Author Topic: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H Looks HOT!  (Read 4245 times)

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H Looks HOT!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 06:53:26 pm »
Ladies and Gents,

I haven't been to thrilled with my past 2 Gigabyte MicroATX Motherboards.  Over the past month I've had so many problems with sound, and continual sata controller resets that could only be resolved by rebooting the box.  A new hard drive and new sata cables did not remedy the problem. If I can't utilize the hard drive then I can't use Linuxmce.

I used the old hard drive successfully with Fedora Core 7 on the new motherboard without problems.  I have made several discoveries.  Let's start with the Kernel:

2.6.22-14 (Kubuntu)
*No sound with the nvidia sound card. Brute force method I posted earlier had to be applied to get it to work.
*Belkin F5D5005 Gigabit Desktop Adapter receives i/o error every 2 - 6 hours where all traffic stops and the machine has to be rebooted.
*Prolific USB to Serial Adapters did not work at all.  I only have one serial port so that meant no W800RF or DSC 5401 on my system
*nVida Serial ATA Controller had resets ever few hours

2.6.24.3-34 (Fedora 8 )
Brief note on this kernel from the Fedora Website
======
2.6.24 includes CPU "group scheduling", memory fragmentation avoidance, tickless support for x86-64/ppc and other architectures, many new wireless drivers and a new wireless configuration interface, SPI/SDIO MMC support, USB authorization, per-device dirty memory thresholds, support for PID and network namespaces, support for static probe markers, read-only bind mounts, SELinux performance improvements, SATA link power management and port multiplier support, Large Receive Offload in network devices, memory hot-remove support, a new framework for controlling the idle processor power management, CIFS ACLs support, many new drivers and many other features and fixes.
======
*Sound out of the box - even with digital out
*Belkin F5D5005 Gigabit Desktop Adapter worked great
*Prolific USB to Serial Adapters work out of the box.  W800RF and DSC5401 amongst others now work on my box.
*Zwave USB Device was the only working usb device other than my usb drive.
*nVida Serial ATA Controller is solid

Iptables + The linuxmce  firewall gui = disaster.
I've used iptables in a dual nic setup for the past 7 years or so in this configuration for email and web on a sever and remote access on other

# - Interface eth1 is the internet interface
# - Interface eth0 is the private network interface
external_int="eth1"
external_ip="`ifconfig $external_int | grep 'inet addr' | awk '{print $2}' | sed -e 's/.*://'`"
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -i eth1 -o eth0 -d 192.168.2.1 --dport 80 --sport 1024:65535 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth1 -d $external_ip --dport 5900 --sport 1024:65535 -j DNAT --to 192.168.2.3:5900

Iptables no longer functions the same even after allowing all traffic to and from both interfaces.  I'm still only able to access my server from behind the LAN, never from the WAN.

With all that being said, If a newer Ubuntu Kernel and modules could be used then I believe that the experience would be much better.
Hardy Heron 8.04 will be out before Linuxmce 7.10 is out of the oven.  I'd be glad to come back to using Linuxmce when the Ubuntu Kernel gets a little better.  As it stands, my hard drive won't work more than a day then I have to reboot.

Currently I'm back to Fedora Core 8 and using Misterhouse for my Home Automation and Mythtv for my pvr. My front/end backends are all connect to TVs or monitors so TV and Movies can be watched from any of them.  I lack sending video to all frontends at once, but I can use the video out on my PVR-350 to an unmodulated cable channel and sound over speakers using a cheap stereo fm transmitter.  Ugly but it works. 

Linuxmce staff and developers let me know if I can do anything to help you achieve a rock solid product.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 07:34:42 pm by nswint »