Author Topic: arrrgh cat /dev/fb won't work  (Read 1030 times)

tehnoobie

arrrgh cat /dev/fb won't work
« on: January 21, 2008, 04:18:44 pm »
I've installed all the drivers, firmware and have completed the setup but now my dang framebuffer isn't working!!  PLEASE! Somebody help me figure out why my framebuffer is not turned on.   ???

tehnoobie

Re: arrrgh cat /dev/fb won't work
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 07:24:47 pm »
i know it's my framebuffer i just can't figure out how to turn it on.  There are ton's of wiki's out there about this, if you someone could point me to one that is safe and is not going to cause me even more grief i'd greatly appreciate it.

tehnoobie

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 07:15:46 pm »
Oh right,  ;D in my post i didn't add what i am doing.  Frustrated and dazed i gave up for a while.  So i am installing a pvr 350 on 0704, things seem to be working ok on the bootup.  LMCE finds the card and gives no errors (of course until i try and watch tv) but when i try and test the card using cat /dev/fb it just sits there.  So then i do a ls -l  /proc to see if the framebuffer is even turned on.  Its not highlighted which means to me it's not even loading correctly.  Which brings me to my three questions,  would configing the xorg.conf and setting the fb to video0 help to see if that works?  Or should i try something else?  Next is there an easier wiki to follow on setting up a pvr 350.  The myth tv wikis are a little confusing and the add in's seem a little rushed, not that i don't appreciate the info it's just im learning linux and I need step by step instructions or i get lost.   

Thanks for any help in advance

tehnoobie

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 05:08:16 am »
K got the pvr 350 working, if anyone is intrested in how let me know and i'll tell you.  Now though i only get channels 5 & 6.  I am hooking my cable line directly into the pvr card if that makes any difference.  Not sure i didn't set up myth right or if need the cable box.  any help would be appreciated.  thanks

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 03:59:43 pm »
Now that you said what you are doing maybe I can help.

I had a similar problem with a pvr250.

There was something in the wiki about uninstalling and reinstalling ivtv something about firmware.(I think)

not sure if this is same problem but may worth a shot.

HTH
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

tehnoobie

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:34:27 pm »
ok followed the wiki, installed the firmware.  Card works but now the command line is overlaying my tv screen and im still getting channels 5&6 only.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks