Author Topic: Ripping from Jukebox Not Working  (Read 5862 times)

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Ripping from Jukebox Not Working
« on: November 09, 2007, 06:58:36 pm »
I installed LMCE (dedicated/hybrid) on a machine with a Firewire card, as UI1, single room, single user, no TV or other media features - the most minimum config I could. After installation was complete, I plugged my Sony VGP-XL1B changer into the firewire port, and LMCE reported it found a DCERouter device, offered to install it. That was repeated something like 3 or 4 times, though I expected only at most two (drive and changer), and asked me to set it up as a Windows Share. I've loaded a few CDs into the drive, and I want to rip them to harddrive, but LMCE doesn't seem to really recognize/control the jukebox.

When I go to Home... Media... More... Manage Drives... I get a "Disc drives" screen with a "Bedroom" blue bar overlaid with "Rip", "Play" and "Eject" buttons.

Clicking "Play" gives me only:

I cannot play this media. Perhaps there is not a valid device in this entertainment area capable of playing it.

and an "OK" button.
After a few minutes I get a box overlaid in the upper left corner of the screen reporting. Clicking "OK" takes me back to the "Disc drives" screen.

1889 Existing device already enabled
DCERouter
DCERouter
Done with existing fileserver

Clicking "Rip" gives me a screen with a default name to save the media, recommending [CORE #1], the words "unknown disc" above the onscreen keyboard, and offering a button "Save as public", which I just immediately click. That gives me a blue screen with:
There's a problem ripping this media. please check the logs or contact tech support.

and an "OK" button. Clicking it takes me back to the Home screen.

Going back to the "disc drives" screen, clicking "Eject" gives me a screen with:
Closing tray...
and an "OK" button. After about 10 seconds, the screen changes back to the "Disc drives" screen (without my clicking OK).

The jukebox itself doesn't seem to react at all (though the DCERouter message appears on my screen, as I mentioned). Nor does the PC's internal CD-ROM seem to react, like ejecting (in case perhaps I was pointing LMCE at a different CD/DVD device).

Maybe I installed the jukebox wrong. Is there a list of specific instructions for installing the jukebox for just that scenario, ripping its contents to harddrive? If I should reinstall, how do I uninstall the bad configs? And does LMCE even support automated ripping the full contents unattended, as I've seen mentioned in some comments on this website?

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Some Progress
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 09:22:05 pm »
I powercycled the jukebox, and reloaded the LMCE router, then the jukebox showed up in the "Disc drives" Jukeboxes list, with manageable controls that seem to work (so far).

Load Many works. Is there an "unload many", or some other way to unload the whole jukebox (for reload)?

Ripping the single CD seemed to work, as far as the UI reported anyway.

How about "Rip many"? Or do I have to tend the entire jukebox, ripping each one individually? That makes the jukebox function not much better than a single drive.

I'm going to test the ripped file now, and update with whether it really worked.

--------------------------------------

OK, I looked in the directory /home/public/data/audio/"Windows Share Public 38 "/test1 , and it's empty. The rip failed, and what's worse the LMCE UI reported that it worked.

I'm also having problems with the LMCE DHCP server assigning LMCE an IP# that cannot route on my LAN, which maybe caused an operation connecting to the Internet to - silently - fail (like getting CD title info), which could have caused the ripping operation to - silently - fail.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:01:06 pm by Matthew »

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Ripping from Jukebox Not Working
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 05:25:41 am »
After rebooting the LMCE host while fixing some other items (DHCP), the system is now ripping. But I can't find where to specify the rip should produce a WAV, or anything other than the OGG files it's producing.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 07:17:24 am »
After rebooting the LMCE host while fixing some other items (DHCP), the system is now ripping. But I can't find where to specify the rip should produce a WAV, or anything other than the OGG files it's producing.
Is a bug I reported some time ago. It may have been fixed but not propagated yet. The settings for ripping audio are in the wizard-basic-installation page of the admin panel. This bug only applies to the changer. The multiple restart seems to be necessary.
You can rip some or all of the disks, there should be a section on the side listing options for all. Its pretty picky and dirty disks will get rejected.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 05:59:40 pm »
I got it (rip format settings) - and updated the "ripping" wiki entry. Thanks for the multiple replies in different threads to the same question :).

Now, how do I delete the test rips from the media collection? Other than use the commandline to tell Linux to delete the directories and then running a filesystem/catalog sync (from commandline script or GUI)? Is there a GUI feature to delete content? If not, how can I add one (which executable file and GUI "button" image)?

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 06:15:14 pm »
Two options-
The content navigator has a delete button but thats slow for a lot of files, Or you can access them from the KDE desktop. But permissions may be a pain.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 08:09:27 pm »
Do you know which files generate the Orbiter GUI that shows a CD that's available for playing, and the Admin website script (if it's not just handled by index.php) that shows the media browser?

In the Admin website, even the Media Browser view is really hard to read. The Properties page for albums and titles are even harder to read and sort out. And as you warned, the Delete link for those media objects failed with
Permission denied in /var/www/pluto-admin/operations/mediaBrowser/mainMediaBrowser.php on line 106

I'd like to fix that, but I have to find which file to fix. And hook up albums' delete links to delete and resync. Unless I find they're already fixed in the latest builds.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 08:39:57 pm »
I know the permissions issues is caught up with LMCE running as root and fixing that is a big issue to sort out. Its probably high on the 7.10 release due in a few weeks.

As for the rest I'm clueless. My fix was to manually change the permissions but I'm way out of my depth with even that command. Linux docs expect a lot of prior knowledge, which I'm reluctant to get for each little tweak. By hard to read do you mean cryptic or graphically bad?

Hopefully others with more knowledge than I have will help here.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Rip Settings Not Working
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 06:19:19 am »
Turns out that setting the rip format in the Admin website Home -> Wizard -> Installation page Miscellaneous section "Ripping format for cd's" does not actually change the ripping format. The setting saves as a config value properly, but ripping continues to produce Ogg format files. I reloaded the core, and rebooted the LMCE server, but no change. Bug 3495
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:25:39 am by Matthew »

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 06:27:36 am »
Two options-
The content navigator has a delete button but thats slow for a lot of files, Or you can access them from the KDE desktop. But permissions may be a pain.
To get around permissions
Run konqueror as root

Select run command from kmenu
type in konqueor and set options to run as root

I use this with kate to edit files as well.

Turns out that setting the rip format in the Admin website Home -> Wizard -> Installation page Miscellaneous section "Ripping format for cd's" does not actually change the ripping format. The setting saves as a config value properly, but ripping continues to produce Ogg format files. I reloaded the core, and rebooted the LMCE server, but no change. Bug 3495

Funny I set mine to flac and have no problems

What format are you trying to use?

Tim

My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 09:22:17 am »
The problem is only with the Sony/Powerfile changer script. The normal DVD/CD drive script works fine. The Sony script has to work through some challenges with the drives. I have a Powerfile dual drive version and got some help from Pluto a while back. It seems it isn't too reliable in its operation, with many timeouts. The script has some workarounds for that as well.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 05:00:43 pm »
The format encoding has nothing to do with the drive, which is just instructed with a DAE command to deliver back data to cdparanoia or abcde that those programs convert to a specified format. I'm using a Sony VGP-XL1B jukebox, which behaves differently when the Orbiter is used to start either a "rip all", which is badly broken in its format conversion, or rip a single disc, which is still pretty broken, but can be whacked around to rip to FLAC. I detailed my fairly thorough investigation of the bugs in this subsystem in a post in "Specifying CD Rip Format?". So the drive can rip properly when called by the better script (even though that script still has bugs in using the format settings.

Do you know which are the two different scripts called by the single disc and the rip all GUIs, and which actual executable calls each of them? Really the two code paths from GUI to data storage would be best to have.

jeffr76

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fissato Hosting
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 03:18:40 am »
Hello i am also having the same problem with my new XL1B Any news on this ???
Core/hybrid
ASUS M2NPV-VM AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5200DOBOX
n

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 07:47:05 am »
I am still having trouble tracing the codepath through the assignment of the ripping target format:
"3495: DVD Changer rips CDs only with OGG"

ripDiskWrapper.sh is called with the target format on its commandline by Disk_Drive_Functions/RipTask.cpp:RipTask::Run() . Which gets its format argument when constructed by Disk_Drive_Functions/RipJob.cpp:RipJob::AddRippingTasks() , called by Disk_Drive_Functions/RipJob.cpp:RipJob::ReadyToRun() . The RipJob is constructed with its format by Disk_Drive/Disk_Drive.cpp:Disk_Drive::CMD_Rip_Disk() and by Powerfile_C200/Powerfile_C200.cpp in Powerfile_C200::CMD_Rip_Disk() and in Powerfile_C200::CMD_Bulk_Rip() . But I can't see where CMD_Bulk_Rip() is ever called. Media_Plugin/Media_Plugin.cpp:CMD_Rip_Disk() seems to use CMD_Rip_Disk to call cmdRipDisk() with a format that's been processed against the database (and a default of "flac" if the format parameter is empty) with DATA_Get_Type(). But I don't see where DATA_Get_Type() is defined, to check whether it's getting the type correctly from the Device_DeviceData table. And I don't see where Media_Plugin::CMD_Rip_Disk() is called with a format.