Author Topic: What softphone to use for external winxp client ?  (Read 6465 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
What softphone to use for external winxp client ?
« on: January 11, 2008, 01:06:11 pm »
Hi,

I'm slowly beggining to put new LMCE system in my new demo house with all needed functionalities. I'm about to work on adding telephony features.

I'm stuck with selection of best softphone to be used on laptop on remote locations, to be client for LMCE's Asterisk...

What I'd like to see is also video functionality. Currently I'm considering Linphone (it supports video and our Embedded Orbiter phones are based on that platform - so I guess we could eventually see also embedded video phone on MDs ? )...

But I have problem connecting it to Asterisk - it also has lack of support for phone books, etc...

What softphone do you you most easily inside and outside your local network ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: What softphone to use for external winxp client ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »
Hi,

I'm slowly beggining to put new LMCE system in my new demo house with all needed functionalities. I'm about to work on adding telephony features.

I'm stuck with selection of best softphone to be used on laptop on remote locations, to be client for LMCE's Asterisk...

What I'd like to see is also video functionality. Currently I'm considering Linphone (it supports video and our Embedded Orbiter phones are based on that platform - so I guess we could eventually see also embedded video phone on MDs ? )...

But I have problem connecting it to Asterisk - it also has lack of support for phone books, etc...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

We use X-Lite
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

frodmda

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 01:54:12 pm »

I will recomend something from counterpath y use eyebeam as a softphone for xp.

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 01:19:22 pm »
Hi,

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

We use X-Lite

Thanks for advice, tried and it's great. I'm even trying to get video calls going....

But I do have problems when I try to register from external network... And if I remember from old "Asterisk" days, you have to setup few ports to be proper (I rememeber 5060 TCP and range of UDP for audio? ).. Recently I simply used two accounts (one from external and one from internal on other softphones), but x-lite only allows 1 account, so I need to have that account to be able to work from LAN and from external locations...

Before in the old house, where my core was pppoe client on external network card it seemed I could use "external ip" from my LAN without problems, but now in new house I have better gateway that has router, so I have core with simple external local ip and internal local-local ip and here it seems that I cannot use real external IP inside my LMCE network...

How do you setup X-lite ? I'd kindly ask if you can very briefly put info in here, and I'll make Wiki page out of it...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:20:04 pm »
Bulek,

Did you ever have any luck with this? I'm having a similar-sounding issue with registering my sip softphone from an outside pc. I've got no router between the core and my cable modem, I've disabled the firewall, set the appropriate ports to core_internal in the pluto-admin firewall settings. Asterisk CLI shows no indication that it is getting any registration requests (i've tried 'sip set debug')

I've tried SJphone and X-lite with the same results. I can ping the core from the remote pc, and 5060 is open.

I have no problem setting up softphones on the internal network.

Thanks,

Dave

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:14:52 am »
Bulek,

Did you ever have any luck with this? I'm having a similar-sounding issue with registering my sip softphone from an outside pc. I've got no router between the core and my cable modem, I've disabled the firewall, set the appropriate ports to core_internal in the pluto-admin firewall settings. Asterisk CLI shows no indication that it is getting any registration requests (i've tried 'sip set debug')

I've tried SJphone and X-lite with the same results. I can ping the core from the remote pc, and 5060 is open.

Thanks,

Dave
Hi,

some time ago Andrew promised to put more info on wiki (they are using X_Lite sucessfully). In the mean time, I'm using Zoiper, cause it has also IAX protocol that is well known to be more firewall friendly (you must open only one port 4569 and that's it)...

HTH,

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

lemming86_au

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Josh Hagger
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 02:13:53 pm »
I have to agree with Bulek, Zoiper is the way to go, we use it in all our asterisk installations for remote extensions.
External SIP clients & firewalls tend not to mix very well & can be a problem if you are on a network you don't control that doesn't support it correctly.

Regards,
Josh

andy123

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
    • VOIP
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 01:57:22 pm »
Hi,

I am using skype softphone device to make call through my system on windows xp. I found skype very cheap to make international calls.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 09:24:13 pm »
Hi,

I am using skype softphone device to make call through my system on windows xp. I found skype very cheap to make international calls.

Andy - are you saying that you used skype to connect to LMCE as its SIP client?? I wasn't aware that they had added that to skype yet.... if not, then what was the point of your post?

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 06:24:09 pm »
I too use Zoiper to connect winxp to my lmce system!
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Aletha Emmy

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 01:16:26 am »
VoIP companies come and go, and some local phone providers offer VoIP but do not have a national presence... your best option not to get stuck like the people from sunrocket did, is to go with your cable modem providers VoIP, or verizon voicewing... you know that they will be in business for a while... otherwise keep with vonage, (although there have been some complaints on here lately... but then again people dont come on here to say, hey everythings working great...) if you dont mind a softphone, and want service really cheap, skype is the way to go... I think skype is more for a supplimental service then your only source of phone service..

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 06:12:37 am »
Please do not suggest this. This is incorrect information.

The VOIP of the cable companies is proprietary, and CAN NOT BE USED WITH LINUXMCE!

Use a provider like Broadvoice, when you are in the US.

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 12:09:27 pm »
Bulek,

Thanks,

Dave
Hi,

some time ago Andrew promised to put more info on wiki (they are using X_Lite sucessfully). In the mean time, I'm using Zoiper, cause it has also IAX protocol that is well known to be more firewall friendly (you must open only one port 4569 and that's it)...

HTH,

Regards,

Bulek.

Ooops!

We do use X_Lite on Win32 machines around the office here and some of those are connecting to Asterisk running on Core's...I'll ask my co-worker Win to post some info on getting this setup working.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk