Author Topic: Stability Issues with 0710Beta3? Please post here....  (Read 23875 times)

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Stability Issues with 0710Beta3? Please post here....
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 12:40:19 am »
Ok, I will keep you guys well informed of my progress then.

So far, it's looking like the best route to take, 2 others have reported the identical behavior.

I still, for the life of me, can't understand how logging is causing mythtv to freeze, lol.. I mean out of all things, I seriously suspected it to be the windowed mode option "-w mythfrontend"(which was scary because without windowed mode i'm guessing you don't get the lmce interface overlay) if anything... but sure enough... it was the logging level.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 01:26:32 am »
RichardP, darrenmason beat you to the punch.  He illustrated where it's being called from in the source here
176                     DCE::CMD_Spawn_Application CMD_Spawn_Application(m_dwPK_Device,pDevice_App_Server->m_dwPK_Device,
177                         "/usr/bin/mythfrontend", "mythfrontend", "-v\tall\t-w\t" MYTH_WINDOW_NAME "\t-geometry\t" + sWidth + "x" + sHeight,
178                         sMessage + "1",sMessage + "0",false,false,true,false);

I have already downloaded the full linuxmce source code and am recompiling as I post this message.  I removed the -v all option from the source code.  I also enhanced the firewall interface and capabilities because I got tired of having to specify my iptables rules at the command line in a startup script.  That was driving me nuts.

Oops. But I see why I missed it. Can you email me the file name and location? I'd like to change the code so the parameters can be specified using an external file, or maybe entered in the Admin site. It would be useful to be able to adjust for different hardware, I had a lot of grief in B3 with it, and I don't think it will change in B4.

Best Regards,
Richard.

Best Regards,
Richard

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 01:43:15 am »
Once you download the source from svn, it's: trunk/src/MythTV_Player/MythTV_Player.cpp line 715

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 03:47:32 am »
[SOLVED]

I recompiled the MythTV_Player plugin from source, but having it call mythfrontend without the "-v all" option for max log level... I replaced the binaries, rebooted, and have been watching stable MythTV through the linuxmce interface for 2 hours before making this post.  I know after only 60 seconds, the longest I got previously was 20.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 02:45:01 pm »
I recompiled the MythTV_Player plugin from source, but having it call mythfrontend without the "-v all" option for max log level... I replaced the binaries, rebooted, and have been watching stable MythTV through the linuxmce interface for 2 hours before making this post.  I know after only 60 seconds, the longest I got previously was 20

I don’t know if this is possible since I am still somewhat new to Linux but is there any way I can get a copy of the updated binary files with some step by step instructions on how to install them? I would be very very thankful.

-Dustin
Core: Broken :(

d3cadent

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 04:52:09 pm »
Although this issue should possibly be corrected in the release image in the first place, posting your binary somewhere could be a quick remedy for some people experiencing this problem. I'm one of them too, shouldn't you've guessed.

I understand orionsune doesn't possibly want to build a release 4 different versions for the main supported CPU platforms, but at least you could post the one you already have built.

Or, if you're really willing to do it, I'd need the IA32 version  :)

Cheers,

d3ca

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 10:13:45 pm »
I have no problem sharing my binary, but i'd rather not post it public, I don't want to violate any license agreements or anything I may have agreed to without reading like 99.9% of the population.
There is one thing to keep in mind.  I compiled this binary on an amd64 installation of lmce and platform.  I don't know if it'll work on i386, it might it might not.

If you'd like, compiling the source was very straight forward and error-free for me.  All I did was download the source and followed the instruction listed here http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Building_From_Source.

You will need to install svn for starters...
Code: [Select]
apt-get install subversionOnce you've downloaded the source using svn
svn co http://svn.charonmedia.org/svn/trunk
Then navigate to the (use your respective directories)
cd /usr/src/lmce/trunk/src/MythTV_Player/directory and vi or nano the file MythTV_Player.cpp.
nano MythTV_Player.cpp
Go down around line 900 - 1000 and search for something that is near those lines like the word "geometry", and you'll see something like this:
                DCE::CMD_Spawn_Application CMD_Spawn_Application(m_dwPK_Device,pDevice_App_Server->m_dwPK_Device,
                        "/usr/bin/mythfrontend", "mythfrontend", "-w\t" MYTH_WINDOW_NAME "\t-geometry\t" + sWidth + "x" + sHeight,
                        sMessage + "1",sMessage + "0",false,false,true,false);
                if( SendCommand(CMD_Spawn_Application) )

This is what mine looks like after I made the change... the change was to thie line
"/usr/bin/mythfrontend", "mythfrontend", "-w\t" MYTH_WINDOW_NAME "\t-geometry\t" + sWidth + "x" + sHeight,it used to look like this
"/usr/bin/mythfrontend", "mythfrontend", "-v\tall\t-w\t" MYTH_WINDOW_NAME "\t-geometry\t" + sWidth + "x" + sHeight,remove the "-v\tall\t" or just copy paste my previously modified line over top your line.

