Author Topic: Digital TV signal in and out?  (Read 9654 times)

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Digital TV signal in and out?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 08:32:25 pm »
huh....i didnt realize that it only did ATSC. you could always use a splitter (you may want something to amplify the signal if its being split) and use both an hd home run and the 150. the 150 would give you the analog (NTSC) you want and the home run will give you the digital (ATSC). using the hd home run would not require another card if all you wanted was the ATSC format of over the air signals.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

jgaffney

• Douchebag
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 08:41:24 pm »
Thanx for all the help guys,  I think I got it straightened out.

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a WinTV-HVR 1600 tonight at a local store, if I can't get that to fly it looks like it's hdhomerun. 
This is getting expensive  :o

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 08:54:56 pm »
Not quite sure if I understand that.  I'm expecting the digital signal going into the TV card to be a digital signal coming out of the video cards DVI output.  Or at least I hope so.

I'm currently only getting analog TV out using VGA, but that would make sense.

You have an aerial feed that carries both analog & digital transmissions. If you hook up the aerial to your 150 card you will send the analog signal to that cards analog tuner (as thats all it has)... what comes out of you video cards DVI connector is a digital or analog video signal... it might be a TV program or whatever you have chose to display on the screen ie a DVD or the KDE desktop. To get digital TV from your aerial feed you need a Digital TV card in your Core that has a digital TV tuner in it that is suitable for North American digital transmissions.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

shortydigital

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 09:08:53 pm »
the hdhomerun is equivilant to a tv card, yes you are correct, no need for an additional card inless you want analog. The ideal here is to have all your channels weater analoge or dgital are both go through the LMCE and not have to switch the inputs on you tv and be able to record or rewind any thing that you watch.

shortydigital

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 09:09:52 pm »
the hdhomerun is equivilant to a tv card, yes you are correct, no need for an additional card inless you want analog. The ideal here is to have all your channels weater analoge or dgital are both go through the LMCE and not have to switch the inputs on you tv and be able to record or rewind any thing that you watch.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 10:32:58 pm »
You will have a much more reliable setup if you use a PVR-150/250/500/USB2 for analogue, and an HDHomeRun for HD. Trust me on this, I've been through it. If you skimp here, you will experience loads of pain.

-Thom