Author Topic: Transferring main hard disk content to bigger disk ?  (Read 4203 times)

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Transferring main hard disk content to bigger disk ?
« on: January 08, 2008, 07:07:46 pm »
Hi,

I have 320G IDE hard disk that my hybrid boots from. I have another fresh 500G ide hard disk and would like to transfer content to it, and replace smaller disk completely...

Any easy procedure to do that (regarding different size of disks - partitions) ?

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring main hard disk content to bigger disk ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:47:20 pm »
Put the new HD in, partition and format it.  Copy the contents over, when booted from a liveCD preferably (make sure to preserve file attributes) and edit etc/fstab and boot/grub/menu.lst to update the UUIDs.  Take the old drive out and use a liveCD (again) to install GRUB as the bootloader on the new drive.  That should do it.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

kg6ejp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:59:22 pm »
You could set up the partition tables and dd everything to the respective partitions on the new HDD.
Work in progress

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 10:12:40 pm »
Zaerc - more generally, how well does LMCE handle you moving media around? Especially making significant changes to your media folder structure like moving a folder with media content from one location to another. Can the media library database and updatemedia handle this? Or are you likely to end up with "orphaned" media entries pointing to the old location and "duplicate" media entries pointing to the new? What about if you move that media from one data>public>audio,etc folder structure to a completely different one on a different drive (say from your core to a NAS or windows share)...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 05:19:22 pm »
Zaerc - more generally, how well does LMCE handle you moving media around? Especially making significant changes to your media folder structure like moving a folder with media content from one location to another. Can the media library database and updatemedia handle this? Or are you likely to end up with "orphaned" media entries pointing to the old location and "duplicate" media entries pointing to the new? What about if you move that media from one data>public>audio,etc folder structure to a completely different one on a different drive (say from your core to a NAS or windows share)...
To be honest I don't know, I'm assuming that the updatemedia script handles this, but you'd have to do a few tests to be sure I guess.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:28:08 pm »

I have had some experience with moving media around. If you move the media without using the Admin website you will get orphaned media entries. You can easily remove the orphaned media entrie in pluto but if you want to avoid this you must move the files using the Admin website. If you move files for example from data>public>audio to a NAS or a Windows Share the result is the same as above. You will get duplicate entries if you move them without using the Admin website. Again easily correctable but a lot of work if you move around a big number of files.
I also would like to mention that it is my experience it is easier to add a new disk as Windows share then adding a new disk to the core (dedicated one). Maybe I'm doing things wrong but when I add a new disk on my Windows server I can easily add it (manually) in Pluto. When I add a new (correct partioned and formatted) disk to the core I can't get it to work correctly. But as I said it could be me.
Hope this was helpfull.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 12:06:08 am »
You could set up the partition tables and dd everything to the respective partitions on the new HDD.
Hi,

it seems like easiest solution. Can you give more detailed info how to do it ?

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 01:02:18 am »
you must move the files using the Admin website.

I could not figure out how to move content (movies or music) from the admin site. I looked under Files & Media and there were no options for moving content. Just deleting. Where is this feature?

Thingie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 05:12:20 pm »
you must move the files using the Admin website.

I could not figure out how to move content (movies or music) from the admin site. I looked under Files & Media and there were no options for moving content. Just deleting. Where is this feature?

Open the Admin website and go to 'Files & Media' (on top of the page) and select in the scroll down menu 'Media Files Sync' (See pict1). Now on the left you navigate to the correct folder (the Windows Shares are under 'other' -> see pict2). If you select a folder the files in this folder are displayed on the right. Select the correct file and you wil get a screen as shown in pict3. Now click on the 'Move file to other directory' and a new window wil pop up. In the new window you can navigate to the correct disk and/or folder by clicking on the name of the disk or folder. If you have reached the correct disk or folder click on the corresponding 'Chose destination' button. The moving of the file will now begin. To move entire directories you must select the folder when it's displayed on the right side of the screen and then choose 'Move file to other directory'.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 06:39:01 pm »
Thanks, I would not have found that on my own. I kept looking one level up. I guess I'm still too Windoze centric.