Author Topic: Creating a FAQ  (Read 27186 times)

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
Creating a FAQ
« on: January 22, 2008, 03:45:35 pm »
One of the suggestions for the furums that came up when I was out in Sunnyvale talking to various people about UI3 was to create a a list of frequently asked questions for both this forum, the Developers forum. The idea is to make a sticky post to the respective forums with the questions and short answers which point to the wiki for each in depth answer.

So lets figure out what should go in that FAQ in this thread.

My initial suggestions:

Q: I just installed LinuxMCE and all I see is a blank screen, what now?
A: The AVWizard is running on a different video port, or at a resolution your screen can't resolve so you can't see it. See here http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard for instructions on making it visible.

Q: Why does the LinuxMCE core router want to act as the DHCP server?
A: In order to netboot Orbiters it needs to be able to run a DHCP server that tells new computers and devices on it's private network where to find their operating system kernels; or in some cases their configuration parameters. Running the DHCP server on the core also allows it to locate network devices such as a HDHomeRun tuner without constantly scanning the network for new devices. This allows you to do things like temporarily boot your MS Windows laptop as a LinuxMCE orbiter without installing any software on that laptop, just by selecting network boot (aka PXE boot) at startup via BIOS hot-keys.

Q: What is the easiest way to set up networking for the LinuxMCE core router?
A: Use two network ports on your core, one with connected to your DSL or cable modem, and the other connected to the network switch that serves the rest of the computers in your home. When it receives a response to it's DHCP request on one port it will automatically use the other port for it's DHCP server, to serve the rest of your network.

Q: If I can't add a second NIC to my LinuxMCE core, how can I still allow LinuxMCE to furnish DHCP to my network?
A: This can be done by turning off DHCP on your cable or DSL modem, and configuring LinuxMCE external networking parameters in the admin panel. [link to step-by-step instructions].

Q: If I can't turn off DHCP on my cable or DSL modem, and I can't add another NIC to my LinuxMCE core, can I still use LinuxMCE?
A: Yes, but you will not be able netboot orbiters and some external control and recording devices will not function. To do this you must reconfigure LinuxMCE to disable it's DHCP server in the admin panel. [link to step-by-step instructions].

Q: What kinds of remotes are best for LinuxMCE?
A: ....

Q: How do I use my existing infrared remote with LinuxMCE?
A: ....

Q: What do I do about video tearing in LinuxMCE?
A: This usually happens when you try to use a more advanced UI than your graphics card can handle with the video resolutions you are using. Try turning off alpha blending if you have it enabled for UI2, or switching to UI1. This can be done in the AVWizard. You can launch the AVWizard at boot time by pressing the shift key on your keyboard when rebooting just after the rising series of beeps, but before the descending series of beeps. See [url]http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard[url] for instructions on using the AVWizard.

Q: My monitor has a resolution not supported by the AVWizard, how do I make things look right?
A: First run the AVWizard to set things up using any resolution supported by both the AVWizard and your monitor. See  [url]http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard[url] for instructions on using the AVWizard. Now once you have successfully set up LinuxMCE at this resolution you will have to manually edit your X.org configuration file. It is located at "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". Normally all you have to do is change the Modes "640x480" line below the Depth 24 line to match the resolution of your monitor, but you may also need to commend out some additional configuration lines for nVidia cards in particular. Once the right resolution is set, simply reboot and LinuxMCE will adjust to the new resolution. [link to more detailed explanation/howto].

Please add any other, non-development, questions and answers [if you know them] to this thread....

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
Re: Creating a FAQ
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:05:43 pm »
Q. How do I make additional mouse-buttons behave as F6, F7, F8 in UI2?

A. See here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Use_Additional_Mouse_Buttons

thanks to chewi for helping me out on this one.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:02:59 pm »
How about a separate User FAQ with "get it", "install it" and "troubleshoot it" and "use it" (features) sections. And a separate Developer FAQ, with "get source", "compile", "navigate", "report bugs" and "contribute changes" sections.

And then a separate Community FAQ that identifies all the documentation, notification and discussion locations. Where to see news, where and how to post questions, how to search for answers, how to contribute to the discussions, the wiki, the code.

Probably some crossreferencing between them.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:13:42 am »
How about a separate User FAQ with "get it", "install it" and "troubleshoot it" and "use it" (features) sections. And a separate Developer FAQ, with "get source", "compile", "navigate", "report bugs" and "contribute changes" sections.

And then a separate Community FAQ that identifies all the documentation, notification and discussion locations. Where to see news, where and how to post questions, how to search for answers, how to contribute to the discussions, the wiki, the code.

So who

A. Makes the decision of organizing it?
B. Actually does it?

Because your idea sounds like a nice mod to the original post.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:01:48 pm »

So who

A. Makes the decision of organizing it?
B. Actually does it?

Because your idea sounds like a nice mod to the original post.

