Author Topic: UI3 Discussion  (Read 50821 times)

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: UI3 Discussion
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2008, 06:44:52 pm »
I never heard of Clutter before now, but it does at the very least look like a step in the right direction.

Still I would like to the the meeting minutes so I know the direction that we are heading...

From what I understand the options are to use and build upon GNash, use and build upon another OSS project (Clutter would be in this category), or just start from scratch. From my understanding GNash is a no go and this would likely have to be started from scratch to deal with licensing.

Look lets get this straight... GNASH is not a no go in any way at all. You just have to look at the range, sophistication breadth of UI's being delivered as 'Flash' applications now to realise this. In UI3 the plan is to use the GNASH runtime engine to provide the runtime engine.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2008, 08:45:57 pm »
I never heard of Clutter before now, but it does at the very least look like a step in the right direction.

Still I would like to the the meeting minutes so I know the direction that we are heading...

From what I understand the options are to use and build upon GNash, use and build upon another OSS project (Clutter would be in this category), or just start from scratch. From my understanding GNash is a no go and this would likely have to be started from scratch to deal with licensing.

Look lets get this straight... GNASH is not a no go in any way at all. You just have to look at the range, sophistication breadth of UI's being delivered as 'Flash' applications now to realise this. In UI3 the plan is to use the GNASH runtime engine to provide the runtime engine.

Has the UI3 discussion gone any further than the UI3 conference 3 weeks ago? Because I see no public sign that it has.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 09:41:43 am »
Hi.

don't know much about GUIs, but have spotted this news. Maybe it can be of some relevance :

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/global/mediaportal_ii_gets_opensource_xaml_skinengine.html

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 07:24:40 pm »
don't know much about GUIs, but have spotted this news. Maybe it can be of some relevance :

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/global/mediaportal_ii_gets_opensource_xaml_skinengine.html

It looks like yet another GUI system from Microsoft. But it isn't even compatible with other Windows systems, including the ones that are HW accelerated. And its independent video player component is said to suck. Plus it will run only on Windows. Sounds like DOA to me.

But it is interesting news in the Windows world, even if not to LinuxMCE. Because it's an open source GUI toolkit from MS that will compete with their proprietary toolkits. Which might be why it's got so many problems. "Defective by design", perhaps?

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2008, 12:38:18 am »

It looks like yet another GUI system from Microsoft. But it isn't even compatible with other Windows systems, including the ones that are HW accelerated. And its independent video player component is said to suck. Plus it will run only on Windows. Sounds like DOA to me.

But it is interesting news in the Windows world, even if not to LinuxMCE. Because it's an open source GUI toolkit from MS that will compete with their proprietary toolkits. Which might be why it's got so many problems. "Defective by design", perhaps?
Not sure if I understood it right, but guy has written (and still is developing) open source variant that I guess will be much better over time than Microsoft's proprietary solution. Guys from Media Portal are doing great job, they are also renewing GUIs... MAybe something can come up from both efforts...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

jester

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 12:47:41 pm »
Not really my field, but: Mozilla Prism? (The open source opponent of: Adobe Air / Microsoft Silverlight)

shivizard

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2008, 05:07:52 am »
Hi All, How come this UI3 route is moving so very slowly - if not moving at all. I am checking this thread everyday to see some action. Can we have the tasks organized and responsibilities assigned - Lets stick to one solution and move ahead.

shivizard

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2008, 05:40:34 am »
Is this Thread Abandoned? UI3 - Mission Abandoned?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 06:32:43 am »
We are very busy trying to get the 0710 release done.

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 06:34:37 am »
Thom - does that mean it isn't going to RC first after all? Straight to final release?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2008, 06:36:53 am »
Daniel will annouce the RC very soon now, he is attempting a build this evening.

-Thom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2008, 06:40:54 am »
I notice there are those of you, who seem a bit antsy about wanting UI3....

I also notice that these people haven't even used Designer, to do any work in UI1, or UI2....

and yet these people want to discuss future plans for an interface without taking what we already have into account?

sounds pretty silly to me.... why weren't you at the Designer conference?

Why haven't any of you downloaded Designer to use it?

If you want something to do, Do that!

Then maybe you might be in a position to better discuss future user interface improvements.

-Thom

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2008, 06:44:26 am »
Thom,

I whole heartedly agree.  The UI2 layout is very well laid out.  I would think a understanding of how to use UI2 is indeed a requirement to start brainstorming about UI3

My thoughts,

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

wsuetholz

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2008, 08:18:14 pm »
Hello,
  Most of the newer fancy interfaces I've been seeing are using python, and GStreamer for the media playback.

The Elisa media center is using python with a Fluendo built render..  Entertainer is using Python with Clutter, and Gloss http://code.google.com/p/gloss-mc/ is a new MythTV frontend coded in Python using Clutter.  All three of the above are using GStreamer.  Gloss in particular looks fairly interesting.

Does the DCERouter have any python bindings?

On another note:  The documentation can be fairly vague about how the various pieces of LinuxMCE interact.  Is there a guide that would assist people with understanding the UI interactions?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 08:28:01 pm »
Hello,
  Most of the newer fancy interfaces I've been seeing are using python, and GStreamer for the media playback.

The Elisa media center is using python with a Fluendo built render..  Entertainer is using Python with Clutter, and Gloss http://code.google.com/p/gloss-mc/ is a new MythTV frontend coded in Python using Clutter.  All three of the above are using GStreamer.  Gloss in particular looks fairly interesting.

Does the DCERouter have any python bindings?

On another note:  The documentation can be fairly vague about how the various pieces of LinuxMCE interact.  Is there a guide that would assist people with understanding the UI interactions?

I would suggest....again... (people don't seem to listen when I suggest things.)... to start with HADesigner. My HADesigner screencasts in the Developers forum here: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=5059.0

This will let you know how the UI interacts with the system below, as I go through every square inch of designing UIs for my MAME media type FOR ALL the UI targets.

Designer and Orbiter work hand in hands. Questions in Designer are often answered by looking at Orbiter's source code....

and, AGAIN....

it is NOT a good idea to generally say, "we should do this and this, well why can't we?" before learning and understanding the underlying system, as there is a specific reason that Orbiter was designed the way it was, (the ability to handle multiple UI targets sanely).

-Thom