Author Topic: Linux Orbiter available like in Windows?  (Read 3920 times)

dukat

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Linux Orbiter available like in Windows?
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:20:25 pm »
Hi,

I've got a dedicated core running and would like to use it from my normal Kubuntu desktop. I don't see the point in rebooting over the network, and have kubuntu again, just to watch some pictures.

I think the Windows orbiter is a fine idea. Just download it and go. Why doesn't this exist for Linux? I know I can install the Linux MD on kubuntu from the LMCE install CDs (after it detects a running core, it allowsn me a MD installation), but this changes my whole system! It deinstalls aptitude and a lot of other stuff, and I had to manually get my system back to normal!

There are a lot of .debs on the Linux install CD, isn't there just one I can install and have an orbiter without my system turned upside down?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Orbiter available like in Windows?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 12:00:39 am »
The windows orbiter merely functions as a remote control, it doesn't actually play media locally.

For now I doubt there is an easy way to install just the orbiter package, especially without turning your system upside down.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

PacGyver

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 04:31:55 pm »
I am using Windows Orbiter under Wine without any problems

dukat

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 02:26:33 am »
I am using Windows Orbiter under Wine without any problems

A strange application indeed, given Linux MCE's roots...

alphapenguin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 01:58:41 am »
I was wondering this myself, I am thinking of setting up some of my old PCs with linux of some sort and hook it up to a touchscreen monitor (cheaper than one of those crestrons) and use it as a remote.  Using the winorbiter is great, but installing a free OS would be easier than me digging up some old OS disks and dealing with the registration keys.

So any update or new info on this topic?

Otherwise I guess I could either just install WinXp/me/98 on those comps or go the Wine route.

Thanks,
Alex

Hi,

I've got a dedicated core running and would like to use it from my normal Kubuntu desktop. I don't see the point in rebooting over the network, and have kubuntu again, just to watch some pictures.

I think the Windows orbiter is a fine idea. Just download it and go. Why doesn't this exist for Linux? I know I can install the Linux MD on kubuntu from the LMCE install CDs (after it detects a running core, it allowsn me a MD installation), but this changes my whole system! It deinstalls aptitude and a lot of other stuff, and I had to manually get my system back to normal!

There are a lot of .debs on the Linux install CD, isn't there just one I can install and have an orbiter without my system turned upside down?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:59:59 am »
The Linux orbiter can be run on other machines, just make sure you have some of the pluto libraries in tow, you can find this out when running an ldd on Orbiter.

The problem is, the Linux orbiter expects to run in an environment where it is the ONLY thing displaying, it doesn't wrap into its own window very well. This needs to be addressed.

Until then, either let it run by itself, or
use wine, it works perfectly on linux.. just msiexec /a orbiter.msi

-Thom