Author Topic: does 0704 work on amd 64?  (Read 9587 times)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: does 0704 work on amd 64?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 11:17:06 pm »
Also I was wondering why can't we do an install from NFS.. ? that would make like much easier..
because nobody did an installer for that yet :)

should not be hard to make a custom initrd for nfs insall. The quick installer just extracts tar files to the target partition. Just enable networking in the initrd and modify the scripts.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

deepsin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 11:26:50 pm »
Also I was wondering why can't we do an install from NFS.. ? that would make like much easier..
because nobody did an installer for that yet :)

should not be hard to make a custom initrd for nfs insall. The quick installer just extracts tar files to the target partition. Just enable networking in the initrd and modify the scripts.

best regards,
Hari

Now I am familiar with how to modify initrd on RedHat platforms so lets see how good/bad/ughly will it be to do it here.. Plus the bigger problem is what all network drivers should be put into initrd as without that it will not work..
Off course scripts will be the second thing.. let me take a look at it and see if I can do that.. ?

If someone else is already looking at it then I would love to help them too.. Otherwise I will start looking at it as soon as I download the iso file.

Thanks

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 11:36:18 pm »
Plus the bigger problem is what all network drivers should be put into initrd as without that it will not work..
all networking modules included in 0704 take up 7.6MB. Why not simply include them all?

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 12:33:31 am »
Wouldn't you need some user interaction to get the system to find the right share and image? Not to mention that the network environment will change completely after reboot with the core becoming the DHCP server etc. If that can be resolved it would be great to install from an image on a network share.

deepsin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 01:20:39 am »
Plus the bigger problem is what all network drivers should be put into initrd as without that it will not work..
all networking modules included in 0704 take up 7.6MB. Why not simply include them all?

best regards,
Hari
Then for sure we can add it ...7.6 MB is peanuts.. :)
Thanks and regards

deepsin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 01:22:42 am »
Wouldn't you need some user interaction to get the system to find the right share and image? Not to mention that the network environment will change completely after reboot with the core becoming the DHCP server etc. If that can be resolved it would be great to install from an image on a network share.

Yes. Some config will be needed. Though there is a way where all the options given are temporary only and used only for installation. Once the installation completes, it should proceed as usual... at least in theory... :) Once I have it and I give it a shot we will for sure uncover other issues though..

Thanks