Author Topic: Myth TV still locking up after 710 upgrade  (Read 8478 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
Myth TV still locking up after 710 upgrade
« on: January 24, 2008, 09:40:02 pm »
Ok, so back in 704 I was told that my issue had something to do with how Myth interfaces with LMCE and that once 710 comes out everything should be cleared up. I updated last night and everything looked fine as far as my media is concerned. Went to try to watch tv... and once again myth locked up after a few seconds of tv. I ran through the setup wizard again to make sure there wasn't any changes made.

Is there something I am missing, perhaps I set up my Hauppauge 150 wrong?
this has been really frustrating. any ideas?
Core: Broken :(

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Myth TV still locking up after 710 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 10:41:22 pm »
fearingsept.
Ok, so back in 704 I was told that my issue had something to do with how Myth interfaces with LMCE and that once 710 comes out everything should be cleared up. I updated last night and everything looked fine as far as my media is concerned. Went to try to watch tv... and once again myth locked up after a few seconds of tv. I ran through the setup wizard again to make sure there wasn't any changes made.

Is there something I am missing, perhaps I set up my Hauppauge 150 wrong?
this has been really frustrating. any ideas?

Have pretty much the same issue as you do.
The only difference is that I´m using DVB-T (nova-t 500) instead.

0704 was pretty much useless from a myth perspective.
Both front and backend crashed often.

In 0710 beta 3 the backend seem to be pretty stable now.
But the frontend is unusable. I have been told that the problem is most likely in myth-plugin.
I tend to agree with that since my mythbuntu machine never crash.

I have started a discussion with DanielK about how to diagnoze this behavior.
I´m as eager as you to solve this. Since without livetv functionality lmce, no matter how good the other parts may be will not be family compatible and thus not allowed for day-to-day use. At least in my family.

I encourage all people that have problem with myth to add up to this thread just to see how many of you do have problems.

One workaround that I have verified (got from another lmce iser) to work good (need a couple of more days to really say) is to use another machine with only myth-frontend. no lmce installed.

/niz23

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:55:50 pm »
One workaround that I have verified (got from another lmce iser) to work good (need a couple of more days to really say) is to use another machine with only myth-frontend. no lmce installed.

That seems like it could be a good idea since this is my hybrid core anyway and I will be using the Myth side of LMCE more so in my living areas.

Just to confirm, when you boot to the kde desktop and open myth front-end from there does Myth TV work for you? Most of the time it does for me. I just want to see if we are both having all of the same symptoms.

-Dustin

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:00:54 am »

That seems like it could be a good idea since this is my hybrid core anyway and I will be using the Myth side of LMCE more so in my living areas.

Just to confirm, when you boot to the kde desktop and open myth front-end from there does Myth TV work for you? Most of the time it does for me. I just want to see if we are both having all of the same symptoms.

-Dustin

It works better. The first time I start myth from kde I´m asked about permissions. After that it is working a lot better than under lmce.

/niz23

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:59:59 pm »
Here is an interesting question.

Does anyone experience the Myth TV lock-up problem using the 64 bit version of LMCE?
I am curious to know Please reply if you are also having this problem using the 64 bit version.

niz23

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 03:41:49 pm »
Here is an interesting question.

Does anyone experience the Myth TV lock-up problem using the 64 bit version of LMCE?
I am curious to know Please reply if you are also having this problem using the 64 bit version.

I´m using the amd64 version.
Have tried both versions. Same problem.

At the moment I´m so tired with mythtv, mainly becuase I know it is working really well (have a mythbuntu install too what´s working very well) but not in lmce 07XX.

Have tried vdr and even though it lack a lot of integration it´s video is smooth and work well except for a problem I have with my nova 500 card (usb disconnect). Probably solved by a new firmware for the card, I hope.

/niz23

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 08:01:04 pm »
Has anything come of this issue yet?  I'm also anxious to use my lmce box for live tv.  I have the identical issue.  Mythtv works fine from kde desktop, but inside lmce it freezes within seconds.

I've tried tweaking video setting as advised by another user... i've also agree using a diskless MD or another *nix box with myth frontend only works well.  Myth only freezes when running under lmce on the same box as the backend.

I still tend to suspect a hardware problem because it didn't do this with my old piece of crap computer.  I went from an AMD Sempron socket 754/AGP Nvidia to a AMD X2 socket am2/PCI-E Nvidia... i'm suspecting a compatibility problem of some sort maybe?  I am rebuilding a higher end AGP based system with an X2 socket 939 in it to see if it does the same thing.  I'm leaning towards the video cards interface... agp vs pci-e.  I should have some results tonite.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

labrat68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 09:40:35 pm »
I am running an Intel dual core and the lockups were very frequent. I am also running a hybrid core. I have determined that the frequency of the lockups goes way down if I turn one of the cores off in the bios. But it still locks up eventually.

Kind of looks like a race condition where there need to be a lock.

Dave

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 05:00:16 am »
I found why mine freezes so much, just don't know how to fix it now.  Might want to see if yours is the same issue, I talked about it in this thread: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4029.0

basically if I run mythfrontend from kde it works fine...

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 05:52:46 pm »
Does anyone know if the Myth fixes in the beta 4 release fixes this issue?

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 12:44:05 am »
Have no idea, but i'd like to know how many people having this problem, behaves like mine.

Run "mythfrontend -w mythfrontend -geometry <your>x<resolution>" from a kde terminal without the "-v all" option, and see if it freezes.  It shouldn't... then run it with the "-v all" option "mythfrontend -v all -w mythfronend - geometry <your>x<resolution>", and see if it freezes, it should.

Thats how it behaves on my system.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 05:16:40 pm »
Updated from Beta 3 to beta 4 this morning. Seemed like it was working good. Suddenly my hybrid/core detected some hardware on my network. Locked up myth. Closed out, started again, lock up within 20 seconds. I really wish there was a fix for this that would allow it to work as intended within LMCE. Looking forward to more updates.

If any of the developers are interested in using and fixing a system that has myth locking up I will gladly send mine to help find a solution. (Of course you would have to send it back when you’re done)

andymck

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 05:30:22 pm »
orionsune, Myth behaves well when omitting the -v all option

Looks like you are definetly onto something.

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 05:49:41 pm »
I am not a Myth guru, but I would suggest to attach to it via gdb when it is stuck and do a "thread apply all bt full" to get the dump of all active threads and post it here.

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 07:55:18 pm »
Thanks kir, I might try that for extra debugging.  But i've found where mythfrontend is being called from in the source code, removed the "-v all" option that I believe is locking me up and am recompiling as we speak.  The thread where this was determined is here: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4029.0

I am still very interested in how many people are having freezing mythtv issues, and could try my "workaround" by running mythfrontend in KDE without the "-v all" option that lmce uses to called myth.  If this is why the majority of people are freezing up,then the developers shoud know.  I'm also playing with the idea of sending them my 2nd computer that also freezes, for testing so they can make the appropiate change in future releases.