Author Topic: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H Looks HOT!  (Read 4344 times)

Sparkie

Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H Looks HOT!
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:04:49 pm »
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H

http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2691&ProductName=GA-73PVM-S2H

Looks promising. Can anyone confirm compatibility with 0710? Has anyone used this as a Media Director or Core?

blackoper

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H Looks HOT!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:39:52 am »
that board looks very nice. I'll put that on my list for any future mds/myth frontends I build. Looking at the specs everything appears to be linux ready. Ti chipset for firewire, realtek chipset for gigabit.. only question would be the ide/sata chipset
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:41:36 am by blackoper »

Sparkie

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 09:13:18 am »
Blackoper. Do you think it could be used as an MD or Core? I was recently going with an AMD platform for my MD and Core but I didn't like the integrated Radeon on the motherboard. Would the GA-73PVM-S2H work as a Core or a Media Director? Does 0710 support the 7100 integrated Video and such?

Sparkie

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:29:16 pm »
Can anyone confirm that the above motherboard will work as a Media Director or as a Core?

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 03:53:14 am »
I have the GA-73VM-S2.  Almost the same.  It works with the Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04 Beta 4 Live CD.  I'm still running Fedora 8 until Linux MCE 7.10 is released and I'll reformat with it.

Looks promising as a core.  I haven't connected it up to my tv.  I could test and let you know how it goes.

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:41:48 am »
I have one of these too, and I'm going to try and make an MD out of it. I'll post my expiriance here once I get to it ...

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 12:58:28 am »
Well, I finally got to tinkering with this board and here's the first part of the report as promised...

I loaded it up with 2 gigs of ram and a Pentium Core2Duo 6550, a LG SATA dvd/rw and a WD 160 gb HDD,  and decided to make a core/hybrid out of it.
0710B3 dvd install went smooth with special issues untill the AVwizard froze on the DTS test. I hit Ctrl+alt+F2 to try and unmute the spdif out, enter "alsamixer" and it's not there. I try to see what sound card I have just to discover the NO sound card was detected at all.
A quick google search tells me 2 things. What I have is a Realtek ALC889A HD Audio chipset and this thing has problems under windows as well.
A little more digging and I find that Realtek have released a set of linux drivers for this chipset. So I downloaded the driver and installed it, and now everything's working fine, including the AVwizard which does not freeze altough there's still no sound. I unmuted the spdif in alsamixer but still no sound. I might have a defected cable so I'm gonna buy one tomorow just to be on the safe side and continue from there.
More to come ...

Itsik

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 09:19:26 am »
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H

http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2691&ProductName=GA-73PVM-S2H

Looks promising. Can anyone confirm compatibility with 0710? Has anyone used this as a Media Director or Core?

We have not tested that board yet... but I can't see anything in the spec that should cause any problems at all. Looks a very nice board iindeed I agree :-)
Andy Herron,
Convergent Home Technologies Ltd
United Kingdom

Read My Blog; http://ellipticalcurve.com

Contact me for Smart Home consulting advice here;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+consulting@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get a Dianemo S License: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=8880.0
iOS Orbiter: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Dianemo_iOS_Orbiter
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

Sales & Info:
http://www.dianemo.co.uk

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 06:21:26 pm »
That rocks.  I was having problems with the audio as well.  I will try beta 4 to see if the drivers are included else I will try downloading the Realtek Drivers.  One should note that my motherboard has a small typo it does not have an onboard Gigabit NIC. It is only 10/100.  I am currently involved with Fry's Marketing and Gigabit for selling products with the wrong specs on the packaging and in-store.

Well, I finally got to tinkering with this board and here's the first part of the report as promised...

I loaded it up with 2 gigs of ram and a Pentium Core2Duo 6550, a LG SATA dvd/rw and a WD 160 gb HDD,  and decided to make a core/hybrid out of it.
0710B3 dvd install went smooth with special issues untill the AVwizard froze on the DTS test. I hit Ctrl+alt+F2 to try and unmute the spdif out, enter "alsamixer" and it's not there. I try to see what sound card I have just to discover the NO sound card was detected at all.
A quick google search tells me 2 things. What I have is a Realtek ALC889A HD Audio chipset and this thing has problems under windows as well.
A little more digging and I find that Realtek have released a set of linux drivers for this chipset. So I downloaded the driver and installed it, and now everything's working fine, including the AVwizard which does not freeze altough there's still no sound. I unmuted the spdif in alsamixer but still no sound. I might have a defected cable so I'm gonna buy one tomorow just to be on the safe side and continue from there.
More to come ...

Itsik

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 09:13:09 pm »
A quick update (and nt a very good one unfortunately ...)

So far nothing, and I mean NOTHING has been able to convince the onboard sound to work.
I've been working on it for 3 days now, tried anything I could find on the net, Realtek Drivers, Alsa 1.0.16 and anything else I could think of.
For the system the on board sound simply does not exist.
This is getting really annoying now... :(
God I hope B4 has had something done to it's sound drivers other wise I'm just about ready to give up...

Itsik

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 03:37:05 am »
Check out

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4298894&postcount=24

I think that it's working for me but I'm having sata reset probs now

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 Digital [ALC662 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

So far nothing, and I mean NOTHING has been able to convince the onboard sound to work.
I've been working on it for 3 days now, tried anything I could find on the net, Realtek Drivers, Alsa 1.0.16 and anything else I could think of.
God I hope B4 has had something done to it's sound drivers other wise I'm just about ready to give up...

Itsik

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:12:57 am »
A couple of quick questions

Did you start out with no playback devices at all after a fresh install (thus no alsa installed as well ...)

Your aplay -l output reads ALC662, while the only time I maneged to get something recognised it was ALC885 (tough it's supposed to be ALC889A ...) so are you strugling with the exact same board ?

What mode is your sata set to in the bios ?

Thnx
Itsik

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 01:06:17 am »
I started out with no playback with 7.10 and 8.04 Beta 4.  It's set to ide, I'm having problem with it set to ahci.

A couple of quick questions

Did you start out with no playback devices at all after a fresh install (thus no alsa installed as well ...)

Your aplay -l output reads ALC662, while the only time I maneged to get something recognised it was ALC885 (tough it's supposed to be ALC889A ...) so are you strugling with the exact same board ?

What mode is your sata set to in the bios ?

Thnx
Itsik

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 07:33:48 am »
I've added a wiki page on this board with a description of what I've done so far and where I'm at.
Hopefully, some one will find this info helpfull or maybe even be able to pickup where I left off.

Itsik

winlessron

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 05:38:54 pm »
I had flip HDMI Audio in the BIOS from AUTO to DISABLED to get the optical out to work.  Very annoying.

Itsik