Author Topic: Creating A Mirror  (Read 11507 times)

Loki008

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Creating A Mirror
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 09:04:39 pm »

When I downloaded 7.10 in 64 and 32 bit version...  my speeds were generally in the 600-800K range....  that's fast...  I don't think I've ever gotten higher than that from a mirror...  in my experience torrents are just as fast if not faster...  IF enough people seed....  and with the built-in checking of the file, you can't beat it...

The problem is the difference in upload / download speeds. When you have an 10mb/768K it would take 10-15 active up loaders for every 1 downloader. When i downloaded linuxmce i was getting about 500-600K yet vs the 1-2MB/sec i get from newsgroups. This isn’t so much a complaint about torrents, but more of the way the ISPs sell bandwidth. Between the speed differential as well as the latest with blocking and forging packets to disallow p2p services in order for torrents to remain a viable distribution option something is going to have to force the isp's hand.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 09:45:37 pm »

When I downloaded 7.10 in 64 and 32 bit version...  my speeds were generally in the 600-800K range....  that's fast...  I don't think I've ever gotten higher than that from a mirror...  in my experience torrents are just as fast if not faster...  IF enough people seed....  and with the built-in checking of the file, you can't beat it...

The problem is the difference in upload / download speeds. When you have an 10mb/768K it would take 10-15 active up loaders for every 1 downloader. When i downloaded linuxmce i was getting about 500-600K yet vs the 1-2MB/sec i get from newsgroups. This isn’t so much a complaint about torrents, but more of the way the ISPs sell bandwidth. Between the speed differential as well as the latest with blocking and forging packets to disallow p2p services in order for torrents to remain a viable distribution option something is going to have to force the isp's hand.

Which is not an issue at all when you have a few dedicated seeds (mirrors are usually also not hosted on home connections).  ISPs that interfere with your datastreams are not worth your money, get a real ISP instead. 

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Loki008

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 09:59:39 pm »

Which is not an issue at all when you have a few dedicated seeds (mirrors are usually also not hosted on home connections).  ISPs that interfere with your datastreams are not worth your money, get a real ISP instead. 

Unfortunatly unless you want dialup most parts of the US has one Cable provider and one DSL provider, you have no say in who that is. Each provider bids for the license for the particular markets. That is one of the issues about network neutrality, at least here in the US we dont often have the choice to "get a real ISP instead."

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 05:50:41 pm »

Unfortunatly unless you want dialup most parts of the US has one Cable provider and one DSL provider, you have no say in who that is. Each provider bids for the license for the particular markets. That is one of the issues about network neutrality, at least here in the US we dont often have the choice to "get a real ISP instead."

Aparently only a small number of ISPs actually interfere with BT traffic: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs#United_States_of_America and most of the time they only throttle upload, which in this particular case of having dedicated seeders is not an issue. 

Please also note the actual number of users that came here to inform us that they are prevented from getting the files per torrent by their ISP.  Somehow it seems like a very miniscule problem (if even at all) to me.
-- Anonymous

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 07:08:27 pm »
I'll setup an FTP and post info here.

I have also been trying to download 710 via the torrents.  It's been 4 days and I'm currently getting 702bytes (yes bytes as in less than 1K) per second.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 07:44:59 pm »

I have also been trying to download 710 via the torrents.  It's been 4 days and I'm currently getting 702bytes (yes bytes as in less than 1K) per second.

Gee that's funny, I just grabbed the 0710-beta3-amd64 DVD ISO last night, eventhough it started out saying 33 days it actually took less then 2 hours...
-- Anonymous

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 07:46:49 pm »

sounds like a problem with your isp, or your setup... 

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 07:50:44 pm »
Don't think so, I sometimes get up to 15K or so and other torrents I download I can get up to 1.4Mb/sec.  I'm on 2 bonded 6Mbit SDSL lines.  Speed has never been a problem.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 08:00:55 pm »
Don't think so, I sometimes get up to 15K or so and other torrents I download I can get up to 1.4Mb/sec.  I'm on 2 bonded 6Mbit SDSL lines.  Speed has never been a problem.

there's a problem somewhere, because it's never taken me very long to download any of the torrents...

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 08:12:01 pm »
Don't know what it could be, I just tried a Morpheus download and was getting 392K/sec, Morpheus torrent 454K/sec, BitTorrent download 522K/sec. With files other than LMCE.

Download of LMCE DVD ISO is currently running in BitTorrent and I'm now getting 5.2K/sec.

I know there is no config or internet problem as anything else downloads at good speed.

Don't know what it could be other that not enough uploaders.

Edit:

LOL!! I'm uploading the damn thing at 31K/sec!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:14:42 pm by grepico »

needlern32724

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 01:17:17 pm »
I, too, am getting 5-8 k/s. Though in my case I'm downnloading the amd64 dvd. I imagine there might not be too many uploaders. This is a very painful, slow death. It may finish in two more days.

What happened to the ftp choices?

I also paid a mexican site $5.00 a week or so back(their fee) to download. I never got any link to their download site. What happened to it?

Wouldn't be so bad if 7.04 worked for me. It's a beautiful installation, just can't watch tv. Card locks up after ~15mins./

Just frustrated with this whole project!/end rant

9 year linux user,
Bill