Author Topic: VDR in 0710b3 - No key is working (except some function keys)  (Read 16590 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: VDR in 0710b3 - No key is working (except some function keys)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 12:27:20 pm »
Yes, if you install vdradmin-am - you can use all the functionality through the web admin, remote tool. However, be aware that several have broken their LMCE by installing this. Anecdotally, using aptitude over apt-get install seems to kill things. But treat this with the suspicion it deserves! At this stage I have not been keen enough to reinstall - too many other problems at the moment :)

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 12:01:09 am »
Well I last night installed vdradmin-am again using apt=get instead of aptitude and it all seems to be working ok.

I have rebooted several times and not killed it yet.

Regards

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 10:27:45 pm »
Well I last night installed vdradmin-am again using apt=get instead of aptitude and it all seems to be working ok.

I have rebooted several times and not killed it yet.

Regards

Yes apt-get install vdradmin-am will install everything for you... however you will still need to do a lot of configuration inside vdradmin-am and in the files system. We are working on deb's that will automate the config.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 11:26:45 am »
It seems, aptitude is something to be avoided right now. Doing an aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade deinstalls a number of packages and downgrades msttcore-fonts.

rgds
Oliver

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 03:12:23 pm »
Yes, if you install vdradmin-am - you can use all the functionality through the web admin, remote tool. However, be aware that several have broken their LMCE by installing this. Anecdotally, using aptitude over apt-get install seems to kill things. But treat this with the suspicion it deserves! At this stage I have not been keen enough to reinstall - too many other problems at the moment :)

How did you break your LMCE installation after installing vdradmin? It heeded the latest VDR and LMCE VDR version was removed? Because I had similar case with Pluto. Once I decided to test VDR on the Pluto core (at least standalone). So, when I tried to install vdradmin using apt-get it referred to the VDR version with was newer then Pluto had. And it deisntalled it.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 03:27:55 pm »

How did you break your LMCE installation after installing vdradmin? It heeded the latest VDR and LMCE VDR version was removed? Because I had similar case with Pluto. Once I decided to test VDR on the Pluto core (at least standalone). So, when I tried to install vdradmin using apt-get it referred to the VDR version with was newer then Pluto had. And it deisntalled it.

Michael.
I´m one of those guys that ruined my 0710b3 install.
I installed vdradmin-am from source, but it depends on some perl libraries which I installed with apt-get.
After couple of reboots I lost my "Media Station".
As far as I could investigate the problem my conclusion was that launchamanager was unable to connect to mysql even though I could connect to it from shell with "mysql -u root pluto_main".
I guess that some of those perl libs that I installed screwed something up.

I enfed up by doinbg a reinstall and then isntalled vdradminä-am with apt-get. Have not had any issues yet.

/niz23

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 09:08:08 am »
We do have several 6 tuner systems on test and also in daily use. My home system has 3 tuners and we watch live/recorded TV with almost no limitations.

Andrew - is it currently possible to record and play back inside VDR in it's current state on B3?

Best Regards,
Richard.

Sorry only just spotted this.

Yes it is from the UI2 EPG screen (use F6 to get "Compass Rose" on screen control... highlight the upper yellow triangle and press "OK"). Then hightlight the channel in the leftmost column... now press right on the remote (or keyboard) once to get the highlight in the centre column (this now displaying the TV program running order for the channel previously selected)... now us up/down to select the TV show you are interested in... Program info will be displayed in rightmost column at the top... below that is a panel with some controls... highlight & then "OK" or click the 'Red' record button to set a recording for that show.

Please realise this and other elements of lmcevdr are still a 'work in progress'...
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 10:40:22 am »
And how are you installing this? Is it via apt-get or compiling the source?

Regards

I have just tested adding vdradmin-am using from the console;

sudo su - <return>

apt-get install vdradmin-am <return>

Now edit the following conf... making sure you change the default user/password and set the 'SERVERPORT = 8001' (set to a port you have opened in the LinuxMCE firewall... 8001 is just the default);

joe /var/lib/vdradmin-am/vdradmind.conf (**I use the Joe editor to do this) <return>

Save your changes to the above.

Now edit the vdradmin-am file... change the 'ENABLED="0"' to 'ENABLED="1"';

joe /etc/default/vdradmin-am <return>

Save your changes to the above.

Now make sure vdr is running;

/etc/init.d/vdr restart <return>

and then start vdradmin-am;

/etc/init.d/vdradmin-am start <return>

Now go to a Web browser on your Core and type http://localhost:8001 (**port No. you set in the conf) or from another machine on your LAN http://192.168.80.1:8001 (**or whatever IP your Core's LAN address is and the port you set in the conf)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 03:01:26 am »

Yes it is from the UI2 EPG screen (use F6 to get "Compass Rose" on screen control... highlight the upper yellow triangle and press "OK"). Then hightlight the channel in the leftmost column... now press right on the remote (or keyboard) once to get the highlight in the centre column (this now displaying the TV program running order for the channel previously selected)... now us up/down to select the TV show you are interested in... Program info will be displayed in rightmost column at the top... below that is a panel with some controls... highlight & then "OK" or click the 'Red' record button to set a recording for that show.

Please realise this and other elements of lmcevdr are still a 'work in progress'...

Many thanks, Andrew. I'll try it this evening.

Also going to try installing vdr-admin. Fingers crossed!
Best Regards,
Richard

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 12:15:04 pm »
Andrew

The OK button doesn't actually seem to do anything, nor my Fiire remote's red record button - just cancels the menu. However when I go to the far right panel and choose Once it puts a red circle next to the entry. Press it again and the circle goes away. I'm assuming that this sets a recording...

However, Channel/Show put a green tick next to the entry and/or the entire channel on the left. Is this a reminder or another kind of recording? Either way, nothing I do seems to get rid of it....

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 02:52:14 am »

Hi Andrew,

This didn't work for me. Nothing seems to happen when I try this. I may be following the wrong procedure - I'm currently finding I can't access the forum from home - so I'll print this out and try again this evening.
When you talk about the red record button - you do mean onscreen, right? The only screen I've seen which this could apply to is one where there are several menu options from 1 to 6, then down the bottom are coloured bars - Red for Record, Amber for Audio and so on. They are not clickable, and using the arrow keys on the Fiire merely select the menu options. I've tried using the key on the Fiire which has a Red dot below, but it retains it's original function and brings up the pictures screen (while the live TV continues).

Could my problem stem from the fact that I don't have EPG fully working? When installing, I chose only the Live EPG data - I havn't set up to get the EPG from an internet source.

Best Regards,
Richard.
Best Regards,
Richard

posterberg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 09:57:12 am »
And how are you installing this? Is it via apt-get or compiling the source?

Regards

We are using a custom built deb

Do you have a link to that custom deb?

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 01:05:03 am »
Hi Andrew,

This didn't work for me. Nothing seems to happen when I try this. I may be following the wrong procedure - I'm currently finding I can't access the forum from home - so I'll print this out and try again this evening.

I take this back. When I sat in front of the screen with the printout of this thread, I saw what you meant, and it worked just as you said. Works well too.

Something else I've got to take back is what I said about EPG. I've no recollection of setting it up, but it is getting EPG from somewhere. I have EPG for some channels for a week. I thought the off-air EPG was only a Now/Next service. Does anyone know how much the Ausie stations put into EPG?

Many thanks for that, Andrew!

Best Regards,
Richard

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 04:57:54 am »
Richard

Now/Next is a display format more than anything else. The EPG transmitted(able) over DVB isn't limited to this. HOWEVER - extremely annoyingly, in Australia for the last few years all channels ONLY transmitted N/N data, updating as a timeslot came to an end. An absolutely futile and pathetic attempt to stop people too easily recording the transmissions with the rapidly emerging PVRs, demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of how the market was going to develop! I'm sure most other countries wouldn't have had this problem!

However, for a while now most channels have been transmitting around a week or so of data. I say most - at least one commerical station only transmits N/N (can't remember which) and ABC/SBS can be a little patchy at times. And channel Ten rarely seems to transmit any description info.

Either way, once I have my system stable (and on 0710 release version) I hope to look into Oztivo again - they provide an XML service for all FTA/PayTV stations in AU. Apparently you can integrate these into LMCE. Especially important as I hope to get SelecTV at some point, being the only PayTV service I can find who are happy for you to use your own DVB-S card with decrypter so that I can plug this straight into the LMCE system.... so will need a consistent EPG across these...

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 07:44:36 am »
Richard

Now/Next is a display format more than anything else. The EPG transmitted(able) over DVB isn't limited to this. HOWEVER - extremely annoyingly, in Australia for the last few years all channels ONLY transmitted N/N data, updating as a timeslot came to an end. An absolutely futile and pathetic attempt to stop people too easily recording the transmissions with the rapidly emerging PVRs, demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of how the market was going to develop! I'm sure most other countries wouldn't have had this problem!

However, for a while now most channels have been transmitting around a week or so of data. I say most - at least one commerical station only transmits N/N (can't remember which) and ABC/SBS can be a little patchy at times. And channel Ten rarely seems to transmit any description info.

Either way, once I have my system stable (and on 0710 release version) I hope to look into Oztivo again - they provide an XML service for all FTA/PayTV stations in AU. Apparently you can integrate these into LMCE. Especially important as I hope to get SelecTV at some point, being the only PayTV service I can find who are happy for you to use your own DVB-S card with decrypter so that I can plug this straight into the LMCE system.... so will need a consistent EPG across these...

Thanks, Colin! That confirms what I saw, then - I'm not losing my mind just yet. I was thinking the extra data was coming off the web in some unexplained fashion.

As far as updating from the web goes, it works very well. I had it working with B2 with Myth before I nuked it and loaded B3.

Best Regards,
Richard.
Best Regards,
Richard