Author Topic: asterisk and sms  (Read 4800 times)

diamondcobra

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
asterisk and sms
« on: January 16, 2008, 05:54:56 pm »
I was wondering if I can send sms messages from my phone to my home number connected asterisk to issue commands or get a reply.  For example, send a command to turn off everything or vice-versa on my way home.  There are a couple work-related things I wanted to do as well, which would be really convenient to do by sms, like I have a mysql query I would like to know the value of, which would be very convient to do if i could send an sms like 'q1' to my home number, have it get the value, and sms me back with it. 

I searched for 'sms' here and didnt see anything like this, so I thought I would just ask before searching asterisk forums elsewhere.

Thanks!

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: asterisk and sms
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:17:58 pm »
I was wondering if I can send sms messages from my phone to my home number connected asterisk to issue commands or get a reply.  For example, send a command to turn off everything or vice-versa on my way home.  There are a couple work-related things I wanted to do as well, which would be really convenient to do by sms, like I have a mysql query I would like to know the value of, which would be very convient to do if i could send an sms like 'q1' to my home number, have it get the value, and sms me back with it. 

I searched for 'sms' here and didnt see anything like this, so I thought I would just ask before searching asterisk forums elsewhere.

To receive SMS, Asterisk needs a GSM card, which includes a GSM SIM like a phone, and includes a GSM phone number. A better way is to use a SMS to email (or other messaging) service, which doesn't target Asterisk itself. Or to use WAP, which LMCE is already set up to support with its mobile Orbiter, or you can use LMCE as a WAP server with your own objects along those lines. Or if your phone has a full webbrowser (HTTP) over an Internet connection, you can just hit pages/CGIs at your LMCE.

diamondcobra

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 03:53:44 pm »
Thanks a lot for the reply.  I guess I was hoping that even if a line wasnt gsm, the data for the sms was still sent to it and asterisk could catch it.  I am doing what you suggested already on my iphone, but I was hoping for something I could use in a meeting or at a traffic light.  I use 46645 (GOOGL) a lot on my phone, and wasnt sure how that worked, or if it was something that asterisk handled.

Thanks for the info!

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 04:20:19 pm »
Thanks a lot for the reply.  I guess I was hoping that even if a line wasnt gsm, the data for the sms was still sent to it and asterisk could catch it.  I am doing what you suggested already on my iphone, but I was hoping for something I could use in a meeting or at a traffic light.  I use 46645 (GOOGL) a lot on my phone, and wasnt sure how that worked, or if it was something that asterisk handled.

Google has a large SMS gateway from the global GSM network to its servers. That's what getting the GSM card for your Asterisk would get you. In fact, there are strong rumors that Google uses Asterisk (or parts of it) for its SMS support.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 04:42:48 pm »

Google has a large SMS gateway from the global GSM network to its servers. That's what getting the GSM card for your Asterisk would get you. In fact, there are strong rumors that Google uses Asterisk (or parts of it) for its SMS support.
no, they use direct IP access to a SMSC. GSM does not scale for that. No Asterisk involved.

For personal use other ways beside a gsm card would be using an analog or ISDN line with proper software installed. As Matthew suggested you should probably assign to some sms2mail service and send DCE messages via procmail.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 05:07:02 pm »
no, they use direct IP access to a SMSC. GSM does not scale for that. No Asterisk involved.

Well, I guess that puts the Google Asterisk rumors to rest (especially if you have a citeable  source for your info ;)).

But that IP connection to a SMSC is their "connection to the GSM network" I mentioned, though not direct over the air as my comment kinda implied.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:21:09 pm »
Well, I guess that puts the Google Asterisk rumors to rest (especially if you have a citeable  source for your info ;)).
i did not say they are not using asterisk at all ;)

Asterisk in combination with SER is a powerful environment for unified communications at a service provider level.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation