Author Topic: Insteon support?  (Read 3291 times)

newbie455

• View Profile
Insteon support?
« on: January 25, 2008, 12:23:30 am »
I've heard that LinuxMCE now supports insteon. Is this support in the current beta release? If so, is functionality and setup the same as if you were using zwave? Thanks.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Insteon support?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 12:49:05 am »
Not to sound like a broken record but...

SEARCH!!!

took less than 5 seconds to find this using the search box. 

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3706.0

have a nice day and please use the search function.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

newbie455

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:49:59 pm »
I saw that thread, but it still isn't clear to me if setup is as easy as with zwave, if this driver is included with linuxmce by default and how well the driver works. I am not very familiar with these home automation technologies, so all I know is what I have seen done with zwave in the demo video. Is all of this possible with insteon on linuxmce (ie controlling lights and themostat)?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 11:04:16 pm »
I saw that thread, but it still isn't clear to me if setup is as easy as with zwave, if this driver is included with linuxmce by default and how well the driver works. I am not very familiar with these home automation technologies, so all I know is what I have seen done with zwave in the demo video. Is all of this possible with insteon on linuxmce (ie controlling lights and themostat)?
the insteon support is far more advanced than the current zwave implementation. Look at the wiki, there is a page that describes the installation. If you have questions feel free to ask, ddamron (aka Mr Lightz) is the coder of one of the implementations (yes, there are two).

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

newbie455

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 06:51:36 am »
I was thinking about buying some insteon devices (simply because it looks much more appealing than zwave) and I just wanted to make sure it was supported before I went buying hardware. I guess I can always return the hardware if performance isn't up to my expectations. Ideally, I would like to be able to control a few thermostats and light switches remotely. Thanks for the help.