Author Topic: trying to decide if linuxMCE is right for me....  (Read 4044 times)

mistafeesh

• View Profile
trying to decide if linuxMCE is right for me....
« on: January 23, 2008, 06:00:32 pm »
Hi,

I'm in the process of downloading the install DVD, and I'm fairly sure I want to use linuxMCE (the alternative is windows XP and a lot of faffing!)

Here's what I want to do....

I have a 250gig HDD already formatted with EXT3 (or 2 - I can't remember) and full of videos and music. I want to be able to plug this in on its SATA card and use it either as my home directory or just make it available somehow to the media centre and to my (wired) network. Randomly, this is currently sitting in an XP box running etx2fs to be able to access the files, as the original computer I was going to build this with got lightninged....

I have a basic homemade IR reciever - can I use this with linuxMCE?

The other thing I want to do is to be able to switch, by remote control, between two or three video inputs (VCR, PS2, maybe a sat box) seamlessly (most of my family aren't as technically minded as me, and they even get confused by the scart switch box I currently use to switch between these!!) I'm not sure quite how to do this - maybe a few cheapie PCI TV cards (I already have one, and they're quite cheap) or video capture cards with one input going into each... I'm open to suggestions.

I also think I read somewhere about being able to link up iTunes and linuxMCE. I use iTunes a lot on my mac, and it'd be great if I could share the music library and playlists.

So...is all this possible/easy? I've used linux a bit, and I'm OK with not-too-advanced command line stuff. As long as there are instructions somewhere I'm generally OK!

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: trying to decide if linuxMCE is right for me....
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:40:30 pm »
The hard drive shouldn't be a problem,  just create a mount point for /home/public/data/YOURDRIVE to point to your existing drive.  Then everything will show up in the default location.  You'll need to do this via fstab and will need a bit of linux skills, but it' pretty easy.  Ask for detailed help when you get to that point.

Not sure about the itunes or remote stuff.  I've purchased the FIIRE remote, which you'll see is highly recommended out here if you search.  This remote also has a learning function so you can make it do whatever you want quite easily.  I currently use my FIIRE remote to control my A/V reciever, DVD , LMCE, and TV,  changing all inputs from 1 remote on any device.

Careful with the TV capture cards.  I originally bought one of the supported ones without doing enough research.  None of the supported cards will support ATSC (digital/High Def signal).  HDHomeRun is the solution for that,  unless you want analog TV there is no need for a TV card.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:06:54 pm »
do NOT manually set mount points, let LinuxMCE find the disk, and mount it, itself.

-Thom

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:17:04 pm »
Sorry for the bad info,  didn't expect LMCE to know the difference between a mount pnt.

mistafeesh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 02:31:44 pm »
Hi not sure what you meant about the TV cards. I need to be able to recieve an analogue signal from my VHS video player, and also from the kids PS2. I also have a sattelite box which may or may not work, but if it does, I'll need an analogue video input for that too. any ideas?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 03:04:10 pm »
for analogue TV tuners, I only recommend the Hauppauge PVR-150/250/500 and PVRUSB2. These cards work plug and play with Pluto and LinuxMCE out of the box.

-Thom

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 04:15:44 pm »
I've used the 150, works great.  If you're looking to get High Def, then you'll need something like the HDHomeRun.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 04:21:03 pm »
I second the HDHomerun...

mistafeesh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 05:12:51 pm »
not fussed about HD - our TV is pretty ancient anyway. Just want to be able to watch our old videos and play on the PS2.