Author Topic: Help with serial ports (GC100 and standard)  (Read 3552 times)

shenandoah75

• View Profile
Help with serial ports (GC100 and standard)
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:29:57 pm »
I am progressing in my installation.  I have a hybrid installed and running including an nvidia 8600gts with overlay which is slick.  I have my GC100 installed (thx to the mac address hack).  I have the GC100-18 (2 serial ports / 6 IRs).  IR comm seems to work fine and the LEDs flicker when i send IR commands.

However, i don't seem able to get any serial port connectivity from MCE test interface nor from a shell.
  echo -en "PWR01\r" >> /dev/ttyS_34_0

(fyi: I know this isn't the correct onkyo syntax, i'm getting around the shells interpretation of the "!" to see if the port is sending data.)

However if i move to the comm port on the PC, i get some better luck.
  echo -en "PWR01\r" >> /dev/ttyS0

correctly transmits with a null term adapter... (i've tried the GC with and w/o)

So problem seems two-fold...
  1) the bridge for the gc100 serial ports doesn't work at MCE interface nor at command line
  2) even though i can dump to the onboard serial port, when attaching my onkyo to that port, i still get nothing when commands are sent in test mode from MCE.

Some other minor clarifications on the GC100...
3) on the interface registry, what is the meaning of "comm port on the pc"  i assume this is the bridged device (34_0 for port 1), but since i have two ports, how is that handled?  or is this not important.
4) i tried specifying a port number on the device being controlled, bu IR commands send to that device flicker down all 6 ports.  I need the ability to segregate my rooms by port to two xantech distribution block (as i have same MFG/models of some AV gear on both)...

thx in advance for any tips you can offer...

shenandoah75

• View Profile
Re: Help with serial ports (GC100 and standard)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:24:06 pm »
btw - i did try this.. but a diff on old and new shows no change and no usage of the text "false" in my bridge file...  both echo and icanon are set to 0 which is where i assume the violation would have been?

shenandoah75

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:27:51 pm »
Any takers?

Last night i used the GC scan utility to verify that i could send commands to the serial ports and received them on the other end in a terminal session on my PC (w/ null term adaptor).  But for the life of me i don't seem able to get standard comm to transmit from MCE nor the bridge to work (within the MCE interface or from shell)

thx in advance
-brad

PeteK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 05:51:01 pm »
I'm assuming by the fact that you used the scan utility, you've got a GC100 with firmware 3.0?

shenandoah75

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:30:52 pm »
Nope - in fact i just got an RMA with them to get it upgraded  (some of the gcscan features work with my revison 2.4 but not all)

is 3.0 required for LinucMCE?   I read posts about how firefox hung on saving changes, etc...  but i wouldn't think that would cause the main serial comm to breakdown.

I can certainly send it in ASAP and retest when i get it back...