Shit... look like App_Server is a binary not a script. Thats great.. meaning I probably won't be able to change the command line switches from the binary lol, not without grabbing the source and recompiling... ick
Thanks Z for pointing me in the right direction, i'll play with this some more tonite when I get home. If you think of another method let me know.
Previously while I was waiting for some general guidance, I checked all the DCE entries from the web admin panel, I found the DCE where MythTv_Player is being called, but it's a plugin so there are no command line switches to change. I assumed mythfrontend was being called from the MythTv_Player plugin, which is also an executable not a script, so i'm shit out of luck yet again either way. And I will never go poking around in there again, I don't remember changing anything, but when I was done and tried to click on TV from lmce interface it gave me an error about the device no longer existing or something like that, so immediately I grabbed my WELL WORN lmce cd and re-installed, then marked # 57th install on the side of the case. lmce breaks very easily, especially in the hands of a total moron/assclown/douche pickle, whatever you want to call me is fine.
Just as an experiment, you might try dropping the memory to 2 gigs if you can with your current set of memory/slot combinations. 4gig systems must overlay some of the memory over bios sections and map it out, and if there are bugs in your bios, it may be causing issues as the system runs. It might also explain why you have the problem from LMCE but not from KDE - LMCE does other things while the media is being played back - things that KDE/Myth are not doing.
I am going to give Richard's suggestion a shot in the dark. But i've tried this on 3 seperate systems, only 1 of them worked properly. The other two that freeze are PCI-E boards, the one that doesn't freeze is an AGP board. Don't know if that means anything, but eh.
Regardless of what kind of obscure hardware compatibility problem it could be, the fact remains, if I run mythfrontend without the "-v all" then it never ever ever ever never freezes, now if I could just get lmce interface to run mythfrontend WITHOUT the "-v all"... hmm...
Well I have somewhere to look now, but like I said, first glance, it's an executable that calls mythfrontend so i'm pretty sure i'm !FUCKED!
So, a re-cap for those who maybe having the same problem.
MythTV would freeze when launched from lmce. When ran from KDE it never froze. So initially I tried another install on a different system, same problem. Then I played with the buffer settings of the ivtv module. Then I played with mythtv internal settings, trying different codecs, opengl vs qt painter, opengl v-sync on/off, all sorts of combinations. Only one combination would break MythTV from KDE, that was the VIA or Standard XV codec would freezey freeze real fast. Have no idea why Standard XV is default if it freezes like that. Anyways moving on, so after trying hardware setting, software settings, re-install, another computer, I finally asked myself the important question. That was "what does launching it from lmce do different than me just typing "mythfrontend" from a terminal?" So I look at a "ps -ax | grep mythfrontend" while mythtv is running from lmce and find 3 command line parameters it uses to launch mythtv. So naturally, I launch mythtv from KDE (where it never froze) using the command parameters lmce uses, and VIOLA IT FROZE!!!! So now I had something go on, I systematically remove a single parameter and ran mythfrontend until it stopped freezing. The parameter that was causing the freezing? "-v all" which from what I understand turns logging level all the way up. Well who cares, I want it to go away so I can watch TV through my tuner. So that leaves me where I am now, looking for a way to modify the command parameters lmce uses to launch mythfrontend. Any one out there than can help, please I could use some guidance. I am taking Zearc's suggestion very seriously, but at first glance, it looks like a binary file calling mythfrontend, and I don't see how i'll modify that without the source code, and i'm no programming guru so I wouldn't know where to begin modifying the source code. The most I can do is debug for basic typo's and compile stuff. But from what I understand, this distro of ubunutu doesn't even have includes, libraries, and such i'd need to even compile a simple program. So I still feel stuck, but we'll see what I get home tonite to play with some of this, SOME MORE...
Oh, forgot to mention, I get this behavior with 7.04 or 7.10... both do the same thing...