Author Topic: DVD Ripping and Transcoding  (Read 3481 times)

xephyrus

• View Profile
DVD Ripping and Transcoding
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:52:10 am »
Hi,

I notice that LinuxMCE has a DVD ripping function.  But it looks like it doesn't have any automatic transcoding hooked in.  Understandable given how tricky it can be to get good transcoding set up.  But, how hard would it be to hook things up so that the main feature of a DVD could be transcoded automatically upon completion of a rip?

I very rarely care about any of the "special features" on a DVD.  I'm just after the content, and most DVD's can be compressed down quite a bit without losing visible quality.

Thanks,
.  Topher

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Ripping and Transcoding
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 02:55:46 pm »
Hi,

I notice that LinuxMCE has a DVD ripping function.  But it looks like it doesn't have any automatic transcoding hooked in.  Understandable given how tricky it can be to get good transcoding set up.  But, how hard would it be to hook things up so that the main feature of a DVD could be transcoded automatically upon completion of a rip?

I very rarely care about any of the "special features" on a DVD.  I'm just after the content, and most DVD's can be compressed down quite a bit without losing visible quality.

Thanks,
.  Topher

What I can say is that the script that does ripping is here:
http://svn.linuxmce.com/pluto/trunk/src/Disk_Drive/ripDiskWrapper.sh

and the code that does DVD ripping runs here:

Code: [Select]
if [[ "$diskType" == 2 ]]; then
         if eval "$command"; then
                 echo "Ripping successful"
                 touch "$targetFileName.dvd.lock"
                 mv -f "$targetFileName.dvd"{.in-progress,}
                 exit 0;
         else

(the $command is constructed above, the magic "2" is actually DISCTYPE_DVD_VIDEO constant, see beginning of the same file for both)

So probably before doing "exit 0" you can insert required transcoding commands, if you know how to do the transcoding itself.