Author Topic: Implementation of Device Templates  (Read 4068 times)

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Implementation of Device Templates
« on: February 11, 2009, 06:12:10 am »
Hi,

Is there a way in web admin to determine if there is an implementation Or intended to be) for a particular device template.

Some device templates do not have code, some are GSD based, some are C++ coded (or expected to be executables).
Is there a way by looking at the device template to determine which is which?

Apologies if I missed something obvious.

My confusion is coming from looking at PVR-250 device template and trying to work out what or where the code is that reads the parameter values and calls the scripts specified in them. Does this default to some generic behaviour, and if so, where is this code?

Regards
Darren

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Implementation of Device Templates
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:41:26 am »
Device templates that use a compiled binary will have a Package selected in the first section of the device template. These packages can be viewed in more detail in the web admin Advanced->Software->Packages.

GSD devices will have Generic_Serial_Device in the "Command Line" field towards the top of the template, and will use the "Pluto Generic Serial Device" package.

Both will have the "Implements DCE" checkbox checked.

All the rest pretty much don't have any compiled or GSD programming associated with it

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:15:46 pm »
Hi,

I think this is a good idea... Maybe we could color name of template regarding its type on web-admin ... (yellow for GSD, blue for binary, etc....)

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 01:51:54 pm »
Jondecker76,

You sure about the package thing? It doesn't seem to hold true in all circumstances.

To the second part of the question; Looking at the PVR250 device template (which has a package selected but does not have implements DCE checked) - how can I work out how the parameters are being used. It has several parameters which are strings representing shell scripts. Where is the code that reads these parameters and executes the shell scripts?
Rather than just the answer to that I would prefer to find out how to find that info out.

thanks
Darren

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 02:13:20 pm »
you are correct - however I thought you were only speaking of devices that had a driver of some sort - in which case Implements DCE will always be checked.

Some device templates only require an external package for example, in which case Implements DCE will not be checked, but it will have a package listed. This is how LMCE knows what dependancies to install.

In short, Implements DCE will tell LMCE that there is some sort of driver (executable, GSD whatever) that either sends commands, datat or responds to events.

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 08:50:39 pm »
darrenmason i also have the same question, i have created a template for the HVR-1600 and i am having problems with the #164 PNP Create Without Prompting(bool) making hal detect the card 6 to 8 times ?
For a Current List of Plug and Play Capture Cards/Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 09:48:22 pm »
you are correct - however I thought you were only speaking of devices that had a driver of some sort - in which case Implements DCE will always be checked.

Some device templates only require an external package for example, in which case Implements DCE will not be checked, but it will have a package listed. This is how LMCE knows what dependancies to install.

In short, Implements DCE will tell LMCE that there is some sort of driver (executable, GSD whatever) that either sends commands, datat or responds to events.

Probably should distinguish what is meant by driver here - the driver for a device that interacts with the DCE "network" ie receives/sends DCE commands and events between itself and the router/other-DCE-devices, and translates them into actions for the "thing" it is controlling. As opposed to common or garden "drivers", for instance a driver that controls a remote like the Fiire - this has a device "driver" that needs to be installed, but doesn't interact with the DCE system at all. It is just a normal system driver that interacts with the kernel. In this instance the device template is just used to allow pnp identification and installation of the required driver, no actual DCE interaction is implied...