Author Topic: Thinking about whole house multichannel audio solution in SW for LMCE ...  (Read 14834 times)

jetrich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about whole house multichannel audio solution in SW for LMCE ...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 03:55:08 am »
The new headless Squeezebox is $150 but you would still need an amp for it. And some type of controller. You could use the 6 button ZWave in wall controller e.g. http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/ZWave/Leviton-zwave/Item/RZCZ4-1LX/ and take two buttons to control the audio back through the system. It would take some coding to implement but the structure is there.
With that system, though, you would navigating the system control blindly. Might work in some instances, however it would not be my preference. I do like to see what I am doing. I do think that would be a good option though.

One could build a DIY system with http://www.htd.com/amplifiers/12-Channel-Amplifier or some of the other htd offerings if they fit the bill.

My thought with the Squeezebox was to create a method of transferring the audio from LMCE to the amplifier without the mess of coding multiple outputs on the soundcard. Or even requiring multiple soundcards. Just allowing the squeezebox to be a "ghost MD" of sorts.

Something like this:
LMCE -> Squeezebox (RCA output) -> multi-channel amplifier -> speakers

The Russound (I believe) and NuVo systems would also allow for smart keypads that could also display the metadata from LMCE (transmitted via RS232).
http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/concerto.htm#grandconcerto
http://www.russound.com/caa.htm

why wouldn't you stick an N800 nearby, instead?
Because the N800 is overkill (features and $$$) for this application IMHO and I personally like the keypads better. :) The keypads also come with the NuVo systems by default and the NuVo systems are what I am offering for sale and installation. There would also be power savings by using the very low power keypads in lieu of N800s which would require power adapters and would be much more difficult to integrate into a finished wall for a seamless appearance.

As a side note, one of the notes listed in the original post requested temporary muting for announcements with playback resuming. The NuVo systems in particular do offer this feature with a 12V switch. By activating the switch one can temporarily mute the playback and change all zones to source 6 until the switch is released. LMCE could output audio to source 6 to achieve this. I'm honestly not sure what other systems offer this so if anybody does please post it so the options are on the table. Of course I'm curious as well.

I do apologize if I have hijacked this thread, it was not my intention.

Jason
Silverstone LC20M (silver)
Fiire Chief
Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Skystar 2
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 150 MCE
PNY 7300GT
Sony XL1B3
Sherwood RVD-6090 (needs replaced)
32" RCA SDTV

sk1

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 05:04:06 am »
One could build a DIY system with http://www.htd.com/amplifiers/12-Channel-Amplifier or some of the other htd offerings if they fit the bill.

Thank you Jason, you just made my night.  This is exactly what I need, 2 to be exact.  I have seen similar items, I'm looking at you Channel Vision, but this one is much more robust with the doorbell and page features, plus more inputs.  My google-fu must be weak lately...

Skip

jetrich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 04:55:29 pm »
Thank you Jason, you just made my night.  This is exactly what I need, 2 to be exact.  I have seen similar items, I'm looking at you Channel Vision, but this one is much more robust with the doorbell and page features, plus more inputs.  My google-fu must be weak lately...

Skip
No problem. I just wish htd allowed for dealers. I think I have several clients where these systems would be beneficial.

Jason
Fiire Chief
Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Skystar 2
PNY 7300GT
Sony XL1B3
32" RCA SDTV

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 06:37:20 pm »
The N800 would also make sense and its already done. But its a different form factor and the Duet remote will run through Slimserver as delivered. I'm in favor of as many options as possible.

jetrich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 07:49:44 pm »
The N800 would also make sense and its already done. But its a different form factor and the Duet remote will run through Slimserver as delivered. I'm in favor of as many options as possible.

I agree! I believe that we should have enough options to fill nearly every need.
Fiire Chief
Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Skystar 2
PNY 7300GT
Sony XL1B3
32" RCA SDTV

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 07:58:41 pm »
so does anybody know of a multi-zone amp/receiver thats supported in linuxmce? all i have seen is the cav 6.6 but no one seems to use it. anyone know if the nuvo or russound stuff works?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

jetrich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 12:04:39 am »
I'm honestly not sure if any of them work at the moment. I'll soon be acquiring a low-end NuVo unit for testing and demo purposes so I can hopefully get a GSD driver written, or at least started. There are two or three protocols for the NuVo head units, so I may actually have to get all three of the units to test them exhaustively.
Fiire Chief
Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Skystar 2
PNY 7300GT
Sony XL1B3
32" RCA SDTV