Author Topic: Netgear EVA8000 - has anyone played around with this  (Read 3020 times)

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
Netgear EVA8000 - has anyone played around with this
« on: January 27, 2008, 07:04:11 am »
I saw this product at a computer store and immediately saw a solution that would be a great MD if only it would be able to do a PXE boot.  However, after reading further, I learned that this device will read content from M$, MAC and Linux (or so they say).  I was wondering if anyone on the boards have had a chance to llook at one of these and what do they think:

http://netgear.com/Products/Entertainment/DigitalMediaPlayers/EVA8000.aspx?detail=Specifications

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Netgear EVA8000 - has anyone played around with this
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 08:55:46 am »
If you get ushare to start or the Myth UPNP server to start the Netgear will give you access to the content on the server. You can also use the Syabas based boxes (Popcorn Hour, Buffalo, IOData, etc.) and there are several Linux servers that you can run on the core to support them. They work OK and won't break the system (i have tried them).
None of these will give you the functionality of an Orbiter and no access to control. You may also need to do some tweaking to access the DVD images. Possibly you will need to decrypt them to play them.

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:50:14 am »
Thanks for the quick reply.  So it really looks like the only option for a slim or small form factor system is really the Fiire stations.  Are there any other manufacturers getting into this market ?

I've built an ITX system and it works ok, but not stylish or fit with all the other stereo components asthetically.  I'm looking for a low cost MD that I can either manufacture or buy that does not take up much space and fits in with my other components.

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:42:50 pm »
You should look at the Barbones bookcase systems.  I've purchase a couple andd they work great..Now my only problem is the MCE and this PXEBoot problem.  Had all of these systems running great, one day my core crashed, when I restarted it, none the systems would PXE Boot.  two weeks working on it and I'm HOSED.  This is the second time and I'm not totally sure how to deal with it.

but these systems are really great for this application.  You might want to check out this system :  http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0263326

extremeshannon

• Regular Poster
  • Base Jumping in Twin Falls
    • View Profile
    • ExtremeShannon
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:23:11 am »
I have an EVA8000 myself before I found LinuxMCE. They work ok if you just want to have shares on your network and able to access them. I would suggest Barebones or another MD before buying these to use with LinuxMCE you won't get most the functions out of the EVA8000.

Just my thoughts