Author Topic: alfa blending  (Read 5466 times)

cobradevil

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
alfa blending
« on: June 06, 2007, 08:44:45 am »
Can someone explain why alfa blending only works with nvidia 6xx and later?

Wil it in the future run on ati/via/intel graphic drivers?
The problem for me is the kind of PC that integrates the nvidia chips.

i wanna have an media director that has only passive cooling with everithing onboard.
thats why i think about getting a via epia but that one has only a via graphics adapter.

Thanx in advance

William

Hugolp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: alfa blending
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:29:11 am »
Via epia has been reported to be not powerfull enough to run HD video. You have the option of a motherboard with Nvidia 6 integrated.

Hugo

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 04:17:13 pm »
VIA UniChrome should support Alpha Blinding UI2 and HDTV. The problem with the rest video cards is drivers. Their producers don't offer the drivers or don't give any information or by some other reason but the best solution for UI2 Alpha Blending/HDTV is nVidia 6XXX. Especially if you take into account its price - about $30 - $40.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

simon_b

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:36:23 pm »
I also have the following EPIA board.. http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=301

Currently i'm installing LinuxMCE ('beta 3' version) on another AMD64 comp., but want to use this one as a MD... I've heard about 'i686' bug... but since there are no topics about that any more, is it solved??

I've seen something also about 'compile a kernel', but do not know, where to turn?!?! I'm a pretty new with this MCE stuf...

Any links maybe?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:51:19 am by simon_b »
ex Mythtv fan, the LinuxMCE newbie
----------
hoping for the best

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 05:29:22 pm »
I also have the following EPIA board.. http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=301

Currently i'm installing LinuxMCE ('beta 3' version) on another AMD64 comp., but want to use this one as a MD... I've heard about 'i686' bug... but since there are no topics about that any more, is it solved??

I've seen something also about 'compile a kernel', but do not know, where to turn?!?! I'm a pretty new with this MCE stuf...

Any links maybe?

What 'i686' bug are we talking about here?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 09:17:37 pm »

Any links maybe?

What 'i686' bug are we talking about here?

It's a common bug for older EPIA mobos - it says to kernel "I'm i686 device" and then whe it receives proper kernel it crashes. Under the Pluto, the workaround was needed to offer i386 kernel to them, but it was a pain to do it, cause Pluto didn't like other kernels beside it's kernel...

I still couldn't find proper solution to that problem on Epia side, although I wasn't searching quite intensively recently...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

samuelmukoti

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 07:25:50 am »
But it still doesn't answer the question pertaining to ATI and Intel hardware.  Whats the status on alpha blending with these.  Which drivers work? (if any) The Open Source, or the closed source?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 05:04:06 pm »
But it still doesn't answer the question pertaining to ATI and Intel hardware.  Whats the status on alpha blending with these.  Which drivers work? (if any) The Open Source, or the closed source?

The status is that neither has drivers that can properly support the blended UI2, opensource or otherwise.  And the same goes for VIA. 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous