Author Topic: XEN-ized dedicated Core Install Script ?  (Read 4011 times)

chewi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
XEN-ized dedicated Core Install Script ?
« on: January 10, 2008, 08:30:42 pm »
Hi,

what do other people think of the possibility of an installation-script für a xen based para-virtualized core ?

My vision is that there is an install script that asks for a path for the kernel image as well as for a path for the rootfs and just installs it from the dvd right away.
Maybe even a basic config file for xen.

With the option in xen to forward pci-devices I suppose, tv-cards could be forwarded to that core as well.

And for the developers, you could have a productive- and a testing-image of LMCE and be able to switch easily.
It would be faster than vmware I guess, as it is para-virtualized and I do not know about vmware's abilities to forward pci-devices to a guest.

Does anyone of you know about xen ? I'm still new to it...
Does anyone of you know about the xenbr-bridges especially ? I'm thinking about 2 network segments; 1 for md's and 1 for working pcs... is partitioning of xen virtual interfaces possible ?
Could there be problems with performance especially of mythtv-backend ? DanielK mentioned something about special kernel settings ?

Or has somebody even done all this already ? Could you provide a script for the rest of us then ?

And finally; do you think it is actually worth the work and should that script be shipped with the dvd ?

Best regards, Chewi

//Edit: Typo
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:32:25 pm by chewi »

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: XEN-ized dedicated Core Install Script ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:57:42 pm »
I saw a post with someone with XEN on FC7 that had most things working.

I am all for this, tried with xen and FC8 DVD did get dd correctly

Haven't tried it yet with 2 cd method.
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/