Author Topic: I'm sooo confused..  (Read 5303 times)

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
I'm sooo confused..
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:14:26 pm »
I've installed lmce 3 or 4 times in the last couple months, but I'm confused on what I did different this time.  Everything is all setup (again), but from within MythTV, I cannot change the channel of my satellite stb.

I have no cable or antenna hooked up to the TV.  I have only one core/md hybrid.  I have a PVR 150 which is configured to have the STB connected to svideo (picture works fine in MythTV). 

The other difference is now there is an entry for Live TV - H21-200 (my STB model).  From there I can watch TV, but none of the options do anything, no channel changing, nothing unless I use the STB remote itself and change things directly.  It's semi-redundant and I'd always prefer to go into Myth, how can I remove it?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm sooo confused..
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:00:05 am »
the new LiveTV button that you are seeing, is what happens when you define a device template for your device, and tell LinuxMCE that you have one connected and is providing TV.

It uses Xine_Player to display TV, and sends DCE messages to change channels. But why is it here?

(1) faster response.. good for channel surfing and alarm events such as tune the weather channel when you get up...
(2) Direct A/V possibility. If you have also connected say, the HDMI cable to your cable box's DVI port, you can get high definition output, and just have LinuxMCE switch inputs on your TV and reciever, while still using your LinuxMCE remote to change channels etc with no latency. This also allows you to view HD content as well. No other system out there does this.

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:39:29 am »
ok, thanks for the answer on live TV.  I may use it in the future, or I may just try to figure out how to turn it off.

For the more important question, USBUIRT is not changing channels on my STB with this latest RC1 install.  I don't believe it's sending codes at all, or not correct.  I went back into where you can set the remote buttons and test them.  I re-read a few keys and tried testing them all, but none have any affect on the STB.  Either it's not sending the codes, or it's not sending them correctly. 

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 03:44:41 am »
when it's sending the codes, is the UIRT blinking?

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:10:11 am »
when it's sending the codes, is the UIRT blinking?

-Thom

I honestly never realized it blinked when sending codes.  But yes, when I type in a channel to change to, it does blink the appropriate number of blinks.  Everything is physically in the same location as early today when it was working before i reinstalled, and I have tried pointing the USBUIRT directly at the STB.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:54:56 am »
try getting a Xantech 286 double emitter, and affixing one of the emitters to the device itself, as close to the IR window as you can. Some users have reported under i386 that the emitter only works if you use an external emitter and not the on-board one.

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 06:24:45 pm »
try getting a Xantech 286 double emitter, and affixing one of the emitters to the device itself, as close to the IR window as you can. Some users have reported under i386 that the emitter only works if you use an external emitter and not the on-board one.

-Thom

I really hate just throwing hardware at a problem without know why the problem is there or if it will even fix it.  I'll keep it as a last resort, but I'm not quite there yet.

Perhaps this will shed some light.  I pulled the USBUIRT and plugged it into a different USB port, and after the "installing new device" box in the upper left corner, I was presented with a big blue screen that read:

"The device was added but is missing some config data which can be downloaded only from Internet.  The device will not work properly until that info is downloaded." 

Same thing when I moved it back to the first USB port.  I'm not really sure where to go from here.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:27:48 pm »
that happens when it can't download drivers from the net. It's important that your core can properly access the internet.

-Thom

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 06:48:36 pm »
so does that mean it will continue to try to DL?  At least whenever I unplug/plug it in?

I tried to find the log to see what is failing, but I couldn't find it.  Can you give me a pointer where I can get more info so I can investigate what isn't downloading?

edit:  the core should be able to access the internet just fine.  I'll installed the extra software packages (assuming via the internet), I can ping yahoo.com from a command line, I installed postfix and dovecot via apt-get....
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 06:51:17 pm by skeptic »

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:45:47 pm »
solved that issue.  I discovered I was pointing to a SLOW nameserver, and while everything works I'm guessing the script was timing out.  Switching to itself as the primary nameserver drops a wget of the file (found the script I believe) from 30 seconds to under 1 second, and the missing config data message didn't appear when unplugging/plugging in of the USBUIRT.

Still doesn't work, but I haven't had a chance to reboot (kills internet for other computers).