Author Topic: DVB tuners  (Read 23540 times)

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
DVB tuners
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:54:15 pm »
These tuners run Linux and have a RS232 interface. Does anyone have any idea this will work?

http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/english/products_overview.php

bundie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DVB tuners
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:12:24 pm »
Hi Thingie,

Yep this wil work...

I have a DM 500-T, it's video output is connected to the composite-in of a PVR-250 card on the Core. I have no experience with the RS232 port on the Dreambox, I use it's network connection to change the channels (A simple script sends a wget command to the Dreambox  to change the channel)

Hope this helps,
Greetz,
Reint.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:56:07 pm »
I have a DM 500-T, it's video output is connected to the composite-in of a PVR-250 card on the Core. I have no experience with the RS232 port on the Dreambox, I use it's network connection to change the channels (A simple script sends a wget command to the Dreambox  to change the channel)
that could be easily done with a GSD. Look at the ip camera templates for examples/ruby snippets.

best regards,
Hari
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:47:52 am by hari »
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:43:33 pm »
Hi guys,

thx for the quick reply. One question:

If I get HD-TV signals from my provider won't the quality get lost when connected to the TV-card?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:45:11 pm by Thingie »

bundie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 01:48:39 pm »
Hi Thingie,

Yep, regrettably, you are fully correct. Your HD signal will be converted into an analog signal by connecting it to the analog PVR and thus not HD anymore... Are the current Dreamboxes capable for HD-TV? I know they are working on a HD-model but it's not available yet (I think).

For me this is not a real issue, my Dutch DVB-T provider (Digitenne) is nowhere near HD quality...

Greetings,
Reint.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 03:23:51 pm »
Hi Thingie,

Yep, regrettably, you are fully correct. Your HD signal will be converted into an analog signal by connecting it to the analog PVR and thus not HD anymore... Are the current Dreamboxes capable for HD-TV? I know they are working on a HD-model but it's not available yet (I think).

For me this is not a real issue, my Dutch DVB-T provider (Digitenne) is nowhere near HD quality...

Greetings,
Reint.

Have you got a way to watch the conax encrypted channels as well?  Or do you use their box to decrypt to analog?  Would be nice to get all the channels, "legal" or otherwise (if necessary).  But all the info I could find about conax cams so far was very vague and old so probably outdated.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

bundie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 08:26:27 pm »
Hi Zaerc,

Took me a while to figure that one out, but I got the conax decryption working on the Dreambox. I flashed the dreambox with a Gemini Project image and installed CCCamd-2.0.4 as the camd to decrypt the channels. Works like a charm...and watching legal too as an added bonus ;-)

Cheers,
Reint.

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 10:12:25 pm »
Ok,

after a lof af reading, looking around on the web and posting a few questions here on the forum. I finally made a decission. I've ordered a Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-S-Plus and a Hauppauge WinTV CI - CAM adapter. I'm in Belgium and want to use TV Vlaanderen as a provider. The goods are on the way so now I hope the best. I'll post my experiences and if everything goes well I'll make a wiky about it. Btw, I'm intending to use VDR.
Wish me luck and thanks for all the helpfull replies.

Thingie

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 04:38:54 am »
Hi Zaerc,

Took me a while to figure that one out, but I got the conax decryption working on the Dreambox. I flashed the dreambox with a Gemini Project image and installed CCCamd-2.0.4 as the camd to decrypt the channels. Works like a charm...and watching legal too as an added bonus ;-)

Cheers,
Reint.

Nice work, I guess there is hope afterall. ;)

Ok,

after a lof af reading, looking around on the web and posting a few questions here on the forum. I finally made a decission. I've ordered a Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-S-Plus and a Hauppauge WinTV CI - CAM adapter. I'm in Belgium and want to use TV Vlaanderen as a provider. The goods are on the way so now I hope the best. I'll post my experiences and if everything goes well I'll make a wiky about it. Btw, I'm intending to use VDR.

Thingie

Good luck Thingy, keep us posted.

Sure would be nice to have a (legal) solution for watching paytv properly, thanks for the info.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

dreadful

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:59:15 pm »

Is the network control something that is implemented already in 0710 or did you hack it yourself?

/Regards Oscar

bundie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 11:32:35 am »

Is the network control something that is implemented already in 0710 or did you hack it yourself?

Hi Oscar,

If I add a Dreambox to the LinuxMCE system, I can choose "dreambox (network control)" in the A/V equipment wizard. So somehow it might be implemented in LinuxMCE itself, but I'm not able to do anything with it (probably a personal shortcoming)  :) .

So I "hacked" it myself into the core. It's just a matter of copying the channel changing script to the core, and in Myth-setup telling Mythtv to use this script to change the channel...

Cheers,
Reint

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 12:50:32 pm »
there is a template already. Please try to use that.

best regards,
Hari

btw: this thread is in the wrong board.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 09:25:15 am »
Ok,

Thingie

Hi... Great to hear your planning to use lmcevdr :-)

let us know how you get on with this card/CAM. We'd appreciate some feedback ;-)
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 10:26:37 pm »
A dreambox flashed with the Neutrino image works in MythTV.
It's like a PVR card over LAN.

You can select it in the mythadmin as a regular pvr card. Think it's called Dbox2 or something. Just add the ip adress of your dreambox and set it up like a regular DVB card.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 10:28:04 pm »