Author Topic: MD diskless setup fails in 0710, plus screensaver hangs  (Read 6777 times)

MikeyMike

• View Profile
MD diskless setup fails in 0710, plus screensaver hangs
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:08:00 am »
Hi any help appreciated...

I am trying to setup a system already since the "pluto days"
I have been waiting for more stable versions and lighting interface that work in Europe etc.
I really feel this is a promissing project and bought myself 2 pc's with the M2NPV-VM motherboard and 1GB memory to be able to test LinuxMCE.

I don't have any other stuff yet, because I want a running system first. Untill now I never got a stable running system and need some help with the diskless MD.

I have installed 0710. First from DVD, but that did not work, crashed 3x at unpacking the data.
From CD it worked fine and now I have a hybrid setup & running.
The hybrid machine has a single core AMD Athlon 64 3800+. It runs OK exept the screensaver hangs after the system has not been touched for like 20 hours.

I have a MD (same motherboard and firmware) with a dual core AMD athlon 64 4200+.
Two pc's are connected by a crosscable. With the previous version it worked OK at least the first time I booted the MD, second time was a problem always.

When I startup the MD now with 0710 it announxes itself at the router and the core installes the files for the MD. It is also present in the admin pages.
Then it continues and shows "Running diskless setup.sh"
After 10 seconds it says "diskless setup failed", in red.
When I restart the router (reboot or quickreload) and try again, the MD after some time comes up with the same message.

Anyone a clue?
Can it be the single core dual core mix?
Can it be the crosscable?

ps. I enabled Nvidia LAN boot ROM and chose "Nvidia Boot Age" to boot from in the Bios. That should be the right setting for this motherboard ? I thought I remebered another option called Legacy LAN but I don't see that anymore.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: MD diskless setup fails in 0710, plus screensaver hangs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 05:07:55 pm »
On your Core are you running 64 bit kubuntu or I 386

I read somewhere the cd install version does not have both the 64bit and 32 bit diskless images.

If you are running i386 on the core maybe the MD is requesting a 64 bit image that is not available.

If this is the case go to the web admin and change the os vesrion to I386 and try to boot again. (There is another post better describing how to change this setting)

HTH
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

MikeyMike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:06:30 pm »

I did use the amd64.iso cd's, because both are AMD Athlon 64 cpu's.
Maybe someone has got the same setup that is working????

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11:48 pm »
Hi any help appreciated...

I am trying to setup a system already since the "pluto days"
I have been waiting for more stable versions and lighting interface that work in Europe etc.
I really feel this is a promissing project and bought myself 2 pc's with the M2NPV-VM motherboard and 1GB memory to be able to test LinuxMCE.

I don't have any other stuff yet, because I want a running system first. Untill now I never got a stable running system and need some help with the diskless MD.

I have installed 0710. First from DVD, but that did not work, crashed 3x at unpacking the data.
From CD it worked fine and now I have a hybrid setup & running.
The hybrid machine has a single core AMD Athlon 64 3800+. It runs OK exept the screensaver hangs after the system has not been touched for like 20 hours.

I have a MD (same motherboard and firmware) with a dual core AMD athlon 64 4200+.
Two pc's are connected by a crosscable. With the previous version it worked OK at least the first time I booted the MD, second time was a problem always.

When I startup the MD now with 0710 it announxes itself at the router and the core installes the files for the MD. It is also present in the admin pages.
Then it continues and shows "Running diskless setup.sh"
After 10 seconds it says "diskless setup failed", in red.
When I restart the router (reboot or quickreload) and try again, the MD after some time comes up with the same message.

Anyone a clue?
Can it be the single core dual core mix?
Can it be the crosscable?

ps. I enabled Nvidia LAN boot ROM and chose "Nvidia Boot Age" to boot from in the Bios. That should be the right setting for this motherboard ? I thought I remebered another option called Legacy LAN but I don't see that anymore.

You say with the previous version the MD booted ok the first time then had problems after that...  bad crossover cable or bad nic maybe....  try another x-over cable or get a cheap switch and some decent patch cables...

Ender

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 09:52:37 am »
You should use DVD installation in order to have mixed MD's (MD's with different architecture than the core). The CD installation only has the image for the same architecture. See more here : http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3856.0 .

MikeyMike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 02:00:13 pm »
Can someone tell me if the DVD installation is really needed?
In my case there is no difference in architecture (meaning no 32bit and 64 bit cpu's) i just have 2 64bit cpu's only a dualcore and a single core type.

Is it neccasary to use DVD installation?

ps. I also tried my laptop (also dualcore) as MD but it comes up with the same error at the same point.
I will try my other pc (single core) this weekend and or try a switch.
Don't think those are the problems though.
Where can i find the right logfile for this error?

MikeyMike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 12:35:36 pm »
Tried
- other cable
- single core cpu
- switch
- Other nic (swapped interfaces)

Nothing works! They do start from LAN and announce themselves to the router, but after that it fails. even after restarting the router etc.

All configs give the same error " Diskless Setup failed"
Where can I find the cause of this failure?

tkmedia

• View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 07:47:41 pm »
Have yoy tried deleting the from webadmin and retry

MikeyMike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 03:51:02 pm »
If I understand corectly???? Yes I did delete the MD in the admin pages and retried...10 x.

Does this new version work for anybody with a diskless MD?????

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 03:58:54 pm »
If I understand corectly???? Yes I did delete the MD in the admin pages and retried...10 x.

Does this new version work for anybody with a diskless MD?????

Many people using diskless MD's....  and I know there are success stories with 64-bit...  I for one have weird issues with 64-bit....  both my core and one of my diskless MD's are 64-bit processors... however I'm having to run 32-bit on the core...  the 64-bit MD is running fine with the 64-bit version which was detected automatically...  I don't know why my core won't run the 64-bit version.

tkmedia

• View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 05:12:05 pm »
I use a diskless MD for my everyday computer for close to 6 months now.  704 0710b2 and 0710b3.

I have 3 or 4 other diskless MD that I use on regular basis - combination of I386 64bit PC's

My Aim is to have all pc's in my house run diskless.

Not sure if anyone asked do you have more than one nic in the pc's your are trying to pxe boot.??

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 05:18:17 pm »
I use a diskless MD for my everyday computer for close to 6 months now.  704 0710b2 and 0710b3.

I have 3 or 4 other diskless MD that I use on regular basis - combination of I386 64bit PC's

My Aim is to have all pc's in my house run diskless.

Not sure if anyone asked do you have more than one nic in the pc's your are trying to pxe boot.??

Question..  I tried using one of my MDs as the everyday computer for the house but found it was too sluggish when running KDE...  menus would hang for a few seconds..  applications would take too long to load for my liking...  how does yours perform??

tkmedia

• View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 05:32:43 pm »
Running an Amd 4200+ and don't see any issues.

Mainly running firefox while playing music from LinMce

MikeyMike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 06:48:11 pm »
OK So my set-up should work. ( I did before aswell but never stable). I only have one NIC in my MD (two in the hybrid).
I have one issue that is that I cannot see "Legacy LAN" anymore in the MD boot device priority list since I updated the bios.
I can only see Nvidia Boot age (if I enable Nvidia Boot ROM). I don't remember if I used that setting before or "Legacy LAN".

I there anybody that uses the same motherboard (M2NPV-VM) that can tell me their bios setting for the boot device priority in the MD?   
I amusing the latest 1201 bios for the MD. The chybrid (with the same motherboard) still has 0303....there I still have the option of legacy LAN.
I will update it today to the 1201 version. (edit: already updated and Legacy LAN is gone) Maybe that could be the issue?

So my question still is does someone know where to look to get more info on the failure I have. Which log file should I have a look at?
ps. the hybrid is not DHCP master on the WAN side, it just gets an address from my router on Eth0.
On Eth1 where the MD is there the MD gets 192.168.80.2

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:43:41 pm by MikeyMike »

tkmedia

• View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 09:31:42 pm »
You want nvidia boot age not legacy.

What address is the md getting.

Do you have a switch or hub to try.