Author Topic: Black screen after installation is finished  (Read 80986 times)

dan g

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Black screen after installation is finished
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:59:20 am »
I've seen that reported few times, and because it's not an issue I post this sticky topic:

After rebooting the computer the AV wizard starts. If you don't have VGA connector (if you use DVI (or HDMI), S-video, composite, or component) you get a "Black screen". Please read the whole page (if new linuxmce user) and specially Section II.

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard_running_steps

Section II

Another method to choose the resolutions and the connector is by pressing some keyboard keys. By default, the AV Wizard has the resolution 640x480 on VGA. To choose the connector you have to press the keys from 1 to 5 (1=DVI, 2=VGA, 3=Component, 4=Composite, 5=S-Video). To choose a resolution you have to press the keys from 6 to 0 (6=640x480, 7=1024x768, 8=720p, 9=1080i, 0=1080p). For choosing the resolution and connector you have to be in the initial screen of AV Wizard.

The_Nightfly

• View Profile
Re: Black screen after installation is finished
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:31:24 pm »
Hello,
I'm very new in all this linux stuff, I've seen the linuxmce demo video and was amazed by all the features.

So I went into my computer store and bought some stuff:

It's an Intel DualCore 2GHz with an Nvidia MSI 8600 graphic card.

The Installation by dvd was perfect until the reboot. The screen went blank and that was it. So I check here and wrote that it could be the screen resolution by DVI or Svideo. But I connected my monitor via VGA, so that's tnot the problem.

Is there any way to get this going? Like CD Installation or anything?

Eager to hear some tipps.

Thx
Philipp

aysal

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:00:19 pm »
I get a black screen on reboot directly after the grub-message. Changing the output by pressing 1-5 makes my pc just beep... I tried with composite and svga.

I use 7.10 beta 4 and have a Asus M2a-VM HDMI-Board.

Thanks

Ender

aysal

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 07:05:53 pm »
This helped me: http://www.kvaes.be/mythtv/the-unofficial-guide-to-getting-your-tv-out-working-on-an-ati-x1250/

I still dont get the splashscreen and i cant see the virtual COnsoles using Strg+F?.

Ender

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 06:13:36 pm »
Not seeing the Splash screen and long boot up times is an issue with Kubuntu 7.10 for some people. If anyone is experiencing long boot up times and missing the splash screen, see this post:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3982.msg22592#msg22592

lon22

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 01:21:33 am »
I dorked around with this for days trying to figure it out.  It did not dawn on me until I read the AV Wizard instruction for the 100th time.  Here is a fix in my case.

NEW INSTALL/SETUP - If your initial output is DVI - it won't work (so I've discovered with 0710RC2), you must put a DVI to VGA plug on the DVI output and then you should see the AV Wizard.    I have done this on all 4 of my MD's and they are now working.

When I did this, it appeard that my system had been booting the entire time correctly and got to the UI1 screen.  I'd been pressing every stupid number button imagineable.

Hope this helps.

penlost

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 11:07:33 am »
Having resolved my previous issues i got linux MCE to install. However, upon reboot I get exactly the same problem. I am using a VGA cable so I should be ok to see the AV set-up. I have tried the suggestions here but nothing works. Can anyone suggest something else to get it working?

bgp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 09:40:15 pm »
Dan,

I'm glad this is not an issue for you, but you may not be able to say for sure that it is not an issue for everyone experiencing this problem, unless you fancy travelling round the world checking our installations.

I have had a variety of difficulties with output from my FiireStations to my plasma and my LCD, many of which could be characterised as "black screen after installation is finished". I am well aware of the options to change port and resolution using the number keys. In my case this did not help. Nor did trying different output ports (VGA, S-Video, as well as DVI/HDMI, which is my preference). So far, no definitive solution has been found.

I'd suggest this may not be an issue - try the number keys might be a more appropriate generalisation.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 12:34:45 am »
Dan - what do you think about a possible enhancement to the keyboard shortcuts in the AVWizard that allow you to toggle between video chipsets? Perhaps just hit the space bar... maybe use lspci to identify them, then update the PCIBus setting in xorg.conf each time you hit the space bar...

I put a new video card in my machine, but my BIOS is one of those ones that only allows you to change which chipset is initialised first, not actually disable the onboard. So when it starts up it selects the onboard chipset still and I get a black screen. I knew the reason, and went into the recovery mode from GRUB, then manually edited my xorg.conf file and restarted, but many wouldn't know this ... and I guess it would be nice to add that extra bit to the wizard just to make it a bit easier.

Better yet, what tells the BIOS and linux loader to use the right video card (as video output is fine until X tries to start for the wizard) - could the wizard simply use that setting as the default xorg.conf - I'm assuming either an attached monitor is detected or all outputs are used simultaneously, but for some reason the initial xorg.conf file generated chooses the onboard chipset (why doesn't it pick the "first initialised" set in BIOS?

Col.

ASquared21

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 03:26:16 am »
Hi,
I too am using VGA as my connection and can't see the AV wizard. Hahaha, well I am blind so I can't see it anyway, but it doesn't come up as far as I could tell with my limited vision and sighted friends say it doesn't. Kubuntu worked fine. Everything was displayed. I installed from CD.

Now it boots, shows the Kubuntu splash screen and some code and then drops the signal to my monitor and beeps.

Thanks,

aggiemarine07

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 06:14:30 pm »
Ok if your keys dont work whenever you get that blank screen, you might want to try this with a wired keyboard (just as a precaution). Keep in mind you dont want to hold down any keys:

Power on the computer
Kbuntu starts to load then you hear the first beeps (that to me sounds like an old cell phone ringtone)
it then finishes loading and that is where you get the blank screen, and you then get a second set of beeps

When you get the blank screen after this second set of beeps, hit enter

First we need to select what video type we want to do this you will need to press the down arrow key a certain number of times (depending on type):
For VGA - press nothing
For DVI/HDMI - press the down arrow key once
For Component - press the down arrow key twice
For Composite - press the down arrow key three times
For S-video - press the down arrow key four times

After youve pressed the down arrow key X amount of times you need to press the RIGHT ARROW KEY to move on and select your resolution:
If you selected VGA
640x480 (4:3) - press nothing
480p (16:9) - press the same key once
800x600 (4:3) - press it two times
720p (16:9) - three times
1024 x768 (4:3) - four times
1280x800 (custom) - five times
1280x1024 (5:4) - six times
1080p (16:9) - seven times

If you selected DVI/HDMI
640x480 (4:3) - press nothing
480p (16:9) - press the same key once
800x600 (4:3) - press it two times
720p (16:9) - three times
1024 x768 (4:3) - four times
1280x800 (custom) - five times
1280x1024 (5:4) - six times
1080p (16:9) - seven times

If you selected Component
HD480p - press press nothing
HD720p - press it once

If you selected Composite
PAL-B - nothing
PAL-D - press the down arrow key once
PAL-G - press it twice
PAL-H - press it three times
PAL-I - press it four times
PAL-K1 - press it five times
PAL-M - press it six times
PAL-N - press it seven times
PAL-NC - press it eight times
NTSC-J - press it nine times
NTSC-M - press it 10 times

If you Selected S-Video
PAL-B - nothing
PAL-D - press the down arrow key once
PAL-G - press it twice
PAL-H - press it three times
PAL-I - press it four times
PAL-K1 - press it five times
PAL-M - press it six times
PAL-N - press it seven times
PAL-NC - press it eight times
NTSC-J - press it nine times
NTSC-M - press it 10 times

Now that you have selected your resolution, hit the RIGHT ARROW KEY again to select your refresh rate. Keep in mind that you should consult your manual to determine your monitor/tv refresh rate correctly.

If you are using DVI/HDMI
50hz - nothing
60hz - press the down arrow key once
65hz - press it twice
70hz - press it three times
75hz - press it four times
80hz - press it five times
85hz - press it six times

***If you are using Component, composite, S-Video you do not need to select this setting.

After you have done all this hit the enter key and if you try what you set. It should work because all you are doing is navigating the menu "blindly."  The computer is projecting an image but you just cant see it because its in VGA. With this method as long as you have a keyboard (wired, not wireless, just for failproof sake) then this should work.

Let me (and others) know if this works or not. Thanks!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 10:02:40 pm »
Dude, this really isn't necessary.. If you look here:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard

there is a set of keys you can press on your keyboard, to select the appropriate input.

-Thom

aggiemarine07

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 10:38:07 pm »
I know it may work for some but that didnt work for me at all; even after multiple reboots and different keyboards and even different monitors. So I used the method I stated earlier and that did.

marunga

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 05:18:56 pm »
Hi,

Using the MB on-board 6100 VGA chip, no problem, it works. Using the PCIe 7600GS (DVI) with the default drivers (vesa), also works, BUT, when using the 7600GS (DVI) with the new NVIDIA (official) drivers, gives a nice black screen after the Ubuntu splash screen. Tried all "solutions" (pressed all the numeric keys and changed all the connections), and nothing solves this issue. Also followed some advice found in the forums (check logs, dmesg, etc) and did not see any problem or failure in the logs. Since the 7600 has more performance, I think it is preferred.
This is bugging me out. Since I started this because I wanted a better image quality/performance/geek factor from my media center (using Xbox+XBMC. It just works :-)  )

Thank you for any help.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 12:26:36 am »
Ssh to you machine and type lspci, paste output here. Paste your xorg.conf file here.