Once you save that file, just continue following the instructions from the url I listed and everything SHOULD compile fine.  During the compile process you may be stopped and asked to continue because some package failed to compile.  Just make note of which package failed to compile, and as long as it's NOT the MythTV_Player package, then just answer yes and continue compiling.

Once compilation is complete, simple make a backup copy of your existing MythTV_Player binary
cp /usr/src/pluto/bin/MythTV_Player /usr/src/pluto/bin/MythTV_Player.origthen copy your newly compiled binary in it's appropiate place.
cp /usr/src/lmce/trunk/src/bin/MythTV_Player /usr/pluto/bin/
Then reboot...

NOTE: Keep in mind the build instruction mention doing all this as a normal user not root, they are correct, I accidentally ran the build as root and got nothing but errors.  It worked fine as a normal user.

If you'd like to try my binary first, just send me an e-mail.

E-Mail me at orionsune@sunetech.net

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2008, 12:50:24 am »
orionsune - a while back I took the plunge and downloaded the source, then started following those instructions you linked to. No idea what I was doing! Something part way through compilation spooked me, so I ctrl-c'd and chickened out! Was doing this on my production machine and I think I thought maybe it was doing something to the working LMCE that might break it... and wasn't prepared to take the risk given that I had no idea what I was doing!

Am I right to take from this that compiling the source on a working LMCE box is completely contained within the folders you create for src/lmce and it will do nothing to the working components of LMCE running in the background? I am not using MythTV (VDR) but I would like to take some tentative steps into looking at source code and re-compiling, etc...

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2008, 01:06:53 am »
collinjones, I think I know where you got spooked.  I was very spooked out by something I saw during compilation, it was something about shutting down my sql server, then it backed up the databse, then it deleted the database, then it ...... well you get the idea, I was so spooked I went and checked with phpmyadmin, and my database was in tact and everything, so I don't understand what it was doing, but it didn't hurt my production stuff.

I was watching MythTV the entire time it was compiling (the second time after i fixed the freezing) and it didn't lag at all. This is on a AMD X2 4200 with 4gb of ram though.

All I know, is the instruction claim the compilation has to be done on a linuxmce installed machine.  So I took the risk, i've recompiled twice now with no problems.

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2008, 09:43:12 pm »
colin, orion: I've fixed the "-v all" in the source. This wasn't causing problems for me, but my lowliest computer running LMCE is an AMD64 dual core 4200+. "-v all" produces debugging for every audio buffer drained, every network event, every db change, everything! It's a crazy option to use in a production build. Good catch.

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2008, 10:30:35 pm »
Man thats strange, because i'm running amd64 with the exact cpu a 4200... and it froze on me... i'm willing to be it's chipset or memory related... anyways, thanx daniel!

khonshu

• View Profile
    • AndyCrawford.info
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2008, 07:49:48 am »
Just wanted to chime in with the same issue.

However, the issue doesn't lead me to believe it chipset related.  I'm running a socket 775 P4, 2gb DDR2 533 ram, NVidia 8600, PVR150...  a very different configuration, with little in common with your AMD setups.  And have had this exact lockup using MythTV issue as well.  Maybe memory related.  Both with 7.10 beta 3 and beta 4.  MythTV runs fine for me as it does others of you, so long as it's without the -v all option.

I did see that it's been changed in the latest subversion.  And will be testing this on my configuration in the next couple days.  It has kept me from running lmce on my production TV, but I'll again replace MythBuntu with lmce and try it.

And thanks all for the solution!  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 07:55:30 am by khonshu »

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2008, 12:06:37 pm »
The corresponding Mantis was resolved recently: http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=4014
And please check the update here (you can get the latest binary with fix): http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/KnownIssues_0710_Beta4

Rukus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2008, 12:15:19 am »
Awesome!!!! ;D

I've been searching all over for a fix for this issue.  Finally, I can watch LiveTV without it freezing on me after 2 seconds.  Thanks orionsune for bringing this up in the forum and coming up with your own fix before this new fix.  LCME rocks and so do the folks on this forum.  Thanks everyone.

Core/Generic Hybrid MD
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core
GPU: GPU: XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 01:59:28 am »
that new fix is not new at all, that fix is my fix that someone else (with write access to the svn repositories) applied to the source, recompiled and made available...