Author Topic: Database (Pluto_media) ERD  (Read 7050 times)

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Database (Pluto_media) ERD
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:46:49 pm »
I would like to know if there are any diagrams of how the relational Pluto_Media database is structured.

My ultimate goal is to write a script that I can use to batch assigned attributes and cover art to multiple episodes of the same show. This shouldn't be to hard once I figure out the relationships amongst the tables in Pluto_Media.

thanks

lon22

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Database (Pluto_media) ERD
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:01:32 am »
Did you look in the wiki? It contains a page about just that. Search for media pictures and you shall find.

rgds
Oliver

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:49:56 pm »
I didn't look in the right area of the wiki. After doing a search on media pictures, I found it. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Media_Pictures_%28mediapics%29

thanks

lon22

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 09:21:54 am »
That's the one.

It is of interest for me as well, 'cause I have a couple of media files I like to associate with cover art.

rgds
Oliver

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:53:03 am »
That's the one.

It is of interest for me as well, 'cause I have a couple of media files I like to associate with cover art.

rgds
Oliver

Ok, after I create a working script , I will post it.

lon22
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 05:01:37 am by lon22 »

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 06:02:23 am »
We're discussing generating ERDs for each of the v0704 and v0710 in "Graphical view on pluto_main". If you can help with the overall schema view, that would be good for everyone.

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 07:42:26 pm »
We're discussing generating ERDs for each of the v0704 and v0710 in "Graphical view on pluto_main". If you can help with the overall schema view, that would be good for everyone.

I'm willing to help. I have Visio and I'm familiar with ERDs.

Oliver see: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3907.0

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 04:12:15 pm »

I'm willing to help. I have Visio and I'm familiar with ERDs.

Oliver see: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=3907.0

Any luck generating a schema view?

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 06:19:54 pm »
Just to clearify, when you say schema view, you are refering to a graphical schema i.e. ERD and not a data dictionary?

I haven't tried yet, but Visio uses an odbc driver and as long as I can set up a connection to the mySql database, it should be doable. Problems will arise when it comes to datatypes and relationships, for the reverse engineering might not translate everything accuratly.

lon22

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 09:08:34 pm »
Just to clearify, when you say schema view, you are refering to a graphical schema i.e. ERD and not a data dictionary?

I haven't tried yet, but Visio uses an odbc driver and as long as I can set up a connection to the mySql database, it should be doable. Problems will arise when it comes to datatypes and relationships, for the reverse engineering might not translate everything accuratly.

Well, what I want is a picture of the tables and their relations. But any progress in documenting the DB(s), like a data dictionary, would be very helpful. Even just a structured start of one that we can wiki, and people can fill out properly. Which will make an eventual ERD picture usable.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 03:21:39 am »
Maybe royw's mindmap point in the "Graphical view on pluto_main" thread and lon2's data dictionary point in this thread, as well as chriss' ERD points in "Graphical view on pluto_main" suggest a team of people who can work together to wiki a solid beginning of a LMCE DB document.

FWIW, I hope the docs/diagrams include a version number, as 0704 is different from 0710bN, and the different bNs (1, 2, 3 so far, and SVN snapshots), all could be different.