Author Topic: 1" and or 2.2" Low Power Stations  (Read 13124 times)

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
1" and or 2.2" Low Power Stations
« on: January 08, 2008, 04:31:15 pm »
Posted in wrong thread... re-posting here.

Hi all,

Currently working on getting all hardware up-front before installing LinuxMCE in my home solution. Currently, just built my own version of the "FiireEngine" based on the specifications of the motherboard and other components listed on the wiki and some pre-existing case equipment I had for an old server. I haven't seen a whole lot of "confirmed" specifications for 2.2" or 1" build-your-own replicas. So I thought I'd ask.

Currently I have 3 HDTV TVs (NTSC not European), main one is downstairs, most of my components utilize RS232C. I'd like to equip each of these TVs with the "smallest" un-noticeable, quiet, and Energy-efficient specs as well. Obviously, my first choice was the 1" FiireStation. However, I "prefer" to pay with AMEX, and guess what... the FiireStore doesn't allow payment via AMEX...

So I was wondering if all the components, drivers, etc. were available to build my own 1". I'd like to keep it as close to the specs of the 1" FiireStation as possible. I haven't seen much posting on this. Again, my biggest concerns are: Size, Power Consumption (very important), Quiet, and compatibility.

I haven't "installed" LinuxMCE on my server yet, however the following are the specs:

ASUS m2npv-vm motherboard BIOS version 0901 with the Component Video adapter attached and SPDIF
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ CPU
4 1TB each Seagate SATA hard drives + 250GB Main
Realtek 8139 as the 2nd network card
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE
1GB RAM
generic CD/DVD +/-RW
Disk Drive

I'd be curious if there's anything I can also add to this that will allow me record HD from Comcast (Motorola DCT3400, which has Componenet, HDMI, 2 Firewire Ports, a USB Port on the front, an Ethernet jack). Also have a Sony BDP-S300 for Blu-Ray, and was curious if I can Rip BD Discs somehow to stream them over the other TVs.

Anyways, I realize these are loaded questions, but I'd appreciate any answers. Thanks!

v/r

USAF-LT-G

ddamron

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
Re: 1" and or 2.2" Low Power Stations
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 04:36:20 pm »
Hi again, Thanks for reposting in proper thread...

Check out the hardware wiki page at http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Category:Hardware
As I said before, I'd stay away from the via based products if you want UI2..

If your ok with UI1, then via products are just fine..

HTH,

Dan
The only intuitive interface is the nipple.  After that it's all learned.
My other computer is your windows box.
I'm out of my mind.  Back in 5 minutes.
Q:  What's Red and smells like blue paint?

A:  Red Paint.

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 04:38:57 pm »
Yea I already checked into this section... and it lists eamplesof the miniPC and others, but really not specifics that one could compare to the 1" or 2.2" stations. The real goal is to find compatible hardware with the most functionality for the thin clients, to fit in the smallest form factor available, and is the "least" noticeable and least power hungry.

Hmm something more along the lines of the "MD Newbie Pack Slim I" I would think... supports UI2, but only 720p... I'd be more inclined to this solution but with 1080i.... ideas?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 04:44:12 pm by usaf-lt-g »

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 04:45:16 pm »
I'm sure SOME of those boards could be put into a 1U case..
the thinner, the more expensive.. (but you knew that)

I'd also bet there is a 1U case with VESA mounts..

Another option for you is to go for a small HTPC case.. it'll be less noisy..
That ASUS motherboard is (I believe) the same one in my Fiire Engine.. and it works well.
HTH

Dan

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 05:11:42 pm »
I saw this, the MM220 from convergenthome:

Features
Software: LinuxMCE 0704 or 0710
User Interface: UI2 with Overlay
Processor: Intel 1.86Ghz Celeron M440. Low power under 45W with ultra low noise fan cooling system
RAM: 512MB
Internal Optical drive: Slot-in Multi UJ-85J Panasonic
Network: Gigabit Ethernet
Video: Embedded Intel 945GM - External via DVI-I Port ; 85Hz Refresh Rate:1600x1200 pixels, up to 32bit Colors
IO: DVI-I port, S-Video, USBx4, DC-in jack, IEEE 1394, AV-in, Headphone/ Line out jack share w/ SPDIF out, Microphone/ Line in jack, RJ-11/ RJ-45, 3-in-1 Card Reader , CIR MCE Remote Control
Dimensions: 42 (h) x 172 (w) x 226 (d) (all dimensions in mm)
Weight: 1300g

Specifically noting the UI2 with Overlay... is this the best? Or is this not AlphaBlending?  Also... I noted this was only available to the UK... :( So anyone have more specs on this for someone like me in the US?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 05:32:26 pm by usaf-lt-g »

ddamron

• Alumni
    • View Profile
    • My LinuxMCE User Page
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 07:03:55 pm »
Not sure, TotallyMaxed would be the guy to ask about that...

