Author Topic: 0710b2 Build Errors  (Read 23726 times)

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: 0710b2 Build Errors
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 04:19:05 pm »
Code: [Select]
matt@lmce:/opt/linuxmce/src$ cd pluto-lmce-branch/
matt@lmce:/opt/linuxmce/src/pluto-lmce-branch$ svn co http://svn.charonmedia.com/trac.cgi/browser/vendor/pluto-lmce-branch
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/trac.cgi/browser/vendor/pluto-lmce-branch'
svn: PROPFIND of '/trac.cgi/browser/vendor/pluto-lmce-branch': 200 Ok (http://svn.charonmedia.com)
try http://svn.charonmedia.com/svn/vendor/pluto-lmce-branch

That's more like it :).

Does the 0710b2 I installed from the DVD include a MySQL instance with the build database loaded? If not,
no
where do I get a copy of the 0710b2 build database, and install it in its own DB under the existing 0704? I suppose not from the SVN root/vendor/pluto-lmce-branch/db_dumps/pluto_[main_build,media,security,telecom].sql , which are each 3 months old (and which fail to co just as the whole branch fails).
I'm not aware of any newer public dumps.

So do I just drop the existing lmce DB, and run the SVN dumps SQL against the LMCE DB?

And does all that SVN code also depend on being installed on a running 0710 installation, or is everything necessary for build and run included in that branch?
it should work on 0704 and on 0710b2 with patches. Watch your libraries on 0704, they are incompatible with the ones compiled from svn. But it's not hard to compile it on any other platform. Few dependencies.

I'm not using 0704 at all, just 0710b2.

So I should track down the patches DanielK sent to the dev list, apply those after the SVN co is complete, then drop the old DB and run the dumps' SQL. All on a server that's already got 0710b2 installed from the DVD. Right?

And now the mystery is how to actually build the source. I've got it co'ed into /opt/lmce/src/pluto-lmce-branch/ . There's a Makefile in its src/ subdirectory, but (make) or (make all) fails quickly with nothing but errors like
mkdir -p bin lib 2>/dev/null
for i in DCE PlutoUtils SerializeClass BD VIPShared FakeEPG; do make -C $i || exit $?; done
make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/lmce/src/pluto-lmce-branch/src/DCE'
Computing dependencies for ../db_wrapper/Socket.cpp/bin/sh: -mkr_t_compile_defines-: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: line 1: ../db_wrapper/Socket.d.19832: No such file or directory
 done
Where are these other depended files supposed to come from? There's a configure and a Makefile in pluto-lmce-branch/src/mce-installer , which configures OK but fails with
StepUbuntuExtraCD.o: In function `on_StepUbuntuExtraCD_forward_clicked':
/opt/lmce/src/pluto-lmce-branch/src/mce-installer/src/StepUbuntuExtraCD.c:34: undefined reference to `displayStepUbuntuLiveCD'
and seems to be a build scoped to only the installer CD anyway.

What's the formulat for actually building this thing?

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 05:11:09 pm »
And now the mystery is how to actually build the source. I've got it co'ed into /opt/lmce/src/pluto-lmce-branch/ . There's a Makefile in its src/ subdirectory, but (make) or (make all) fails quickly with nothing but errors like
mkdir -p bin lib 2>/dev/null
for i in DCE PlutoUtils SerializeClass BD VIPShared FakeEPG; do make -C $i || exit $?; done
make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/lmce/src/pluto-lmce-branch/src/DCE'
Computing dependencies for ../db_wrapper/Socket.cpp/bin/sh: -mkr_t_compile_defines-: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: line 1: ../db_wrapper/Socket.d.19832: No such file or directory
 done
Where are these other depended files supposed to come from? There's a configure and a Makefile in pluto-lmce-branch/src/mce-installer , which configures OK but fails with
StepUbuntuExtraCD.o: In function `on_StepUbuntuExtraCD_forward_clicked':
/opt/lmce/src/pluto-lmce-branch/src/mce-installer/src/StepUbuntuExtraCD.c:34: undefined reference to `displayStepUbuntuLiveCD'
and seems to be a build scoped to only the installer CD anyway.

What's the formulat for actually building this thing?

Bumping because I still can't build from source. It shouldn't be this hard to find instructions for building source to test it. When I've got the instructions and post them on the wiki, it won't be hard to find anymore. But first I've got to get them myself. Then more people can help with the new 0710b3 (and future versions).

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 07:45:12 pm »
Looks like there is an issue with not replaced the  -mkr_t_compile_defines- tags by proper compile definitions. Don't know why - probably instructions are outdated. Do you need to build some specific binary or the full tree? If former, I would suggest you to do some manual hacks, using already built libraries (looks like there is kind of circular build dependency as far as I can see).

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 07:58:05 pm »
Looks like there is an issue with not replaced the  -mkr_t_compile_defines- tags by proper compile definitions. Don't know why - probably instructions are outdated. Do you need to build some specific binary or the full tree? If former, I would suggest you to do some manual hacks, using already built libraries (looks like there is kind of circular build dependency as far as I can see).

The problem is that there isn't a configure/Makefile in that branch. That branch is the 0710b3. The trunk configure/Makefile don't build the pluto-lmce branch.

There are no "instructions" for doing this, except what I'm piecing together in this thread (and basic SVN and make techniques). But some people here are doing it, so I hope they reveal the secret spells sometime soon. Then I can post actual instructions for everyone.

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 08:02:35 pm »
Those are replaced by MakeRelease_Prep, you need to run that on the sources before you try to compile it.

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 08:06:49 pm »

The problem is that there isn't a configure/Makefile in that branch. That branch is the 0710b3. The trunk configure/Makefile don't build the pluto-lmce branch.

There are no "instructions" for doing this, except what I'm piecing together in this thread (and basic SVN and make techniques). But some people here are doing it, so I hope they reveal the secret spells sometime soon. Then I can post actual instructions for everyone.

You didn't answer my question: are you trying to build everything from sources and create the full CD/DVD or just want to build some specific binary? For the specific application you basically need
1) copy libraries from the existing installation to src/lib
2) build src/MakeRelease_PrepFiles tool
3) run MakeRelease_PrepFiles tool with certain config file against some binary src folder to make it adopt the code (exclude some not-required blocks), replace tags with values (like issue with Makefile you have - -mkr_t_compile_defines )
4) do make in that binary source folder

Building the full DVD is more complex process and I don't know the full details of it.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 08:39:55 pm »

You didn't answer my question: are you trying to build everything from sources and create the full CD/DVD or just want to build some specific binary? For the specific application you basically need
1) copy libraries from the existing installation to src/lib
2) build src/MakeRelease_PrepFiles tool
3) run MakeRelease_PrepFiles tool with certain config file against some binary src folder to make it adopt the code (exclude some not-required blocks), replace tags with values (like issue with Makefile you have - -mkr_t_compile_defines )
4) do make in that binary source folder

Building the full DVD is more complex process and I don't know the full details of it.

I thought I had answered that question in the other messages I posted in this thread.

I am trying to build the complete 0710b2 from its SVN sources. Which is approximately the 0710b2 DVD, but including the changes in SVN that are more recent than the 0710b2 DVD release date. Though I suppose for the moment I could get started with just the Disk_Drive , Disk_Drive_Functions , Powerfile_C200 , and Generic_Serial_Device components, which are where I have actual outstanding tasks to complete. But if getting that set up is about as much work (or takes as long) as just getting the complete build instructions, I'm better off with the complete build instructions. Also, since I want to post the complete build instructions so we can have more people building and testing (and maybe fixing), that is another benefit I'm looking for.

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 11:18:02 pm »
I thought I had answered that question in the other messages I posted in this thread.
Sorry, probably I have missed it while quickly looking into this thread history.

OK, as I don't have installed 0710b2 anymore and I don't know the full DVD build process, the closest approximation I can help with is how to build these applications (and probably most of the other ones) on the existing 0710b3 installation (or just Kubuntu 0710 with access to libs from the /usr/pluto/lib). I assume you already have the toolchain and required extra dev libs installs (if not, it should be easy to see where it fails and install that extra stuff).

