Author Topic: Newbie Question - MythTV vs LinuxMCE  (Read 5277 times)

Iluvatar

• First post!
    • View Profile
Newbie Question - MythTV vs LinuxMCE
« on: January 17, 2008, 06:31:07 am »
I was seriously considering building a Myth TV box until a friend directed me towards Linux MCE. ???

Can someone please direct me to an honest discussion/comparison of these two applications?

Thanks in advance   ;D

MD

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Question - MythTV vs LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 07:16:23 am »
Myth TV is just one application. LMCE includes Myth as just one of dozens of applications. LMCE does MUCH more than TV. If all you want is TV/PVR then go with Myth/Mythbuntu, as LMCE is not the right product for you.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 08:14:53 am »
To be more accurate,

LinuxMCE is based upon PlutoHome. This is a system that was designed to be a "smart home" system, unifying all aspects of lighting, media, climate, security, and telecom functions throughout a house into a single, well-integrated system.

In the media section of things, it not only stores and catalogues your media, it also controls your audio and video gear (TV, Cable Boxes, etc) and manages them. The end result? no more 50,000 remotes on the couch, everything falls under a single control, which can be distributed to many different forms of control throughout the house, each type of control able to access all of the functions inside the house.

This may seem like a lot to process, but the demo video shows a lot of this functionality, and a lot of the functionality is explained on the wiki. Trust me, there's a lot more.

-Thom

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:57:30 pm »
well said thom. you should save that so you can cut and paste for the next guy that asks.  ;)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P