Author Topic: Where the Source Code Lives  (Read 4784 times)

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Where the Source Code Lives
« on: January 10, 2008, 06:55:56 am »
The LMCE source code seems like it lives in the Charon Media SVN, but the LMCE wiki "Source Code" article points to a SourceForge SVN. Is Charon Media the actual source? If so, I will update the wiki.

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where the Source Code Lives
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 07:37:43 am »
The LMCE source code seems like it lives in the Charon Media SVN, but the LMCE wiki "Source Code" article points to a SourceForge SVN. Is Charon Media the actual source? If so, I will update the wiki.

I think it is. I checked out the source last night from Charon, and it seemed up to date.

Best Regards,
Richard

chewi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 12:08:33 pm »
It's definately Charonmedia...
Maybe Paul could shut that sf-project down or at least clear the svn on sf so there is no future misunderstandings...

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:52:35 pm »
I updated the wiki. But the old high-level description of the code in each of the main subfolders was valuable, though now probably at least partiall obsolete. It would be very useful for an updated version to live in the wiki.

rafelbev

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 04:53:51 pm »
I was just about to do a checkout of the tree to start playing at it ...

Thanks will post on this thread regarding my progress and maybe updating the wiki if things are old

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 03:40:48 pm »
http://svn.charonmedia.org/ definitely. Only Paul can close down the sourceforge cvs, but it does have some historical value as I started the charon repository at LMCE 0704, while the sourceforge cvs contains LMCE 1.0

There are two trees to pay attention to in the charomedia repo. The trunk obviously, and the vendor/pluto-lmce-branch.

The trunk branch is the one that will compile on an LMCE 0704 system, while the pluto branch contains syncs from pluto's private branch (with a few NDAed and irrelevant pluto specific components removed.)

For bugs in the pluto branch (the one the beta's are based off of) use Mercurial to report any bugs. For bugs specific to the charonmedia trunk use the trac bug tracker at svn.charonmedia.org.

PS My plan is to move the charonmedia.org svn to svn.linuxmce.org to avoid any confusion, but Paul still controls the domain name and the current linuxmce.org server isn't equipped to handle the strain of an svn server in addition to it's current duties.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 03:57:44 pm »
http://svn.charonmedia.org/ definitely. Only Paul can close down the sourceforge cvs, but it does have some historical value as I started the charon repository at LMCE 0704, while the sourceforge cvs contains LMCE 1.0

There are two trees to pay attention to in the charomedia repo. The trunk obviously, and the vendor/pluto-lmce-branch.

The trunk branch is the one that will compile on an LMCE 0704 system, while the pluto branch contains syncs from pluto's private branch (with a few NDAed and irrelevant pluto specific components removed.)

For bugs in the pluto branch (the one the beta's are based off of) use Mercurial to report any bugs. For bugs specific to the charonmedia trunk use the trac bug tracker at svn.charonmedia.org.

Those resources are all valuable. But their value would be much easier to exploit if they were all available at the same server, and through the same Mantis GUI. That kind of integration is what makes LMCE so powerful, but its fragmentation currently makes adding new developers (including myself) hard, and probably slows down existing developers. It's an important limit to scaling the LMCE developer community that we should target eliminating.

In the meantime, do you think you could update the "Building From Source" article (which currently contradictorily points at all of SourceForge/SVN, Charon Media, and the Mirrors page for source, each of which is a different version)? And maybe the "LMCE Mirrors page, which lists only 0704. Once the Building page is updated, I can update the basic Source Code article.

PS My plan is to move the charonmedia.org svn to svn.linuxmce.org to avoid any confusion, but Paul still controls the domain name and the current linuxmce.org server isn't equipped to handle the strain of an svn server in addition to it's current duties.

I've got an extra hosted server (P4/4.2GHz, dedicated root, up to 1.2TB:mo bandwidth) that I could offer to host a SVN website, if it's sufficient.

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 09:34:42 pm »
That kind of integration is what makes LMCE so powerful, but its fragmentation currently makes adding new developers (including myself) hard, and probably slows down existing developers. It's an important limit to scaling the LMCE developer community that we should target eliminating.

I agree.

In the meantime, do you think you could update the "Building From Source" article (which currently contradictorily points at all of SourceForge/SVN, Charon Media, and the Mirrors page for source, each of which is a different version)?

Good idea. It's actually getting much easier to build things now, but it is not yet well documented. I'll work on updating that document this week...