Author Topic: DVD vs CD Installation  (Read 33776 times)

dan g

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
DVD vs CD Installation
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:49:36 pm »
Cons and pros  ::)

DVD Installation
Pros:
1. reduced time per installation
2. has mixed 64b and 32b diskless images

Cons:
1. erases entire HDD

CD Installation
Pros:
1. doesn't erase entire HDD, let you install Kubuntu an the available free space

Cons:
1. take a huge amount of time
2. doesn't have mixed images for 32b or 64b (if the hybrid is 32b the MD is also 32b even if it has 64b architecture)

skerit

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DVD vs CD Installation
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:56:37 am »
Another DVD pro is that you can *completely* install a system, where when you use the CDs you need to have Kubuntu installed already. (Err, I hope I got that right this time :P)

booster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:35:13 am »
So please remove: 'Boot from this CD to try Kubuntu without affecting your sytem' from the DVD distribution or this problem may happen again:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4051.0

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 07:15:43 pm »
Also,
I don't believe the DVD install will allow you to select - "start with KDE and select MCE if needed" rather than the default "start with MCE & select KDE if needed".

However, you can change this with steps at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Clean_Core

joseph
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 07:34:57 pm by schaferj »

SilkBC

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 07:14:50 am »
Another con for DVD installation: you have no control over how the system is partitioned :-(

-SilkBC

OuZo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:39:40 am »
i like the DVD install... i just wish that fglrx drivers were included...
i added them manually & adjusted the resolution...
LMCE keeps trying to generate screens...
i messed up my xorg.conf :( lucky i have backups...

i installed with a WinFast XP2000 PVR tunner, which was not detected... & a webcam, but im guessing i ether need to add drivers manually or they are not supported

torabian

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 09:38:58 pm »
I have just read this topic and think it is relevant to my problem. I installed using the cd's. I have an amd64 Core and an i386 diskless md. The MD disk install fails almost immediately, I'm now guessing it is due to the stuff detailed in this topic. Can someone tell me what I need for a 32bit diskless MD??

Thanks,

Andrew

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 12:44:22 pm »
I have just read this topic and think it is relevant to my problem. I installed using the cd's. I have an amd64 Core and an i386 diskless md. The MD disk install fails almost immediately, I'm now guessing it is due to the stuff detailed in this topic. Can someone tell me what I need for a 32bit diskless MD??

Thanks,

Andrew
See: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3876.msg22754#msg22754 and possibly: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4261.msg24585#msg24585
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

kid

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 10:49:59 pm »
Hello
How to install Lmce for Msi Media Live.Stoping install " mount: unknow device nvidia_raid_member"!???? ??? ??? ??? ???

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 02:20:45 pm »
Hello
How to install Lmce for Msi Media Live.Stoping install " mount: unknow device nvidia_raid_member"!???? ??? ??? ??? ???
Please do everyone (including yourself) a huge favor and read: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
-- Anonymous

bemficag

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 02:39:23 am »
I'd like to know if the ultimate release (DVD Linuxmce 0710) is already done?

linuxdog

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 01:10:01 pm »
Hi,

I'm new to Linux MCE and I just want to double-check this...if I use the DVD image, my ENTIRE HDD will be erased, or can I just select a particular partition to wipe?

I currently use a PC with Ubuntu and Vista and was hoping to install Linux MCE (Kubuntu), as a third.
It dounds as if I'll need the CD install, but it would be great if someone could confirm that please.
Thanks in advance.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 02:01:43 pm »
Hi,

I'm new to Linux MCE and I just want to double-check this...if I use the DVD image, my ENTIRE HDD will be erased, or can I just select a particular partition to wipe?

I currently use a PC with Ubuntu and Vista and was hoping to install Linux MCE (Kubuntu), as a third.
It dounds as if I'll need the CD install, but it would be great if someone could confirm that please.
Thanks in advance.

Yes, if you do not want to wipe the whole drive you should use the CD installer instead.
-- Anonymous

sdgenxr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 02:39:05 am »
Ok, I was able to install LMCE from the DVD, but find that I would prefer to use only a portion of my HD.  My problem is that the CD does not seem to launch or install anything close to how the wiki states it should.  First, the CD does not self launch from Kubuntu, and I can not right click and install as suggested by the wiki, and lastly I can not get it to launch from the terminal. 

Any ideas?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 03:04:20 am »
When you open the CD what does it have inside? If it is just an .iso file then you haven't burned the CD properly. The .iso is a complete CD image, so you need to burn it as such, not simply write the .iso file onto a cd.