Author Topic: Multiple Interfaces on Core  (Read 9288 times)

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Interfaces on Core
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 05:41:56 pm »
dukat:
I understand how hopeless this seems to the uninitiated. I'm a little lost here as well. However I will figure out how to add a wireless NIC as an access point over the next few weeks. Once I have it working I'll bug the right people on how to get LMCE to set it up properly.

Mathew, Colin:
Thanks for the advise. I now know which files to screw up to get this working.
                                              -1audio

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 05:50:14 pm »
Thank you all for the hints you gave. In the end this proved way to complicated for me so I dropped it...

Still I think having two internal interfaces would make sense, especially if one is a wlan device acting as an access point. Well, I might try it again if I can configure this from the web in LMCE 8.10.  :)

Changing "eth0" to "eth0 eth1" in /etc/default/dhcp3-server , and adding a second 6-line subnet block in /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf is too complicated? I wish someone would try it out and report back the test results, so I could find out whether my research into this solution actually works for that use case.

Serving a lot of simultaneous but different video streams to different rooms could need multiple inside LAN segments. Or avoiding QoS configs by dedicating a separate inside LAN segment to telephony (or home automation, or alarm video, etc). I'd like to see whether LMCE handles those configs by DHCP, which is LMCE's plug & play model, or whether something new needs to be added to the SW. Or just a GUI for adding the other segments and their respective configs.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 06:02:59 pm »
Easiest way to get a wireless accesspoint added is to just hook up a wifi router to the switch on lmce's internal network.  Just need to turn off it's dhcp and leave the WAN port unused.

I wish someone would try it out and report back the test results, so I could find out whether my research into this solution actually works for that use case.

Why don't you get off your lazy ass and try something yourself for a change?  Instead of your usual: adding a lot of noise and then waiting for everyone to hand you everything on a silver platter so you can claim you've "solved" something, it is getting pretty annoying. 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 09:13:25 pm »
Easiest way to get a wireless accesspoint added is to just hook up a wifi router to the switch on lmce's internal network.  Just need to turn off it's dhcp and leave the WAN port unused.

I wish someone would try it out and report back the test results, so I could find out whether my research into this solution actually works for that use case.

Why don't you get off your lazy ass and try something yourself for a change?  Instead of your usual: adding a lot of noise and then waiting for everyone to hand you everything on a silver platter so you can claim you've "solved" something, it is getting pretty annoying. 

I put together a solution for this specific problem which doesn't require very much of the requestor to try out, instead of giving up. Their testing the results would be good for the whole community.

That's what working together as a community is like. I'm working on quite a lot of actual functions in LMCE right now. I've been asking for some help navigating code and not getting it, but that's not stopping me, though it's slowing me down. There is absolutely no reason for you to talk like such an asshole, except you've got some kind of grudge against me for acting like an adult when you don't. As I've asked before, get off my back already and either contribute something constructive or shut up.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 01:09:24 am »
Oi you two, off the soap boxes please! Zaerc has contributed plenty, esp helping people on these boards. And Zaerc - where's the chill pills gone? You've been very mellow for the last few months ;)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 03:50:58 pm »
I reckon it would take about 10 minutes max to chuck in an extra nic into a machine.  But I guess that's to much effort to do yourself to test your own "research".  :P

As far as constructive goes, read my post again it has the solution to adding a wireless acesspoint.  So why don't you take your own advice and "contribute something constructive or shut up" yourself instead of relying on others to hand you everything on a silver platter.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous