Author Topic: xmltv grabbers  (Read 2091 times)

Domodude

xmltv grabbers
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:03:53 am »
Hi all,

Mythtv offers a number of standard xmltv grabbers. I know that for the Dutch situation, there are at least 4 grabbers, and at least two have at some point been part of mythtv. Perhaps we should see which grabbers are used by LMCE users. I found that an alternative grabber I installed was actually recognized in the mythtv-setup menus, and it would be very nice to get a somewhat more extensive list in the LMCE distribution.

Let me kick off by listing the two grabbers I like to use:

For the Dutch channels: tv_grab_nl_py, http://visualization.tudelft.nl/~paul/grabber
For all others on (Dutch) UPC cable: tv_grab_nl_upc, http://www.caliban.org/ruby/xmltv_upc.shtml

Cheers,
Mark

Domodude

Re: xmltv grabbers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:46:21 am »
Come on you European mythtv users, are all of you happy with the current selection of grabbers?  :o

samuelmukoti

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 02:10:13 pm »
Yes! I'm in total agreement. I'm from Africa and am keen on getting this working out of the box! we have a za_xmltv grabber in CVS, and secondly i can easily import data manually with "mythtvfilldatabase --file"

Is there anyway we can make contributions to the LMCE team to get these things sorted out?

Right now i've got no EPG, though my pure mythtv box has one.

best regards,

Sam

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 10:23:42 pm »
I believe ZA is only going DVB this year, but domodude - have you considered using VDR?

samuelmukoti

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 07:16:46 am »
Colinjones: sorry don't get what u mean by SA only going DVB this year.   Using EIT MythTV gets all the EPG stuff over the air. Thats is working fine. But we need to be able to schedule future shows on a month-view type EPG.

Secondly, it would be nice if i could contribute, "format, prepare, code" whats necessary for LMCE to auto configure EPG from the setup wizard, improving the whole setup experience.

thx

Domodude

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 10:08:11 am »
I believe ZA is only going DVB this year, but domodude - have you considered using VDR?

Not really looked into it yet, to be honest. I'm a long-term mythtv fan, but maybe I should look at DVB, too...

(Although I set up my LMCE for myth already...)

cyf4746

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 04:25:29 am »
I found this blog for xmltv grabber for Malaysia TV Channel. I wonder how to install it in LMCE and benefit to Malaysian users.
The link is here: http://sayap.com/blog/2008/12/30/mythtv-s-xmltv-grabber-for-malaysia-channels

eNoodle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:10:14 am »
I'm living in germany. In the past I used tv_grab_de_tvtoday, but the grabber needed adjustements everytime tvtoday changed something in their sourcecode.

I'm now using epgdata.com. This cost me 15 euro a year, but it is much faster (I'm updating 7 days within ten minutes) and reliable. They offer more then 200 european channels and provide a lot of details for each show.

eNoodle

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 02:51:33 pm »
A small note guys.

You do not HAVE to use mythtv internal grabbers to get EPG data.
Any grabber which can be set to run daily using Kcrone or something, along with a small script to push the data into the myth db (which can also be run daily using Kcrone)will do the job.

Itsik