#create dir and checkout sources
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources$ mkdir pluto; cd pluto
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto$ svn co http://svn.linuxmce.com/pluto/trunk/src

#copy libs from existing installation
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto$ cp /usr/pluto/lib/* src/lib/

#build helper tool
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src$ cd MakeRelease_PrepFiles/
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/MakeRelease_PrepFiles$ make

#prepare config and run helper tool
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/MakeRelease_PrepFiles$ cd ../bin

linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ echo "compile_defines=-DKDE_LMCE -DDEBUG -DTHREAD_LOG -DLOG_ALL_QUERIES -I/opt/libxine1-pluto/include -I/opt/linphone-1.3.5/include" >> ../tool.conf
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ echo "compile_libs=-L/opt/libxine1-pluto/lib -L/opt/linphone-1.3.5/lib" >> ../tool.conf
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ echo "blocks=ubuntu,videowizard" >> ../tool.conf

linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ ./MakeRelease_PrepFiles -p ../ -e "*.cpp,*.h,Makefile*,*.php,*.sh,*.pl,*.awk" -c ../tool.conf

#build apps itself
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ cd ../Disk_Drive/
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ make bin

linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Disk_Drive$ cd ../Disk_Drive_Functions/
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Disk_Drive_Functions$ make

linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Disk_Drive_Functions$ cd ../Powerfile_C200
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Powerfile_C200$ make bin

linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Powerfile_C200$ cd ../Generic_Serial_Device
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Generic_Serial_Device$ make bin

The only non-obvious step here is usage of the use of MakeRelease_PrepFiles tool - as I said, it replaces tags with the predefined values (here from tool.conf) plus cuts out blocks not listed in "blocks=..." section of tool.conf. There are actually some extra tags (and you will probably see warning messages when it fails to replace them) but these three should be enough for start. Please write here if you have more questions.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 11:30:58 pm »
Sorry, probably I have missed it while quickly looking into this thread history.

Thanks for helping out.

OK, as I don't have installed 0710b2 anymore and I don't know the full DVD build process, the closest approximation I can help with is how to build these applications (and probably most of the other ones) on the existing 0710b3 installation (or just Kubuntu 0710 with access to libs from the /usr/pluto/lib). I assume you already have the toolchain and required extra dev libs installs (if not, it should be easy to see where it fails and install that extra stuff).

#create dir and checkout sources
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources$ mkdir pluto; cd pluto
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto$ svn co http://svn.linuxmce.com/pluto/trunk/src

#copy libs from existing installation
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto$ cp /usr/pluto/lib/* src/lib/

#build helper tool
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src$ cd MakeRelease_PrepFiles/
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/MakeRelease_PrepFiles$ make

#prepare config and run helper tool
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/MakeRelease_PrepFiles$ cd ../bin

linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ echo "compile_defines=-DKDE_LMCE -DDEBUG -DTHREAD_LOG -DLOG_ALL_QUERIES -I/opt/libxine1-pluto/include -I/opt/linphone-1.3.5/include" >> ../tool.conf
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ echo "compile_libs=-L/opt/libxine1-pluto/lib -L/opt/linphone-1.3.5/lib" >> ../tool.conf
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ echo "blocks=ubuntu,videowizard" >> ../tool.conf

linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ ./MakeRelease_PrepFiles -p ../ -e "*.cpp,*.h,Makefile*,*.php,*.sh,*.pl,*.awk" -c ../tool.conf

#build apps itself
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ cd ../Disk_Drive/
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/bin$ make bin

linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Disk_Drive$ cd ../Disk_Drive_Functions/
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Disk_Drive_Functions$ make

linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Disk_Drive_Functions$ cd ../Powerfile_C200
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Powerfile_C200$ make bin

linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Powerfile_C200$ cd ../Generic_Serial_Device
linuxmce@linuxmce:~/sources/pluto/src/Generic_Serial_Device$ make bin

The only non-obvious step here is usage of the use of MakeRelease_PrepFiles tool - as I said, it replaces tags with the predefined values (here from tool.conf) plus cuts out blocks not listed in "blocks=..." section of tool.conf. There are actually some extra tags (and you will probably see warning messages when it fails to replace them) but these three should be enough for start. Please write here if you have more questions.

I was told that the 0710bN (N was 2+ in SVN, now is 3+) code was not in trunk, but rather in the pluto-lmce-branch subdir.

Also, I take it that I have to svn co the source code into a directory on a computer with a working compiled 0710b2 (or b3, but not 0704, and not without any LMCE, right?) installed, right?

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 11:43:07 pm »
I was told that the 0710bN (N was 2+ in SVN, now is 3+) code was not in trunk, but rather in the pluto-lmce-branch subdir.
Probably you missed this news item: FOSS 0710, now the source code is in public SVN server. The 0710 branch is not re-tagged yet, so use trunk for now.

Also, I take it that I have to svn co the source code into a directory on a computer with a working compiled 0710b2 (or b3, but not 0704, and not without any LMCE, right?) installed, right?
Not exactly: the only thing you need from the 0710b2 (or b3), is content of /usr/pluto/lib - copying of libs is a separate step in that snippet I posted (generally it is required because of circular dependence: you cannot build libs w/o running MakeRelease_PrepFiles; you cannot build MakeRelease_PrepFiles w/o libs). So it is enough to have clean Kubuntu 0710 (or Ubuntu 0710) and check code from SVN into some folder, then copy these libs and follow other steps - everything should build well, except for cases when somelib-dev packages are missing. Presence of installed LMCE on builder box is not required for building binaries.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 12:16:05 am »
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 12:39:51 am »
Probably you missed this news item: FOSS 0710, now the source code is in public SVN server. The 0710 branch is not re-tagged yet, so use trunk for now.

Yes, I did miss that article. How did anyone else know about it?

Not exactly: the only thing you need from the 0710b2 (or b3), is content of /usr/pluto/lib - copying of libs is a separate step in that snippet I posted (generally it is required because of circular dependence: you cannot build libs w/o running MakeRelease_PrepFiles; you cannot build MakeRelease_PrepFiles w/o libs). So it is enough to have clean Kubuntu 0710 (or Ubuntu 0710) and check code from SVN into some folder, then copy these libs and follow other steps - everything should build well, except for cases when somelib-dev packages are missing. Presence of installed LMCE on builder box is not required for building binaries.

OK, so I can install Kubuntu 0710 (Ubuntu, too - default GNOME version? Really?), then svn co http://svn.linuxmce.com/pluto/trunk/src into a source root dir, then copy from somewhere the /usr/pluto/lib (from 0710, or is 0704 OK?) into src/lib/ , make in MakeRelease_PrepFiles/ , then append those defs into tools.conf , run MakeRelease_PrepFiles , and then I can make each of those subsystems, right? What's stopping me at that point from making all of 0710?

explains that prep stuff: http://plutohome.com/wiki/index.php/Pluto-CD_Building_HowTo#Build_conf_files

Thanks. Hari, you're evidently building 0710bN from source - what else other than those instructions I just reiterated do I need to do to build all of 0710bN?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 01:02:07 am »
OK, so I can install Kubuntu 0710 (Ubuntu, too - default GNOME version? Really?), then svn co http://svn.linuxmce.com/pluto/trunk/src into a source root dir, then copy from somewhere the /usr/pluto/lib (from 0710, or is 0704 OK?) into src/lib/ , make in MakeRelease_PrepFiles/ , then append those defs into tools.conf , run MakeRelease_PrepFiles , and then I can make each of those subsystems, right? What's stopping me at that point from making all of 0710?
you can do that pretty much everywhere if you tweak the Makefiles manually until you can compile MakeRelease_PrepFiles. So the chicken-egg-problem is not that worse in this case. Etch worked fine for me, too.
explains that prep stuff: http://plutohome.com/wiki/index.php/Pluto-CD_Building_HowTo#Build_conf_files

Thanks. Hari, you're evidently building 0710bN from source - what else other than those instructions I just reiterated do I need to do to build all of 0710bN?
no. I'm building the charonmedia tree from source. Daniel invested much effort to provide a makefile (kudos!)

Maybe it would help if you read the lmce-dev archives. So for short:
those hints give you the possibility to compile the packages in trunk/src/. Maybe thats sufficient for you if you simply want to test/debug/extend/dcegen devices (but watch your libraries if using 0704, LD_LIBRARY_PATH may be helpful)

If you want more than that you might want to look at MakeRelease. It pulls the package information from pluto_main and generates the deb packages (kinda Plut'o'Matic[TM]) for you. Maybe you want to look at the DCEGen process further. You can specify which files to package on the device template.

