Author Topic: Few questions before I begin.  (Read 3111 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Few questions before I begin.
« on: November 06, 2005, 02:58:38 pm »
Hello,

I'm considering installing pluto onto my home linux server but have a few questions before I start:

How well does pluto coexist with other services running on the server? I currently have IMAP, webmail and a samba fileshare running on my home server: will pluto affect these?

Can the media directors be set up to switch between video outputs? In my living room I have a sony crt tv and a dlp projector. I'd like to be able to switch between these at the push of a button on the orbiter (with the tv fed from TV out of the video card and the projector fed via DVI). The other option is to have tv out only and use my av receiver as a video switch but this gives poor quality on the projector compared to dvi.

Where is the best place to buy a webpad for use as an orbiter? I've a had a look online and not many places seem to sell them, are any models particularly recommended?

At present can pluto be set up to respond to an alarm set/unset event? I'd like pluto to set the house themostats to 18C and turn off all the lights when the house alarm is set.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
drbob

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions before I begin.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 01:08:59 pm »
Quote from: "drbob"
How well does pluto coexist with other services running on the server? I currently have IMAP, webmail and a samba fileshare running on my home server: will pluto affect these?

As for now, Pluto doesn't touch e-mail services, but it reconfigures samba, networking and dhcp.

Quote from: "drbob"
Can the media directors be set up to switch between video outputs? In my living room I have a sony crt tv and a dlp projector. I'd like to be able to switch between these at the push of a button on the orbiter (with the tv fed from TV out of the video card and the projector fed via DVI). The other option is to have tv out only and use my av receiver as a video switch but this gives poor quality on the projector compared to dvi.

For the moment there is no easy or consistent way of switching outputs. It depends heavily on the video card and it's drivers. I didn't get any reports yet on a easy and universal way of doing this, so there's no button to switch inputs yet.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 01:59:28 pm »
Where is the best place to buy a webpad for use as an orbiter? I've a had a look online and not many places seem to sell them, are any models particularly recommended?

you can run any device with WinXP or WinCE, we have some models from http://www.dtresearch.com/

At present can pluto be set up to respond to an alarm set/unset event? I'd like pluto to set the house themostats to 18C and turn off all the lights when the house alarm is set.

pluto can allow you to set alarms, trigger events, etc., you just need to configure pluto, and it's easy.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 04:40:33 pm »
Hi

Actually Pluto Orbiter does NOT work on ANY Win CE device.

AFAIK WinCE.NET 4.2 only is supported.

I think that is better to be accurate on this because there are many WinCE devices available nowadays, and one may get a bit confused after buying one of them and getting to know that it won't work with Pluto.

If in the mean time a compiled version for other WinCE has been released, I take it back ...

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 10:51:36 pm »
Well, I can confirm that using 0.32, the orbiter does not run properly under WM2005 (running on my XDAII).

I'll describe what happens in a new post so this thread doesn't got too far off track.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 09:40:01 am »