I don't think I get you wrong. I spent the time between our posts in this thread grepping (-i) for strings like "cmd", "format", "720", "bulk" in the Orbiter* code, and -r on the whole source tree again. The ScreenHandler code isn't in the Gen_Devices/ code you pointed me to. I didn't have a string like "COMMAND" to go on, as "CMD" is what's used in all the target code. It's a little exasperating when others seem to know enough about where to find these undocumented code artifacts, but don't mention the specific detail that lets us skip the "rite of passage" and just go right to where the faulty codepath lies buried.
It's not that somebody gave me some big map either. Maybe you want to create a simple device with DCEGen and sql2cpp. That gives big insights.
Probably I will. I've been thinking about creating a "presence" device, a Bluetooth device that floats around the Floorplan, which can be used for logic to know where someone/something is. That could send a presence server commands that could update other devices' state in the floorplan. Like if it were a Bluetooth phone that showed where I am, and turned MDs and lights on/off only in rooms where they reach me. Or even if I leave my home, and I get a call asking if I want to activate the alarm, and/or return home and get a call asking if I want to turn the alarm off, etc. I'm also working on adding Bluetooth speakers to the audio streaming system. Either of those could start with a simple device, and then add Bluetooth and then interactive/control features.
FWIW, is there an existing skeleton device that does nothing, but can be populated and run through DCEGen and sql2cpp? And a wiki? Or at least someone who knows how who I can brainpick to make those things for the community?
Indeed, that helps quite a lot. That doesn't only show a rip message being created without a format parameter,. It also illustrates how to trace this code with simple commandline lexical tools, which I've been dying to do for weeks. hey, i gave you some hints in other threads
I know that once you've got the info you learned by direct hand-to-hand combat, answering questions with just reassurances that it exists and can be found is easy. But part of my point in asking in these forums is to get it documented somewhere searchable. By me, if I wiki it, or by somone else later searching (who I'd hope would wiki it). The main reason to ask instead of digging is to reuse the knowledge that the long toil has already produced. Because then the answer lets us spend that time pushing LMCE forward, instead of reinventing (or rediscovering) the wheel.
And it just generally demonstrates the actual procedure for DCE messaging among objects in the actual code. Thanks for opening this process up. Now I'm closer to actually debugging the damn thing.no prob, feel free to ask,
OK, here's probably the last link in this ripping bug. Do you know where in the pluto DB is stored the format for ripping, as set in the Adminsite Installation Settings? I'm digging through the PHP right now, but it would be easier to decipher if I could see by the light at the end of the tunnel.
ps: i'm still waiting on that wiki page for compiling
By the time I got it compiled, I was so overdue with helping "add Events to Floorplan" and fixing the CD ripping format (still am) that I've spent every available 15 minutes trying to trace this code. I thought tracing the rip format bug would be faster, and introduce me to the code more comprehensively than would starting with events, and I was probably right. But I've had no time to update. And I'm still not sure I am compiling from the instructions I got correctly, because I haven't edited any code to recompile and run and test - because I didn't really understand the code well enough to mess with it. Once I've tested a fix to the rip format OK, I'll have tested all the procedures enough that I can post info on inter-device event code, on the ripping, on programmatic DB access from PHP and from C++, on debugging, on tracing, on compiling, on SVN, on downloading betas, on installing DVDs from images, the works.
But since I'm using my time as efficiently as possible, I won't have tested any of those things well enough to publish them on a wiki until I've actually compiled some ripping fixes. I'm still feeling burned from botching the 7970 instructions, which I want to revise after I get to that
, once I've got a 0710 to try my 7970 phone with again.
Which could be any day. Maybe tonight's the night