Author Topic: LMCE as DNS Server?  (Read 12677 times)

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: LMCE as DNS Server?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 03:15:31 am »
That's really strange because the file resolv.conf is not found on the system. Edit: I miss-spoke on that, I did find it.
Also from the wiki..
Also create a new resolve.conf file:
Code: [Select]
sudo touch /etc/resolv.conf.newWhy would we use resolv.conf.new instead of resolve.conf.new ?
You will be creating or editing the following config files in these new directories
/etc/bind.new/named.conf
 /etc/bind.new/named.conf.options
 /etc/bind.new/logging.conf
 /etc/bind.new/rndc.conf
 /etc/bind.new/rndc.key
 /etc/bind.new/db.wright.local.zone
 /etc/bind.new/db.wright.local.rev
 /etc/dhcp3.new/dhcpd.conf
 /etc/resolv.conf.new
At least here it's consistent.
Change all the file permissions per instructions in named.conf:
File permissions:
 //    /etc/bind/named.conf   root:root   644
 //    /etc/bind/rndc.key     root:bind   640
 //    /etc/bind/rndc.conf    root:root   600
 //    /etc/resolv.conf       root:root   644
 //    /etc/bind              root:bind   775, chmod g+s => drwxrwsr-x
 //    /etc/dhcp3             root:root   755
 //    /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf  root:root   644
 //
The same here still consistent.

Then here is where it all changes.
When and if you are feeling lucky, rename the original directories and then rename the new directories to take their place:
sudo mv /etc/bind /etc/bind.original
 sudo mv /etc/bind.new /etc/bind
 sudo mv /etc/dhcp3 /etc/dhcp3.original
 sudo mv /etc/dhcp3.new /etc/dhcp3
 sudo mv /etc/resolve.conf /etc/resolve.conf.original
 sudo mv /etc/resolve.conf.new /etc/resolve.conf

In that last bit of code at the bottom you have resolve.conf.new when you were using resolv.conf.new before.
But earlier we didn't name it resolve.conf.new we named it resolv.conf.new

I would be glad to change it but....
Posted by: tux-box1
Insert Quote
Uh, I was not aware that I had permission to do that!

This action has been automatically identified as harmful, and therefore disallowed. If you believe your edit was constructive, please contact an administrator, and inform them of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: Link spamming 2
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 03:20:53 am by tux-box1 »

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 03:26:10 am »
I cannot tell you "why" about anything in Linux. I would blame this on shoddy English, which, fortunately for me, is the language most things are written in. I swear to God if the Chinese or anyone else wanted to hose us, they would rewrite the OS in their language... to DEAL with mine... and I would be fookin lost.

I can only tell you "what".
I never quit... I just ping out.

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 10:07:52 pm »
I was able to fix my error by adding that e to the end of resolv.conf so I believe that is the issue. Is it possible for some one with more permission than I to edit the wiki, so that it is at least consistent?
The error was simply missing the e at the end of resolv.conf I don't know how else to explain it.
Thanks tho.

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 12:26:08 am »
Wheather that file should have a e or not have a e isn't much of an issue. The issue here is the inconstancy. For the benefit of those who are unfamiliar with parsing code or copy paste monkeys. I feel that the wiki should use the same version of the file name in every case. 

When I did go in and try to make the wiki consistent. I received the following error.

This action has been automatically identified as harmful, and therefore disallowed. If you believe your edit was constructive, please contact an administrator, and inform them of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: Link spamming 2

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 01:20:27 am »
reslov.conf is not a LinuxMCE thing... it is a linux thing.

At no point should anything ever need a resolve.conf

I will look at the issue in detail, and fix whatever is wrong, including the wiki. Thank you for your help. I will update this thread when it is done with a ticket and resolution. I am very sick today... so look for it over the next couple of days.

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 04:05:21 am »
Speaking as a *nix sysadmin who works on many Linux variants, plus Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX, I can tell you for a fact that a system's local DNS config file is /etc/resolv.conf (without an ending 'e').

If you want to find out what's supposed to be in that file as far as config options go, try 'man resolv.conf' from the command line.  You can use the 'nslookup' command to test your DNS config (man nslookup to see how to use it).

HTH!

/Mike

tux-box1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 04:05:06 am »
I did figure out that it is resolv with out a e for the proper way the file is to be named. This is not the issue that I'm trying to address.
I'm trying to be clear, but for what ever reason something is being lost in the message.

The Wiki has "resolve.conf" that's resolv with the e, not with out the e as it needs to be. I have tried to edit the wiki as suggested.

Posted by: posde
Insert Quote
Quote from: tux-box1 on 11 August 2012, 13:21:10
First I would like to make mention that their are some typing errors in the wiki.

So? FIX THEM!

but have received the following error.
Would some one who has higher editing permissions please edit the following places in the wiki.

Under installation.
Also create a new resolve.conf file:
Needs to read
Also create a new resolv.conf file:

Under wrapping up
sudo mv /etc/resolve.conf /etc/resolve.conf.original
sudo mv /etc/resolve.conf.new /etc/resolve.conf
Should read
sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.original
sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf.new /etc/resolv.conf
The only thing that has changed is the removing of the e in resolve.conf to make it resolv.conf

Every thing else is fine.

Edit: I was able to make the edits to the wiki needed. It all reads the same with "resolv.conf"
thank you for your patience.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:01:33 am by tux-box1 »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 05:23:41 am »
I was able to fix my error by adding that e to the end of resolv.conf so I believe that is the issue. Is it possible for some one with more permission than I to edit the wiki, so that it is at least consistent?
The error was simply missing the e at the end of resolv.conf I don't know how else to explain it.
Thanks tho.

This was what confused me. The wiki was a secondary concern to me if there was some CODE looking for a file that should not exist.

Thank you for fixing the errant wiki.