Author Topic: GUI Improvements  (Read 39116 times)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: GUI Improvements
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2008, 05:01:50 pm »
I know how to modify screens now, but how in HADesigner do I start a new skin with it's own directory and file structure from scratch?  I've gotten familiar with using MySQL Query Browser and the other tools to find my way around a skin, but I don't understand how to just start from scratch in a folder other than Basic.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2008, 05:06:14 pm »
Well, I go over this a bit in my first skin screencast, but basically:

* Copy the Basic folder to a new folder, any name.. doesn't matter
* Create a new entry in Skin with your skin's name, and directory, at the very least. Pattern the row after Basic.
* Create any designobj screen overrides you need in Screen_DesignObj, taking into account your new PK_Skin number.

-Thom

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2009, 05:40:37 pm »
I hate to beat a dead horse with a stick, but I really think two skins need to be created that match, one for orbiter devices optimized for touch screen devices, and one for media directors optimized for remote, keyboard, and gyro navigation.  It seems silly to have overly huge buttons and fonts on my media director when surely nobody has or is using their TV as a touch screen, getting up to walk to the tv to change the volume, etc.  Am I misunderstanding something or has this just not been completed yet.  I understand the fallthrough system for different devices in HAD and agree that it should be used when dealing with touch screens, but don't understand why the media directors don't have their own UI to opimize them.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2009, 05:50:01 pm »
Not going to repeat myself. :)

You've already answered this question in your post.

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2009, 09:49:51 am »
I hate to beat a dead horse with a stick, but I really think two skins need to be created that match, one for orbiter devices optimized for touch screen devices, and one for media directors optimized for remote, keyboard, and gyro navigation.  It seems silly to have overly huge buttons and fonts on my media director when surely nobody has or is using their TV as a touch screen, getting up to walk to the tv to change the volume, etc.  Am I misunderstanding something or has this just not been completed yet.  I understand the fallthrough system for different devices in HAD and agree that it should be used when dealing with touch screens, but don't understand why the media directors don't have their own UI to opimize them.

We use ASUS Eee Top's in UI1 as 'kitchen top' or wall mounted touchscreens - everyone I have shown one of these too loves them. Using the UI1 Orbiter like this on a touchscreen makes you realise how good this UI really is... the touchscreen is what it was made for. Same goes for Tschak's WebDT Orbiter to of course....

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2009, 02:18:56 am »

We use ASUS Eee Top's in UI1 as 'kitchen top' or wall mounted touchscreens - everyone I have shown one of these too loves them. Using the UI1 Orbiter like this on a touchscreen makes you realise how good this UI really is... the touchscreen is what it was made for. Same goes for Tschak's WebDT Orbiter to of course....

Andrew

Andrew - what kind of price do you pay for them (or rather resell them for)? Trying to see what is a reasonable price locally in Aus...