Author Topic: New build advice needed  (Read 2457 times)

edie209

• View Profile
New build advice needed
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:55:39 pm »
Hi all

I have been looking at building a media center for a while now and have finally bought my components.
Antec Fusion V2
P4 2.8 Intel Chip
Gigabyte MB
2GB DDR Ram
750 GB western Digital drive SATA
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6200 GPU, 256MB DDR2
Huappague Nova T 500
Black and Gold DVB -T
CMI8768 PCI 8 Channel
Vista MCE Remote

Are this components going to be suitable for Linux MCE?

I have some experience with linux but I'm no guru.

I have a home network (cat5e) and my children have their own pcs and I would want them to be able to access recorded tv music and dvds too.  Their pcs are all P4 2.8 1 gig machines with 128 mb graphic cards.  These machines are windows based and would have to stay this way I have heard I can boot into Linux MCE without installing any software, how do I go about this?

what would I need to allow this could I also introduce censorship?

Sorry for all the questions but i want to get it right. ;D

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New build advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 05:38:20 pm »
Hi all

I have been looking at building a media center for a while now and have finally bought my components.
Antec Fusion V2
P4 2.8 Intel Chip
Gigabyte MB
2GB DDR Ram
750 GB western Digital drive SATA
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6200 GPU, 256MB DDR2
Huappague Nova T 500
Black and Gold DVB -T
CMI8768 PCI 8 Channel
Vista MCE Remote

Are this components going to be suitable for Linux MCE?

I have some experience with linux but I'm no guru.

I have a home network (cat5e) and my children have their own pcs and I would want them to be able to access recorded tv music and dvds too.  Their pcs are all P4 2.8 1 gig machines with 128 mb graphic cards.  These machines are windows based and would have to stay this way I have heard I can boot into Linux MCE without installing any software, how do I go about this?

what would I need to allow this could I also introduce censorship?

Sorry for all the questions but i want to get it right. ;D

The hardware at first glance looks like it should work fine..  the biggest hurdle with hardware is usually the video card...  the nvidia 6200 will be painless..  it is a highly recommended card....  as far as the children's pc's...  as long as they will boot off lan, you will just let the core set them us as diskless media directors (even though they aren't diskless)...  you can then switch between booting them off the network or off the internal hdd when the unfortunate opportunity arises where you have to boot winblows...  check the wiki on instructions on diskless media directors...

For censorship, you can setup users with access to the different shares that are setup.

edie209

• View Profile
Re: New build advice needed
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:40:23 am »
Hi thanks for the reply,

concerning censorship I was thinking more on the lines of how to stop them watching an 18 certificate film