Building the DB packages gets tricky for now. The hard way: pull all the tables needed from your installation, recreate the sqlCVS repositories and use these as build db. The easy way: get the db dumps from pluto.
As far as i know (and that may be completely wrong) the build scripts for the db packages simply do a sqlCVS dump and then collect the .sqlcvs files.

Have not looked deeply at the installer yet. Maybe some one could shed light on that.

I take your promise that you document that in the Wiki ;)

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 01:06:39 am »

http://linuxmce.org/news.php?id=15#comments  =>  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Version_0710 => http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FOSS_0710

OK, so I can install Kubuntu 0710 (Ubuntu, too - default GNOME version? Really?),
Ubuntu - yes, I don't think there is difference (Ubuntu and Kubuntu differ only in Gnome/KDE packages), so you can use Ubuntu as build system too.

then svn co http://svn.linuxmce.com/pluto/trunk/src into a source root dir, then copy from somewhere the /usr/pluto/lib (from 0710, or is 0704 OK?) into src/lib/ ,
If you are not going to rebuild libraries, then better to copy them from 0710b3, so all other apps will be linked against them (Disk_Drive, etc. - whatever you are going to build). If you don't have 0710b3 installed, take libs from here.

make in MakeRelease_PrepFiles/ , then append those defs into tools.conf , run MakeRelease_PrepFiles , and then I can make each of those subsystems, right? What's stopping me at that point from making all of 0710?
Few things: 1) you may not have g++ installed, and also dev packages (available usually as libsomething-dev in Ubuntu, but there may be certain special requirements for something like Orbiter, I don't know which exactly so this is question of "try and see")  2) if you will get a compile error with complain about some wrong construction like <?-mkr-... this means that my minimalistic tool.conf was not enough and you need to define more tags for substitution and re-run MakeRelease_PrepFiles

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 01:41:50 am »

http://linuxmce.org/news.php?id=15#comments  =>  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Version_0710 => http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FOSS_0710

Those news announcements should get Cc'd to the forum, or really the front page news should be just a link to a forum post. Yet another compartment into which LMCE info falls that people can easily miss. Thanks for the pointer.

OK, so I can install Kubuntu 0710 (Ubuntu, too - default GNOME version? Really?),
Ubuntu - yes, I don't think there is difference (Ubuntu and Kubuntu differ only in Gnome/KDE packages), so you can use Ubuntu as build system too.

I thought that LMCE depends on the KDE packages in Kubuntu, so installing LMCE on a (GNOME) Ubuntu installation would fail.

then svn co http://svn.linuxmce.com/pluto/trunk/src into a source root dir, then copy from somewhere the /usr/pluto/lib (from 0710, or is 0704 OK?) into src/lib/ ,
If you are not going to rebuild libraries, then better to copy them from 0710b3, so all other apps will be linked against them (Disk_Drive, etc. - whatever you are going to build). If you don't have 0710b3 installed, take libs from here.

Thanks for publishing that. But when I've posted these instructions in the wiki, I don't think you want to be the depended source of those files. Probably I'll upload the tarfile to the wiki. Better yet would be for them to live in SVN, so all the dependencies can be satisfied with one co (especially as those scripts will have versions).

make in MakeRelease_PrepFiles/ , then append those defs into tools.conf , run MakeRelease_PrepFiles , and then I can make each of those subsystems, right? What's stopping me at that point from making all of 0710?
Few things: 1) you may not have g++ installed, and also dev packages (available usually as libsomething-dev in Ubuntu, but there may be certain special requirements for something like Orbiter, I don't know which exactly so this is question of "try and see")  2) if you will get a compile error with complain about some wrong construction like <?-mkr-... this means that my minimalistic tool.conf was not enough and you need to define more tags for substitution and re-run MakeRelease_PrepFiles

As long as I have all the "content" against which to run the make, I can make a list of depended packages that must be installed. Maybe later someone can make a metapackage that's hosted at linuxmce.org that in turn depends on those packages. Some good momentum towards installing all of LMCE from .debs , and using APT to ensure the LMCE distro is updateable like a proper debian-type distro.