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:52:39 pm »
So... does anyone know anything else about this? I still haven't figured out what to go with for thin clients...

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:16:57 pm »
The 1" Fiirestation is a specific hardware from a Via connected supplier meant for digital signage. its a custom MB in a custom box with no fans. And has the UI and format limitations of the Via CX700 chipset, including no H.264 HD.
The larger Fiirestations are built on the Via EPIX 15000 board. It will fit a 1U rack box like the Supermicro's. There are no 1U VESA mount boxes I know of. And 1U is 1.75" FWIW.
The Fiire price on the 1" box  is very competitive with the commercial price for it. Its limitations are enough to be annoying and will get more so in the future, but it may be possible to repurpose those for other uses in the future or sell them for a small loss.

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 11:13:12 pm »
Ok, well... so that gets back to my original question... I want something that's small, that I can either build myself or purchase pre-built in the US that is 1) Low Power 2) Supports UI2 with alpha-blending 3) HD capable 4) small like the 1" but don't have to be exact.

I still don't know what my options are really...

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 01:13:04 am »
We're talking a thin client... a Media Director... I already have a core. I don't know necessarily whether or not my Core can record in HD (but that's another question)... my primary concern right now is for my MDs.

Got 3 Plasma HD tvs... need 3 HD capable MDs, smallest most unnoticeable form factor possible, ultra low power consumption, and supports UI2 with alpha-blending. Doesn't have to be a manufactured thing per say, could be components i buy separately and build myself. That's it... bada bing bada boom.

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 07:04:27 pm »
Was looking at this:

MD Newbie Pack Slim I

Particularly the MSI_Media_Live_Mainboard that's used in it.

Doesn't appear to allow PXE boot ... ?? Or am I off on that one. Is there anyway I could use this entire setup with a different board that's capable of both UI2 and PXE Boot?

??

Hipper

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 11:19:45 pm »
I have done allot of digging and have not yet found the dream 2 inch setup. I am also in the US and can't find that Mobo anywhere. Part of my frustration is that the Wiki is a bit unorganized and it can be hard to find anything useful that you can trust 100%. The Fiire systems look nice but I don’t want to shell out to get soethign that will stop being suppored after a few releases and new kernels. I have used VIA boards in the past and really like them and want to use one. I was thinking it might be possible to put one in the thin case with visa mount and use the one pci slot for an invidia card that supports UI2. I also am looking into the possibility of working on the Openchrome composite and GLX buffer support needed to get UI2 on the Via chips but I don't have allot of free time to spend on the code right now. Recently I was thinking of using an old P4m laptop that I have as a thin client. Maybe you can find a good deal on an old 2ghz or lower laptop on eBay that has svid out but most old laptops wont have HD out so that wont help you with HD TVs unless someone makes an HD PCMCIA card ;)

If I come across anything interesting ill be sure to drop you a line.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 11:44:15 pm »
Was looking at this:

MD Newbie Pack Slim I

Particularly the MSI_Media_Live_Mainboard that's used in it.

Doesn't appear to allow PXE boot ... ?? Or am I off on that one. Is there anyway I could use this entire setup with a different board that's capable of both UI2 and PXE Boot?

??
the onboard gigabit nic does PXE boot just fine. Of course you can swap the board for (mATX), but be aware of the low profile (fan). I simply chose the MS-7329 because it has plenty of outputs (HDMI, Component, Digital Audio, 8ch analog) and was tested throughly by totallymaxed.
I use the R-variant of the LC-19 case but did not connect the case fan. It's nearly silent (can't hear it from a few feet apart).

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

usaf-lt-g

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 04:44:25 am »
What about this! :) Not sure if it would support UI2 with the component outs... says HDTV outs. Not sure what compatibility would be like either... I was thinking this:

VIA EPIA NX - ITX-Nano based board
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=470

and

SilverStone Lascala LC08 Home Theater PC Case
http://sharkacomputers.com/silalcsi1.html

By the way the Wiki has the SilverStone case spelled wrong... it's not LaCase... its Lascala. Had a hard time finding it at first.... anyways what kind of UI could use with a board like this?

Hook it up with 1GB of Ram for $25
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA21371&CartID=done&nextloc=

And the LVDS Module
VIA LVDS Video Module - LVDS-08G
http://www.google.com/product_url?q=http://www.e-itx.com/via-lvds-08g-epia-nx.html&fr=AIOtD6JpWtL7ytd7mtb9ZBfxLNv-ueuKbQAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title

Seems to me like a total solution for $443.85 for a Media Center... Low power, Small as heck on the form factor, high quality parts.... just not sure if it's compatible and supports UI2. Could just add a component adapter too since it has that on-board.

Am I off here?

:o

v/r
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 04:59:06 am by usaf-lt-g »

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 07:17:37 am »
The board is the same as the Via EPIX without the connectors. You don't need to get so extreme in size. You can get UI1 and I believe UI2 overlay with it. UI2 blended isn't an option.