Author Topic: CanT login from windows?  (Read 5458 times)

jyoung58

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
CanT login from windows?
« on: January 24, 2008, 01:30:36 am »
i followed the instructions in the wiki to login from windows..run \\192.168.80.1 and enter the same user name and password i use for the admin site and it doesnt work with that password. i also tried linuxmce and root. any thoughts?

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CanT login from windows?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:47:43 am »
What version of LMCE are you using? If this is a brand new installation use your name that you entered during the wizard setup for use login username and password.

jyoung58

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 03:01:10 am »
0710 b3 I already tried the name i used to setup with , It lets me into the admin age but not when i use \\192.168.80.1 from any windows pc or the lmce hybrid its self.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:15:13 am »
0710 b3 I already tried the name i used to setup with , It lets me into the admin age but not when i use \\192.168.80.1 from any windows pc or the lmce hybrid its self.

just use the address..  no \\

jyoung58

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 03:25:55 am »
Doest work with the run command and when it is used in the address bar it takes me to the admin page? should i just reload or is anyone else having this problem with 0710b3. All i want to do is go in and manage some media.. Move some stuff from public to private and so on...

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 05:14:31 am »
Do you have any folders from 192.168.80.1 showing up under your network neighborhood?

jyoung58

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:17:34 am »
Just reloaded 0710B3 and it said during the install to use the same user name i set up the system with. I can access the admin page but i still cant access the shares \\192.168.80.1 Can someone please help. During the initial install i setup 3 other users. is anyone having problems with 0710b3 or is it just me?

jyoung58

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 05:22:36 am »
No nothing shows up. I can see the dce router but cant get into it. Does it matter that i used a full name such as Joseph Young with a capital J and Y for my setup user? Is there any restrictions with the user names/ password.. also there is a space between first and last name. Thanks in advance

jo006

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 12:17:29 pm »
Hi Joseph,

I have done some testing with users and it seems that if you use a name with a space like “Joseph Young” the user name will actually be stored as “JosephYoung” and the password will be stored with a space in it.

Try username “JosephYoung” with no space and password “Joseph Young” with a space and see how you go.

Justin

jyoung58

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 01:53:16 pm »
Justin,
       You are the man. It worked! Thank you so much for helping out. If you dont mind me asking where did you look to figure that out? Also any thought why it works right on the admin site but not with shares? Thanks again for everyones help.

fibres

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LinuxMCE 08.10 RC Mirror.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 09:56:01 pm »
Just a guess but im guessing as it uses smb shares to allow windows to connect. which is actually based on a very old Lanmanager netwokring system designed in 1980 odd I dont think that it supports spaces in usernames. Therefore I guess that it is rmoving the space.

Regards

jo006

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 10:00:20 pm »
Hi Joseph,

I'm glad this works for you now.

My first system user was a single word ie "Justin" so I created a second user ie "James O".  When I connected to DCERouter from windows and logged in using the user "Justin" I seen a share listed as "JamesO" not "James O".  So it seems that passwords can have spaces in them but not users.

Justin

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 01:47:14 am »
Just to explain one point above....

using \\ip.ip.ip.ip is a UNC share, you are telling Windows to open that device using SMB/CIFS and scan it for public drive shares. This will not connect with a web site which is a totally different protocol and port (HTTP:80 instead of CIFS/SMB:445)

Depending on the version of Windows, IE and the settings you have enabled, it may "guess" that it is really a web site, but it is not normal to do so - you have explicitly told it to open a drive share, you may even get an Explorer window with the public/user_1/user_2 shares if you put the right password in!

If you had dropped the \\ it would probably have found it. But to be certain, and not rely on Windows "guessing" things, put the whole path in "http://ip.ip.ip.ip" note they are forward slashes, very different, and you are explicitly defining the protocol to use and therefore the default port.

Authentication for the web site is not based on SMB, Lanman or NTLM, it is straightforward HTTP forms authentication.