Author Topic: HELP! How do I add a media director for diskless boot?  (Read 7496 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! How do I add a media director for diskless boot?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 01:03:13 am »
Any layer 2 hardware allows net boot - hub or switch. Its just an ethernet broadcast the first time. (Direct for renewals) actually you can't stop it on a hub, potentially you could filter out the packets with a manageable switch ... So you are fine there.

Definetly the Dell should be able to net boot. Strange thing is, if it has the option as F12, then not only should it work, but it should appear in your boot sequence in BIOS. You may have to "enable" it in the boot saequence before it appears. BTW it will be described as PXE, not network boot, in the BIOS.

Also, look at your core's DHCP config - remove any leases that are there already for that PC by MAC address and try again...

jo006

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 02:32:33 am »
Hipper,

Here is some information I found at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx50/ena/ug/advfeat.htm#1110703
I do not know if this will help or not but it looks like there could be an option under Integrated Devices in the Bios that will allow you PXE boot using the option "On w/ MBA".

Network Interface Controller determines whether the integrated network adapter is On, Off, or On w/ MBA. The default is On. If you select On w/ MBA, you are prompted to press <Ctrl><Alt><b> at the Dell logo screen during computer boot. A menu then appears that allows you to select PXE, RPL, BootP, or NetWare as the active boot mode.

Good luck

Justin

Hipper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 05:54:42 am »
Juston,
For that last post alone your account should be set
to guru ;)
The perf setting worked im waiting for the
net boot now. Thanks for the help, how did you find
the info ? Google ? What was the search string just
so i know? Dont worrie ill add a wiki for the net boot
and hardware after i test it.
Thanks so much for your help!