Author Topic: Minimum Processor?  (Read 18555 times)

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Minimum Processor?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 08:32:30 pm »
I was unable to find a 6200 PCI-X card so I now have a NVIDIA 8400 GS.

I swapped them and now have driver problems.  I'm about to follow this:
http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Display_Drivers
To change the drivers for the 8400 GS  but another poster said this driver would be in 710,  I'm running 710B3.
Is this still the right path to go down?

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »
ok, now that this bug is in my head.... i set about looking for this information and lo and behold it isnt easy to glean by any means that I could tell.

This is what I was referring to in my post. When I first came here, I did read everything I could find in the wiki and performed several searches in the forum, but there were still a few categories where the info did not seem complete or was contradictory in nature, so I posted a thread about it. And I have to say I did get a similar response along the lines of "don’t bother us and figure it out yourself, and if you cant figure it out yourself then it’s not our fault that other users haven’t properly documented their experiences". The questions I had, and even with the time I have been here still have, mostly regarded the playback of live TV and zwave integration. Both of those in the sample video as well as in the wiki were shown in such a way to seem seamlessly supported, yet in actuality seem to have quite a few issues and are not as supported as they are advertised.

I feel that many of these questions can be easily taken care of with a simple well maintained sticky of the most frequently asked questions right at the top of the user forum.

I agree that information could be better organized, but its there. Right now the forum admins are working on creating stickies or general FAQs to make it easier to find stuff.

There is a LOT i've had to figure out myself. But then i didn't but linuxMCE, its free and its open source. Which generally means (from my experience) that YOU have to take the initiative to find what you need.

Is it ideal at the moment? No, but until the project matures a little more, its quite DIY. I dont even have HD but I was able to find what jgaffney was looking for rather quickly. I think that sometimes, it feels as if people assume other members are here for tech support at their whim when a little effort would both serve to help them understand how the information is listed (which is all over the place granted) and how to find what they are looking for.

BTW, what issues are you having with live tv? I dont use zwave so im sorry to say i cant help with that.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Loki008

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 11:09:51 pm »
BTW, what issues are you having with live tv? I dont use zwave so im sorry to say i cant help with that.

i dont have it up and running yet, but i am just about to start purchasing zwave equipment as well as a few tuners to start doing live tv. what i have seen on the forums is that live tv quality can be quite hit or miss with many people having performance or lock up issues with using live tv.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 01:59:24 am »

i dont have it up and running yet, but i am just about to start purchasing zwave equipment as well as a few tuners to start doing live tv. what i have seen on the forums is that live tv quality can be quite hit or miss with many people having performance or lock up issues with using live tv.

I haven't time to upgrade to any of the new betas so I cant speak to if any issues were fixed though I did notice a thread about myth still locking up. Is there a reason in particular that you are choosing zwave? DDamron has done some awesome work with insteon and I think that might be something you look into before you buy the zwave. Not trying to sway you, just pointing out the different options.

As far as the live tv in 0704 - i can watch tv directly by bypassing lmce. myth locks up while watching unless I rewind a few seconds (found that in another thread). I would wait on the tuners until its more stable but then maybe the issues have been fixed since I last read about.

I'll try and find those links and direct you to them.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Loki008

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 03:06:14 am »

I haven't time to upgrade to any of the new betas so I cant speak to if any issues were fixed though I did notice a thread about myth still locking up. Is there a reason in particular that you are choosing zwave? DDamron has done some awesome work with insteon and I think that might be something you look into before you buy the zwave. Not trying to sway you, just pointing out the different options.

As far as the live tv in 0704 - i can watch tv directly by bypassing lmce. myth locks up while watching unless I rewind a few seconds (found that in another thread). I would wait on the tuners until its more stable but then maybe the issues have been fixed since I last read about.

I'll try and find those links and direct you to them.

i am going zwave because i can get the switches cheap.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2008, 05:34:45 pm »
jgaffney is your 1.2 ghz a core, a MD or a hybrid. I think it should do hd fine if its a MD, but for a core or hybrid every thing read leads towards ups 2's or a 3 ghz. You didn't mention how much ram, but it seems that for HD you need 1 gig in a core and 512 mb in a MD. A hybrid would probably benefit from more but mds and core don't seem to show an improvement from any more ram then listed even for HD. Not that they need an improvement they seem fine with the above. I'll be testing this out in a couple weeks with the same tuner that u have, trying a 3.0ghz for a core only and 1.1 ghz for a md, both intel and using the ram listed above.

Shaun

I want to disagree..  however, without being able to back it up....  I don't think 1.2 ghz in a MD will handle HD...  problem is, I haven't had anything to test with...  I just got a 720p version of Matrix that I will try on my 1.6 ghz MD with 784 RAM and get back with my results....

Ok..  I successfully played a 720p version of The Matrix on my MD with 1.6ghz sempron and 784mb ram..  no stuttering, no dropping..  everything seemed fine....  what I need is some 1080i or 1080p test clips to try out...  I'll download some trailers and see what happens...

Where are getting the video clips from?  I've gotten some from here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx
But can't seem to get them to play.

Well, my 720p Matrix I won't comment on or my 720p version of 300...  I can say though the real test would be a dedicated HD source like a ripped bluray or hd-dvd.... since I don't have a bluray or hd-dvd player I feel I can't really test it adequately...  you can download HD trailers from apple.trailers.com...  although they are in .mov QT format and I can't remember if lmce will play .mov files or not...  I'm going to download a few and see if I can convert to .avi or .mp4

No surprise, 1080p will not play with my 1.6ghz cpu..  720p plays fine...  1080p will play for 2-5 seconds before stuttering and then locking up.