Author Topic: Hoping someone here can help.  (Read 4981 times)

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hoping someone here can help.
« on: January 29, 2008, 05:44:46 pm »
I've got a Fiire Engine and two Fiire stations.  The core showed up with a failed hard drive so I put another drive in it and installed 704 from my download, all went well except when I tried to start the Fiire Station MD's. 

Evidently there are special VIA drivers that should have been on an installation DVD from the company which I did not receive.  So the Fiire techs uploaded "VIA archives" to my core last night but I have no clue as to what to do with them.  Unfortunately I'm told there won't be a tech available for four hours and I don't want to wait that long.  Can anybody tell me how I'm supposed to install these things?

The three files they sent are as follows:
boot.tgz
kubuntu.tgz
pluto44md.tgz

Any ideas?

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Hoping someone here can help.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:00:52 pm »
I've got a Fiire Engine and two Fiire stations.  The core showed up with a failed hard drive so I put another drive in it and installed 704 from my download, all went well except when I tried to start the Fiire Station MD's. 

Evidently there are special VIA drivers that should have been on an installation DVD from the company which I did not receive.  So the Fiire techs uploaded "VIA archives" to my core last night but I have no clue as to what to do with them.  Unfortunately I'm told there won't be a tech available for four hours and I don't want to wait that long.  Can anybody tell me how I'm supposed to install these things?

The three files they sent are as follows:
boot.tgz
kubuntu.tgz
pluto44md.tgz

Any ideas?

check your other post...  look on your core for the location of the diskless images and move the above files there.....  (make a backup of the images that are already there)

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:52:13 pm »
OK, as per Fiire I copied the files to /usr/pluto/diskless/install/via then removed the old md from the webadmin, reloaded the router and started my MD, now it just boot loops.

Any ideas?

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:55:43 pm »
OK, as per Fiire I copied the files to /usr/pluto/diskless/install/via then removed the old md from the webadmin, reloaded the router and started my MD, now it just boot loops.

Any ideas?

I thought the correct path was /usr/pluto/install but like I said earlier, my machine is not in front of me right now...

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:57:56 pm »
I saw that I have a via folder under /usr/pluto/install but as I said I just used the path they told me.

I think I'll try to put them in the /usr/pluto/install folder and see what happens.  (making a backup of the existing files of course.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 09:10:13 pm »
I saw that I have a via folder under /usr/pluto/install but as I said I just used the path they told me.

I think I'll try to put them in the /usr/pluto/install folder and see what happens.  (making a backup of the existing files of course.

I guessed you needed the mkdir command to create the /diskless/via folders...  possibly when you buy the core from them, their md's boot to the path they gave you...  I think if you copy to /usr/pluto/install/via it may work.

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:12:57 pm »
Tried that and same result.  MD gets to "Running Diskless_ExportNFS.sh" then just reboots.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:15:12 pm »
Tried that and same result.  MD gets to "Running Diskless_ExportNFS.sh" then just reboots.

There's one normal reboot when setting up a diskless md..  does it keep coming to that same point and reboot..  ie a loop??

Also, have you deleted the MD from the webadmin to start over completely?

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 09:51:56 pm »
If I were you, I'd make sure the images are in both locations; /usr/pluto/install and /usr/pluto/diskless/install just in case this is something fiire specific, deleted the md from the webadmin and start over.

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 05:54:10 pm »
OK, new update.  Here's where I am.

Evidently the Fiire tech that told me the VIA files go in /usr/pluto/diskless/install/via was wrong.  Got a new tech that says the path is /usr/pluto/install/via.  He says that if I put the files boot.tgz kubuntu.tgz and pluto44md.tgz in that folder then boot the MD all should be well.  Well it isn't.

I actually did a complete reinstall of 704 completed the wizard adding no AV equipment or extraneous devices, put the files where they say they're supposed to go and booted the MD.  Now I'm back to where I was when I started which is the MD boots, gets to Diskless_ExportNFS.sh then reboots.  I've left it on for up to 2 hours and it never gets past that point.

Here is my question.  Does just putting those files there automatically work?  It seems to me that you would have to edit some config file or something to point to the new path as I've created a new folder in the install directory (via).  Is anybody out there using the Fiire stations that can maybe help me with this?

Ideally I'd like to have the custom install DVD I was supposed to get with this hardware but Polywell has yet to return my calls or emails (as usual).

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 06:04:28 pm by grepico »

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 06:58:43 pm »
OK, new update.  Here's where I am.

Evidently the Fiire tech that told me the VIA files go in /usr/pluto/diskless/install/via was wrong.  Got a new tech that says the path is /usr/pluto/install/via.  He says that if I put the files boot.tgz kubuntu.tgz and pluto44md.tgz in that folder then boot the MD all should be well.  Well it isn't.

I actually did a complete reinstall of 704 completed the wizard adding no AV equipment or extraneous devices, put the files where they say they're supposed to go and booted the MD.  Now I'm back to where I was when I started which is the MD boots, gets to Diskless_ExportNFS.sh then reboots.  I've left it on for up to 2 hours and it never gets past that point.

Here is my question.  Does just putting those files there automatically work?  It seems to me that you would have to edit some config file or something to point to the new path as I've created a new folder in the install directory (via).  Is anybody out there using the Fiire stations that can maybe help me with this?

Ideally I'd like to have the custom install DVD I was supposed to get with this hardware but Polywell has yet to return my calls or emails (as usual).

Any help would be appreciated.

Man, you're having a rough time considering you bought it all and it should have just worked..  I still think that when you buy a core from fiire that it may be setup differently than a regular install...  try backing up one directory level and put the images in /usr/pluto/install without a via subdirectory...  i'm just grasping now....  shotgun approach...