several rebuilds of 0710b3. In the last couple of rebuilds I have noticed that it seems suddently now to loose the gryo function.

I know it goes to sleep after a while and I usually just hit the big hand button to wake it up, but now I can wake it and the gryo work for a split second or even 5-10 seconds, and then whilst I am still moving my hand around it seems to go to sleep again - buttons work fine, but the crosshairs stop dead until I hit the hand button again...

Has anybody seen this behaviour?

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fiire remote no longer working properly - gyro function intermittent
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:25:36 am »
Not to be funny, but did you check the batteries?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:29:48 am »
I have a set on their way home to me now! But was wondering in the meantime if anybody else had seen this for other reasons... that being said, the batteries were straight out of the pack 7 days ago, how long do they last normally?

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 01:37:54 am »
Mine didn't last very long that came with it, days maybe??

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 10:37:09 am »
It's probably just the batteries.

This is how I see when the batteries needs changing/charging.
The Gyro uses a lot of power, so when it lasts for a few seconds at the time change the batteries.

For me the Gyro lasts for a month on cheap batteries.

I have tried with rechargeable batteries with 2000mah but they need charging once a week.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:46:56 am »
OK, changed them - seems much better! Wow the batteries supplied must be crap!

I actually think there was another issue, though. On my last install the "connect" button wasn't really working. It asked me to press it, but no matter how many times I did it wouldn't register it - even though the gryo and buttons still worked. Initially, I thought that this too might be because the batteries were low - but I noticed that the LED on the remote was regularly flashing even though I wasn't doing anything - just lying on the table. Even if I gently tapped on the table near the remote it would flash. So I suspect that it had thrown itself for a loop and was never "sleeping" so the batteries drained much more quickly.

Anyway, things seem much better now - as soon as I replaced the battery, it could connect again and seems much smoother....