Author Topic: Added control for TV, but it does strange things!  (Read 3880 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Added control for TV, but it does strange things!
« on: January 28, 2008, 02:49:05 am »
I added a new device for my Samsung LCD TV - M8, I am using a USB UIRT.

I was able to find the right i/r codeset, and really all I want it do be able to do is turn the TV on and off at the right times. I don't use it for sound, and all the input is via HDMI direct from the core, no other inputs.

It seems to work fine, turning on and off the TV when I explicitly tell it to. However, strangely whenever I choose TV from the Media menu, it turns the TV off! Seems to think that the TV should be off - I'm assuming this is executing a scenario, and for some reason whatever I have configured for the connections is making it think that it is done with the TV and its time to turn it off!

No, the TV has discrete controls, even for power - that was confirmed in the wizard. All I did was create a new device and template because it didn't have one for my TV, configured the i/r commands, then went into the connections wizard - from there I clicked on the output of the Core and the HDMI input of TV, and it drew a line between the two. I figured that was it.

Can anybody advise what I am missing? BTW, the source select on the TV isn't discrete, it cycles through the options, and the wizard acknowledged that, so I am assuming it won't attempt to change it - but even if it does it doesn't matter as nothing else is connected, so the TV just ignores the command.

Col

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Added control for TV, but it does strange things!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:20:51 am »
I added a new device for my Samsung LCD TV - M8, I am using a USB UIRT.

I was able to find the right i/r codeset, and really all I want it do be able to do is turn the TV on and off at the right times. I don't use it for sound, and all the input is via HDMI direct from the core, no other inputs.

It seems to work fine, turning on and off the TV when I explicitly tell it to. However, strangely whenever I choose TV from the Media menu, it turns the TV off! Seems to think that the TV should be off - I'm assuming this is executing a scenario, and for some reason whatever I have configured for the connections is making it think that it is done with the TV and its time to turn it off!

No, the TV has discrete controls, even for power - that was confirmed in the wizard. All I did was create a new device and template because it didn't have one for my TV, configured the i/r commands, then went into the connections wizard - from there I clicked on the output of the Core and the HDMI input of TV, and it drew a line between the two. I figured that was it.

Can anybody advise what I am missing? BTW, the source select on the TV isn't discrete, it cycles through the options, and the wizard acknowledged that, so I am assuming it won't attempt to change it - but even if it does it doesn't matter as nothing else is connected, so the TV just ignores the command.

Col

Hey Colin,

I had this problem at when I got my usb-uirt. Basically, i was able to solve it by double checking the connection wizard. In the admin site, under  'A/V Equipment'. Right above the 'Choose entertainment area' should be the connection wizard. Using that, make sure all the av equipment is connected to the proper inputs and whatnot.  I would say double check both on the av equipment page and the media directors page in the web admin

Another option is to choose the entertainment area and next to each device there is an option to select what and how its connected. Double check this as well to make sure the right devices are connected to the proper inputs and so in. After that everything should work.

I currently have my ps2, desktop, dvd player and tuner attached to the tv. The usb_uirt was originally firing the wrong input commands until i set the connections up properly.

Also, on my system, the tv gets out of sync for some reason when I reload the router. It doesnt send an off command to the tv (ir) but it does to the reciever (ir). So then it tells the reciever to come back on but turns the tv off because it thought it was off? Thats my only bug really, everything else works now.

hth,

golgo.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:15:40 am by golgoj4 »
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:57:21 am »
yes, make sure you turn off your TV and other AV gear (minus the stuff you switched to explicitly ignore on/off in web admin), when you reload your router.

This is because DCERouter does NOT save system state when it is killed.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 01:58:30 am »
Hmmm... as I mentioned, the TV supports (and LMCE is configured for) discrete/absolute power, not toggle. There seem to be a number of events when it will switch off the TV. When you hit TV, or when you stop it, and even it seems when you go to KDE desktop...

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:11:46 pm »
Hmmm... as I mentioned, the TV supports (and LMCE is configured for) discrete/absolute power, not toggle. There seem to be a number of events when it will switch off the TV. When you hit TV, or when you stop it, and even it seems when you go to KDE desktop...

i have this behavior sometimes too. Sadly, sometimes you need to change things in the connection wizard to get it to understand your setup. It took me a long while to get it working (mostly) and i posted a similar thread to this one about it.

I would say, double check the Media Director page and make sure it knows that the tv device is the display output.

My system shuts down the tv, then turns it back on and switches back to the lmce input whenever i turn a device off, i.e. dvd player or ps2.

for some reason it doesn't do that with my reciever when listening to the radio and im still trying to figure that one out.

I realize my advice is general but i really did have to play with it to get things working properly.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

ouie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 07:38:25 pm »
Same problem here...still trying to get it right... but I have minimized it by playing with the same web admin settings as described above.