Author Topic: RAID driving me crazy  (Read 3934 times)

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
RAID driving me crazy
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:21:10 pm »

1st test setup RAID 5 worked fine.

2nd test setup RAID 0 worked fine.

Decided to do a new full fresh install due to lots of issues and now, going through the webadmin and setting up RAID 0, it doesn't see the drives so I can't add them.

The system does see all 4 hard drives as it keep popping up and asking me if I want to use them, one at a time, but they are NOT seen in the webadmin like they were in the previous 2 installs referenced above.

Yes, it's the same 4 hard drives, freshly formatted.

Quirky or what.

So why does the main system see the 4 drives and want to use them, but the webadmin configuration RAID NOT see the drives anymore ?

Another question whilst I'm here.  From the mythtv installation suggestions, it advises to use XFS or JFS as the filesystem as they are better for fast deletes (think TV recordings).  I don't see any filesystem setting in the webadmin-configuration-RAID unless it picks up the current filesystem settings when it formats the RAID.   Or just does it do a default ext3 ?

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: RAID driving me crazy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:13:54 am »
Are your drives empty?

You might have to remove all partitions on the drives before using them in a RAID.
Mine (Empty) show up fine in the RAID setup.

Running 0710Beta 3 64bit

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 02:48:04 pm »
Yes they are 'empty'  just as in the previous Two installs

blackoper

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:18:54 pm »
are these drives still raided?

If not it sounds like you haven't gotten rid of the raid superblock and that is what is causing your issue. Formatting a raid drive isn't enough, you have to use a command to remove the raid superblock that Mdadm adds when you create an array.

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 09:46:54 pm »
I didn't just format them as is.  I used a linuxlivecd to look at the individual drives, removed the partition/filesystem, added a new partition/filesystem (one per drive) then formatted them so they are now 4 individual etx3 drives. Just like the last Two times.  When I loootok at them thet say ext3 not linux raid as they did when in the array.

Also note: I previously said  "The system does see all 4 hard drives as it keep popping up and asking me if I want to use them, one at a time,"

The Linuxmce internal drive has been re-installed from scratch. so there are no settings left.

I do remember the first time I setup the RAID (RAID 5), I had to reboot after adding the RAID container as no drives appeared, but I have already tried that.

Anything else I can try ?

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 09:56:47 pm »
That does not sound empty...

Remove all partitions and do not make new ones...