I think that if danielk starts a FAQ in the wiki structured like that, then we can all have a go at populating it.

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 04:25:28 pm »
I think "get it", "install it" and "troubleshoot it" all belong in one FAQ, but I can see a "use it" FAQ as a separate entity. I already think the developer FAQ should be a separate entity and started a discussion in the developer forum about that FAQ.

FYI There is already a FAQ in the Wiki which Zaerc and Lozzo edited, but these answer more general questions than some of the 'how do I do X' questions I see posted in the forums.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 04:53:30 pm »
I think "get it", "install it" and "troubleshoot it" all belong in one FAQ, but I can see a "use it" FAQ as a separate entity. I already think the developer FAQ should be a separate entity and started a discussion in the developer forum about that FAQ.

FYI There is already a FAQ in the Wiki which Zaerc and Lozzo edited, but these answer more general questions than some of the 'how do I do X' questions I see posted in the forums.

Keep in mind that most FAQs I see these days aren't really Frequently Asked Questions. They're just more top-down instructions repackaged as Q&A. I wonder if there's any way to actually find out which questions are frequently asked, and then answer them. That would have a lot more value to the questioners. Though there's still a lot of value in answering the "Most Important Questions".

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 12:37:51 am »

Keep in mind that most FAQs I see these days aren't really Frequently Asked Questions. They're just more top-down instructions repackaged as Q&A. I wonder if there's any way to actually find out which questions are frequently asked, and then answer them. That would have a lot more value to the questioners. Though there's still a lot of value in answering the "Most Important Questions".

unless there is some way to cull the existing forum, i think someone is gonna have to manually look through the threads.
Some things I notice a lot
-Resolution - Displays, screen resolution, UI choices.
-Recommended system specs, ie HD ready vs standard def ready systems.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 12:50:06 am »
We should also make it a point not to spam the board if you haven't taken the time to SEARCH for what you are looking for.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 04:52:20 am »
how about the wiki is connected to pluto wizard and puts together wiki pages you need to read when it gathers info about your computer.  and add devices etc...

What would be great would be a page in the wiki for each page in the Adminsite, linked from the adminsite, and then linked to the existing content in the rest of the wiki.

Nephus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 09:41:38 am »
It's good to see an attempt at reorganizing some of this info in a more logical and easier to search format.  I've been researching this package for months trying to figure out how to get everything properly set up before I began, and some info is almost impossible to find a clear answer on.  The wiki has become a mess, and posting a question on the forums... well you're more likely to be attacked than get any help.  It does no good to search when all you find is thread after thread of people being too full of themselves, yet not a single answer to the issue you're searching for.  There's no point in building a community full of bad neighbors.

sk1

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 10:44:07 pm »
I would disagree about the attacked part, I've only see people get attacked if they post for the first time saying, "This Linux MCE is the suxxor cuz I get get it installed and I'm l33t" or "I'm a fricking idiot cuz I didn't read the instructions and formatted my drive and it's all you people in the forum's fault"

People round here have been nice from the short time I've been here.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 10:56:23 pm »
It's good to see an attempt at reorganizing some of this info in a more logical and easier to search format.  I've been researching this package for months trying to figure out how to get everything properly set up before I began, and some info is almost impossible to find a clear answer on.  The wiki has become a mess, and posting a question on the forums... well you're more likely to be attacked than get any help.  It does no good to search when all you find is thread after thread of people being too full of themselves, yet not a single answer to the issue you're searching for.  There's no point in building a community full of bad neighbors.

The only attacks on here are when someone posts a question that has been asked previously and answered to exhaustion.  If you don't bother searching first and ask one of these questions, yes you are more than likely going to be met with hostility.  I agree, the wiki needs to be worked on.  Have YOU contributed to improving the wiki?  I have..  I would have to say that 100% of the people on here have normal lives and jobs so it's a bit of a task to update all aspects of the wiki when people only have to time to work on this in their spare time.  Don't complain if you don't have anything useful to contribute yourself.

The developers are extremely helpful when asked a question that needs to be answered and hasn't been asked a million times before.  I don't consider any of them to be 'bad neighbors'

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 12:15:28 am »

-Do you have any examples of how the wiki is 'a mess' ?
-Where are the threads with people full of themselves. Normally its someone asking the person posting to do some research before they post. Generally, when I search for something, its located. After all, it had to be answered once for people to tell you to search.

We need the users to be less needy and 'do it now' and more community based. Posting a topic without looking into it at all is pretty irresponsible. Im not saying this is you, but there seem to be a lot of recent new users who feel this is their personal support forum. Part of being a community is not being a burden to others in the community unnecessarily.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 01:05:44 am »
We need the users to be less needy and 'do it now' and more community based. Posting a topic without looking into it at all is pretty irresponsible. Im not saying this is you, but there seem to be a lot of recent new users who feel this is their personal support forum. Part of being a community is not being a burden to others in the community unnecessarily.
well said.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation